1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defending freedom of speech is important, but you should know what happened then give a speech.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Emanon, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thing is the Brit lover @ashleyem should know that the Brits were okay with this.

I guess in the past this seemed to be a valid starting point.

3. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

You are incorrect, the protest was never about freedom of speech as Hong Kong has freedom of speech as well as human rights.

This just shows how people are so ignorance of facts and open their mouth on anything. Guess that’s freedom of speech but I get to called you out.

4. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

I think you should do more research in this before believing everything in face value. Have you fact check this?

The basic law of Hong Kong is based upon the common law of British. The article main point was a vote for selecting their leader for the city.

Ask Al Gore or Hiltary did the majority votes get them the White House.

When British was still ruling Hong Kong they never got to hand pick the city leader its always got appointed by the queen.

Just do some research before putting your nose in the matter.

dlite316 and Miracle like this.
  5. Miracle

Miracle Member

The British rulers did things in their own interest. There was no modern democracy during the colony period. I mentioned about that in an earlier post.

If HKers want all the decisions to be made in their own interest without taking into account of the interest of the Chinese government, then IMO it is more or less a demand of independence.

dlite316 likes this.
  6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I suggest you read up on the Honk Kong basic law again, because simply comparing it to the British common law is absolute rubbish and most of it isn't even related.

You also blatantly dismiss the rest of the article and the numerous "interpretations" Beijing did to abuse their power to their liking.

Funny coming from you, who apparently doesn't even bother to look up what these two laws actually entail.

But come again after you do.

7. bearrider

bearrider Member

As I quoted before in 264#, those rioters surrounded the car and beat the driver. The driver tried to flee away. Some rioters grabbed his wheel. Two rioters were beating the driver INSIDE the car.

There is a news article link imbedded in the twitter I quoted. South China Morning Post is not China news paper. It's the most famous news paper in Singapore.

also

If you look carefully, the taxi door on the left was opened by protesters before the turn. There is reason to suspect that the protesters interfered with the driver's control of the vehicle.

This video shows clearly that two hkrioters came out from the taxi through the front door after it crashed.

dlite316 likes this.
  8. bearrider

bearrider Member

more videos uploaded by normal HK people.

The truth is out there.

dlite316 likes this.
  9. kanariya

kanariya Member

Dude at least post video from credible source. It's not the full video when you just put 2 taxi videos together from a random tweet. They weren't even the same place. I want to remind you 5 cent that cars in HK are right hand drive. Steering wheel is not on the left. It doesn't matter where he wanted to turn, he tried to ram through the people to escape the scene.

Regarding that protesters robbed his belongings. The taxi driver filed bankruptcy before and his family cut tie from him due to his debt. How would he have $20k cash and a watch worth $100k+ for the protesters to rob?

This is HK justice right now. The taxi driver got $520K HKD from donation due to his political stance. Some news media only reported the scene where he got beaten and skip what happened prior (TVB and other pro China media). One of the girl (23 years old) who were injured by the Taxi had severe bone fracture in both her legs and probably won't be able to walk again. She is arrested for illegal gathering while the taxi driver was set free. The police ruled this as a traffic accident. There is no justice right now when you are a protester.

[​IMG]

marky :) and Yung-T like this.
  10. bacliff

bacliff Member

If I lived in a despotic regime that used terror and prison and torture to subdue the populace I would be tearing **** up too. Commies are the scum of the earth and you seem to support them avidly. That kinda makes you scum too. Morey is allowed to have free speech because he is an American and lives in a free society so too bad for you. China hates that he is free and able to say what he wants.

11. kanariya

kanariya Member

Dude if you don't know the story then stop posting random edited videos. The one in MTR was what happened prior on 8/31 Prince Edward station. The pro China elderlies had argument with the black shirt protesters on their way home. Later the pro China dude in blue shirt took a hammer out from his bag and started threatening people. That's where things got escalated and moments later the police stormed into the station beating up everyone. Some people were severely injured and the police shut down the station. Nobody knows what happened then and people suspect there was death involved but MTR refused to release any CCTV footage and that sparked the MTR hatred. I don't expect you to believe this because that's not your objective.

12. kanariya

kanariya Member

@bearrider is the perfect example of how China spreads their propaganda. If anyone ever used Wechat, that piece of **** app has tons of fake news circling around and you'll be surprised that people really believe in them. It's 200% worse than the fake news in Facebook.

#292 kanariya, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Pizza_Da_Hut, Yung-T and bacliff like this.
  13. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

Dude. The taxi driver ran over several people. What are you talking about?

14. kanariya

kanariya Member

BTW, SCMP is owned by Alibaba. Check your fact first.

15. bearrider

bearrider Member

16. bearrider

bearrider Member

17. iloveccn

iloveccn New Member

Are you sure? Fake news got banned quickly and marked as fake news. Wechat has departments to deal with such issues.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

@kanariya - serious question for you ... Why the F do you have to block the roads and airport. I will be traveling from SZ to Tokyo via HK airport at the end of this month. Can you tell your people to just let me pass through, please. I fail to see blocking people in and out of HK has anything to do with anything

dlite316 likes this.
  19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It's as symbolic as it is practical. It shows that this is a top issue that should be addressed immediately. It shows that life can't just return to normal until it is, and the annoyance factor of it brings it to the forefront.

Cap wasn't the first person to highlight violence of the police committed against African Americans, and he won't be the last. But, because he did it at the forefront and in a way that brought attention to his cause. Some racists hate it, and some people finally saw it was a problem worth seeing, but all in all it got people talking. As an activist, that's the best you can hope for.

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

Blocking the airport is the way to show this a top priority?

Tell me the difference between a riot and protest for a cause. I am sorry I am not seeing the connection.

Is there a concept of riot in this logic?

dlite316 likes this.