1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] The Joker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Can’t help it! That’s how I was brought up. Maybe Dad got the bug working at a movie theater for a nickel an hour at night during the Depression, while going to school during the day. I don’t know. Wish I’d asked him.

The chili dogs at the original Jame’s were the best I ever had. You sat in those wooden school desk chairs with the top that curved around. We each had two, except for Dad, who had three. I always had an RC Cola, Dad one of those small bottles of Coke, Mom and my sister DP’s.

Funny the things that stick in your memory. All gone now. All of it. The drive-in’s, The Santa Rosa, and the beautiful movie houses downtown.

Nook, MadMax and B-Bob like this.
  2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I want to know how you got your scars and why so serious?

heypartner and Jontro like this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Learning to use a whip on the fly to keep that damn lion from devouring me.

Deuce likes this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Back in the day dudes like this burned books for similar reasons. Censorship of art is never, ever the answer.

#204 RudyTBag, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Deckard likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good lord, Fatty. @Clutch wants the political stuff kept out of Hangout. You should know that. Set an example!

CCity Zero, GRENDEL and B-Bob like this.
  6. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Sorry if it's been answered, but is this set in any current DC Film Universe? The new Batman? Suicide Squad? Justice League? (or are they all the same universe?)

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

None. Standalone thank god...

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

hoped this would be in the same universe as reynolds' green lantern

B-Bob likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've tried to watch it 3 times now, but every time I go to the movie I see Antifas lurking around the theater -- they've gotten bold enough to actually wear black hats.

Nook likes this.
  10. likestohypeguy

Man it was great, would have almost been perfect, except dinero Of all ppl almost ruined it, last I'd expect. He and/or writing for him. Was horrible in general as a host even from that era, and the climactic scene reminded me of itchy and scratchy setting up "Heey poochie, it looks like you have something to say. Dooo yoouu...? (Long pause)

Whole scene and set up was botched. Still very good despite that. Hell it could have been a one man theatrical production, just the suggestion, props of a children'sc cancer ward around j.p. dancing, gun falling out; watching him dancing down the stairs & super long cry-laugh takes etc. and I would have still loved it even without the very beautiful scenery, the viewer gotcha delusions that weren't real, which all added to it .

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

As a preface, I've never seen any Batman movie, read a comic book and haven't a clue of anything about anything regarding superhero movies or their fictional worlds in general.

That being said, thought it was pretty good, I especially liked the dancing.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

you're missing out.

if you're interested, i suggest starting with batman & robin and then batman forever. they are the truest to the comics.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

ICE TO MEET YOU...

Jontro likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Exceptional movie that will age very well.

Best movie I have seen in at least several years.

It is so good that some “holier than though” critics feel they have a social responsibility to not like it. Too bad because it isn’t glorifying losers or incels.

whiskeyred likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Seriously? Wouldn’t inspire swaths of people?

Have you seen who is in the Whitehouse? There already is a self pitying clown inspiring people... and that doesn’t even get into the Proud Boys, ANTIFA, Charlottesville and the tiki torches. It isn’t a stretch at all in the current environment and how pervasive media and the internet is.

whiskeyred likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Taxi Driver is better but it is arguably the best of that type of movie ever and as good as Phoenix is, prime DeNiro is just about untouchable. Joker is still very good and the best of that type of movie in many years. It is an excellent stand alone film.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Go to sleep grandpa.

“The media should be held accountable”.... go move into a safe gated community or perhaps seek citizenship in China.

whiskeyred likes this.
  18. MystikArkitect

Taxi Driver also didn't have the social and economic implications that Joker had. Not by a mile. People forget that.

Movies like Taxi Driver dont have near the reach or pressure that this movie had. It carried a lot on its shoulders and it delivered.

vlaurelio, mikol13 and Nook like this.
  19. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

This movie hasn’t left my mind at all, damn good.

mikol13, Nook, vlaurelio and 2 others like this.
  20. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

So good. Oscar winner for sure

mikol13 likes this.