1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA wants precise age & height

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Sep 26, 2019.

1. malakas

malakas Member

protection against being sued by gamblers now that they want to get involved in the sport betting business.

2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I am in favor of it being accurate. But I simultaneously think it doesn't really matter. Nothing different is going to happen with this.
    What is HIS official height? Hmmmm? (I suspect they'd fudge, as they wouldn't want it official exactly how small his stature is compared to all the players he governs.)

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

True...but they could just pick a time, and use that weight (maybe right before the first game? After camp and preseason? Or maybe during preseason...). Personally, for many players their true weight might be more relevant than their listed height. Lighter players could get pushed around...you might see how some are not in playing shape yet, etc.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but why can't we get an accurate weight once a year at least?

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Sure, but it's still variable. If a player is listed as 6'5'' and 235 lbs at the start of the season, you'll gameplan for that. But if he turns out to be 6'5'' 250 or 215 or something, by the time the game is actually played (let's say, middle of the season), then you'll blame the report for being "inaccurate."

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

I mean, that's cool and all, but there'd be no reason to have that information. Diets can change; coaching staffs may decide a player should bulk up or slim down somewhere along the season.

I'm all for information like this being shared, but imo, it's not that relevant since it can change, even from week to week.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Well, each player's weight is listed on various sources of information. I see no reason to update/verify it once in awhile.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

we also need to accurately know the player's hobbies, favorite color, favorite kpop, music, and movie.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Another day gone and we still don't have CP3's real height.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not even trusting these team measurements. No way 3 players just happen to be the same height they were measured as in shoes, with every other player being listed as only 1 flat inch below height with shoes...Why are some teams using half inches, others (like the Heat) aren't?

They should measure the damn players to the nearest quarter inch. NFL does freaking 1/8ths.

Like Winslow was measured at 6'4.5 without shoes pre-draft, but now he's 6'6?

[​IMG]

malakas and RustyHarden like this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

cp looks about 5'10

13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Nah, I don't think gameplanning has one single thing to do with listed height and weight. If it does...fire the entire staff and GM IMMEDIATELY, because they are all idiots. This is solely about the fans. Which is ok...it SHOULD be mostly about the fans. Fans don't (normally) pore over gamefilm, analyzing in great detail how each player plays (and how his height and weight compare to those he's playing with/against, for that matter). Coaching staff had better be doing that---and if they even look at or care what someone is listed at, they have no business being on the staff.

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I can tell you exactly how tell he is. He's pretty short, for the NBA. What more do you really need to know? ;-)

Yao Ming was pretty tall. Did it really matter if that was 7'4", 7'5", or 7'6".

I find it kind of funny that everyone is applying so much importance to this, when it really doesn't matter. Given that it doesn't matter, is there a reason not to have teams make it accurate? No, not really. But...it doesn't really matter. It doesn't change what happens in the game one. single. bit.

15. lalala902102001

I don't really get this whole precise height thing. NBA players have lied about their heights for years. Who really cares if someone is an inch or two taller or shorter than he's listed as long as he can play?

For example I see J.J. Barea's height is now 5'10". We knew for years that he wasn't 6 feet tall but if he could help an NBA team and he wanted to be listed as 6 feet who gives a damn?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

malakas likes this.
  17. malakas

malakas Member

NBA wants to protect itself from being sued by gamblers in the future when it enters the betting business.

BigDog63 likes this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

19. JW86

JW86 Member

A 6 foot 6 donkey?! Damn

D-rock and opticon like this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Fair enough. But personally, as a fan, I've never wondered about the weight of an individual player. Not the smallest dudes (FVV, IT2) nor the biggest dudes (Tacko Fall, Boban, etc). Height, sure. But never weight.