1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[From GARM with love] China v. GM Daryl Morey’s personal views

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B-Bob, Oct 6, 2019.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

2. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Yo what do u guys think of this propagenda:

US don't really care about "freedom" in other countries around the world. It's more like a weapon they created to help turn people in emeny countries against their government.

For any US ally like Saudi Arabia), US will either support the government or keep quiet or minimize any "freedom" controversy there.

For any enemy country or ally of a enemy country, US would do their best to maximize the "freedom" controversy, encourage rebellion against the government to destroy stability, and possibly create new ally there.

Thats why u could have US's voice on the "freedom" in some regions completely change when the alliance with their government break up.

For any other country, depends if they have oil or other benefits for the US, if not, US wouldn't care.

Either way people in the small powers caught between major powers will always lose and suffer.

#102 KingLeoric, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think it's fair to say that as a country that promotes democratic values, it has been inconsistent in its partnerships and dealings throughout history. One big part of that is because the US, unlike China, rarely speaks with a unified voice. The politburo is secretive, difficult to thoroughly analyze in its deliberative process, and presents with mostly a singular voice. I think many non US citizens make the mistake of not recognizing how weird the US is in its government: divided in many ways at many levels, and changing in direction depending on the most recent election. So when you write that the US doesn't care about freedom, the more accurate statement is, some within the government do and some don't, and how much they care and how that impacts policy outcomes depends on a lot of factors that are fluid.

4. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Interesting, I definitely feel the internal conflicts among different political views among Americans and some may care about "freedom" more than others. My impression though is the a lot of the common people in America do care about "freedom", they would speak up and take it to the streets when necessary. haven't witnessed politicians actually caring about "freedom". Throughout Bush, Obama and Trump administrations, the people in the government were very different, and a lot of policies have changed, but what are the moves that have been made by these different governments to other countries around the world throughout the years that was actually for the benefit of "freedom", not to improve Americans position in power or reduce the enemies' position in power?

5. HTM

HTM Member

If the U.S. only conducted international relations with "free" and "democratic" countries they would only conduct international relations with like 25/195 countries of the world.

The U.S. can promote civil rights/civil freedoms and representative government but they cannot limit themselves to only having international relations with countries that do. That's not realistic. Unfortunately, a lot of countries have not been able to get there yet.

6. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Yea for sure, people can disagree on things and still be friends. I am questioning when US choose who to fight for, support, ignore, criticize or attack, is "freedom" a factor at all? If yes, what are some evidence of that?

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If you're truly interested, here's a white paper that you can knock out in 20 to 40 minutes. Promoting freedom and simultaneously reducing power to "enemies" isn't inconsistent if your values are opposed to non-democracies, and those are so-called enemies.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjACegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw3DJT0giT8dh9JKroW5Ilv6

Nook, KingLeoric and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There are many countries that are not free or democratic, from your perspective. The world is a more peaceful place when we all have something to lose in a single global economy. Split global economies will always lead to wars as one side will need resources that have been shut out to them. Further countries develop better under prosperous conditions than tearing it apart in civil wars.

10. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I have to ask this question. Aren't you guys using the EXACT same double standard? How can any American now all of a sudden pretend to be "woke" about the blatant human rights violations of the CCP, and NOT be in favor of human rights/diversity/blah blah blah in America?

Well I guess they probably could but their double standard and hypocrisy should be noted as well.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. TheresTheDagger

2 things:

1. Comparing ANYTHING that's happening currently in the USA to China's human rights crimes is a stupid and false analogy.

2. I don't have the national/international podium an NBA coach or player has. What I think or say doesn't matter cause nobody hears it.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

@B-Bob Bob you are onto something here ...

This was particularly bad because they view Morey as their "friend" of the years. Morey is by far, I mean a lot, the most well-known US sports GM in China because of his ties with Yao, Rockets, and China.

There was a sense of betrayal in all of this. And also Rockets benefited significantly in China over the years ...

All of this made this a bit of unique situation. Unfortunately, no one on the ground was telling Morey all of that. Instead, it got escalated into defending the values of the US. As you know, there is no real issue with freedom of speech in jeopardy here. All of this could have been handled much more gracefully and swiftly. All they wanted is an apology from the beginning. Morey could have come out swiftly stating - it was an impulsive tweet on his part, he did not research, and in no means he supports the separatist movement and other unlawful acts (as you can see, there are HK posters here yelling independence of HK will be won on the street with tears - nonsense that Morey had no intention to stand by - but this was how his tweet was perceived to support that), he condemns that, and he was merely concerned with the safety of his friend in HK. Instead, he waited two days - to come out with a statement that it's his personal opinion and still stood by it, which made it even worse. Come on. I lost some of the confidence I had in Morey for him doing that like a 16-year-old.

Don't play with the fire if you don't know how to handle it. That's what it is.

#112 YallMean, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Miracle likes this.
  13. Miracle

Miracle Member

That is a nice summary of the Chinese sentiment & reactions, as well as what Morey could have done to get back the support of Chinese fans. I am curious how much US backlash he would get had he stated like that though.

14. Buck Turgidson

I read some of your posts.

15. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Yo Hongkong protesters gotta up your game and try harder to provoke the government otherwise you'll lose attention to your competitors.

[​IMG]

16. TheresTheDagger

17. dmoneybangbang

It’s a Hobbesian world and I feel confident saying America is a better superpower for the well being for the world than the USSR or China.

We use “freedom” and China uses “harmony”.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

I think that's subjective. I would take US over USSR, but would take China over US.

While US as a super power have definitely participated more in all the different conflicts around the world, did those regions become better places afterwards? I think the outcomes are debatable. I wonder if US regret taking out the Sadam of Iraq in 2003, the region seems to have become even more complex and less stable.

China has mostly focused on the problems within its own borders, and has not played much of a role in the other issues around the world. Whenever there is some conflict somewhere in the world, China always goes "hope everybody calms down and resolve the differences peacefully" its rather boring. In recent years China has started helping a lot of countries building infrastructures (of course while making money, creating jobs for Chinese people, increasing influence and stuff), overall I think that's a positive thing they are doing for the world, in a peaceful way. Now as they invest more and more, would they start to get involved in the conflicts around the world? Hard to say, I would rather not see that. I think having 1.5 billion people staying away from war is good enough contribution to world peace.

Now I think if US, with their own ideologies of course, could take China's approach, help other countries develop without getting involved in their conflicts and let themselves figure those things out, that would be the best for the world.

19. WNBA

WNBA Member

This is unfortunately not true at all. All US media have unified CIA voice when it is about 'enemies' or promoting wars.

I always believe NPR is a quite reliable news media and always listen to them on my commute trip to work for the last 15 years, but I haven't heard a single positive news on China or Russia. That is some world class propaganda control.

20. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

The line between personal ideologies and your profession has never been more confusing. I believe how China responded to Morey's tweet is no different to how the NBA reacted when Sterling's racist tendencies were finally uncovered. They took action - freedom of speech? sure. freedom from consequences? not so much.

This situation is particularly unique though, because the NBA might be the most influential US organisation in China. China can't just shut the NBA out without their own consequences and discontent from the general public. This isn't a one way street where China holds all the power, even if that's how people view it.