1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Raptors 10/8/2019 (Preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 6, 2019.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Why is everyone complaining? Did y’all watch the full game? I did.

Westbrook really helped the team score easy buckets by pushing it in transition and penetrating. They were scoring at will. If you only looked at the box score you wouldn’t know that.

Defense in the first half wasn’t good, but the Raptors were also on fire.

The Rockets had a 17 point lead late in the 3rd when they brought in the scrubs.
    Don’t just look at the box score. The Rockets were thoroughly in control of the game when D’Antoni cleared the bench.

Houtho, B-Bob, Plowman and 15 others like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

anyone see this? was this just precaution

saleem likes this.
  3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not thrilled with the Westbrook debut.

I thought he was good early, but then he started chucking up 3s and made 3 careless passes in a row in the third.

Williamson and ak99999 like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

5. PeppermintCandy

I think D'Antoni figuring out which role players best fit with Westbrook's style of play is going to be crucial. Guys who can run with WB and match themselves up to his passing style best (and not the other way around) should get playing time.

Westbrook may try to change his style of play and he may succeed a little. But it may be too much of a square-peg-in-a-round-hole kind of deal.

D-rock likes this.
  6. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Agreed. But what I hope doesn't happen is us falling apart as soon as Harden goes to the bench throughout the season. It happened far too much last season, so we need other players to step up and make things happen. I don't want us to overuse Harden all the time just so he can save our ass.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

thats why I think its important to have Ego come off the bench

have someone else start at the 3. house, mclemore, thabo, or aquire one

saleem likes this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

My thoughts:

Harden is ready for the regular season.
    Westbrook is rusty with his J but he's got time to get back into form
    I'm worried about Tucker and his shot.
    Gordon is ready
    Capela is ready
    Austin is ready
    Thabo is a beast
    Anderson might make the team
    Mclemore will make the team
    Harteinestien is a project and will not smell the roster yet
    Clemons needs to chill with the off balance shots but he should get a 2 way.
    Ponds is garbage
    Blossomgame is ok.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

harden is going to be harden. that doesn't change just bc they made the move for WB. I'm not sure why people got the impression harden is going to be a different player. He won't be. that's why the fit next to him is so extremely important

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I say, encourage Westbrook to chunk up as many threes as he can during pre-season. Every shot.

We talking 'bout practice? Practice? Yes.

We know what he can do.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Not worried about Westbrook 3's lol

12. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Just watched this game and I must say Tyson Chandler is a great teammate. Didn't play a single minute and was on his feet all 48 minutes in a preseason game calling things out and cheering on his teammates

Houtho, D-rock, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah just totally get out of his system

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

My Rockets/Raptors game thoughts

1) Seen nothing so far to make me think Harden can't lead the league in scoring again. He looks *locked in.* Beast.
    2) Sefolosha's addition was HUGE. Fits like a glove.
    3) Chris Clemons got *1st half* minutes with the starters. 3rd PG material.
    4) McLemore is a good fit. Love his quick release.
    5) Anderson is clearly a *back-up 5* on this team. And ho hum at that. But at least it's vet-min.
    6) LOVE, LOVE the fast pace we are seeing so far!
    7) Westbrook looked solid for his first game. Was explosive. FTs looked good. His 3pt shooting not so much, as expected. I can see the appeal of tethering Eric Gordon's minutes to Westbrook's.
    8) Not that we don't know this, but Rockets could REALLY use a long/springy backup C/PF. Would help the 2nd unit tremendously. Hartenstein just can't find that extra gear to get him NBA minutes.

-Harden is the PG of the Rockets. Westbrook is the SG. It's gonna take time for Westbrook to get in synch as the 2nd unit PG. Just knowing everyone's tendencies and their locations on the court.

-Chris Clemons is impressing me more and more as a passer which is really exciting. And *catch and shoot* is still good off the ball. But creating his own shot sometimes is tough because of lack of height and separation from the defender.

-I am looking forward to Danuel House getting back for the Rockets. He is an important piece on what they are trying to do this year. BUT, as it stands now, I believe Eric Gordon will be the starting SF. And the Rockets will tether Westbrook's & Gordon's minutes together.

-It is really a shame the Rockets were not able to add Christian Wood in the offseason. He would have been such a nice fit as a backup 4/5 with length.

-James Harden is showing NO signs of slowing down. None. Even with Westbrook on the Rockets, Harden is running the team and is going to average 30+ PPG this season. Book it.

-Ibaka would be such a great fit on the Rockets as a backup 4/5.

-I can already tell I am going to really miss that crafty CP3 end of the 1st quarter, team in the penalty, rip-through move for FTs. The little things that add up.

Houtho, B-Bob, BaselineFade and 7 others like this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I had to quote all of this because I agree with every single point of it.

The only thing I'd add... which isn't quite a concern yet... is The Curious Case of PJ Tucker. More than anything, he just doesn't really seem to be trying that hard yet. So that's why not concerned. With a heavy summer workload that's understandable.

But given that he is the starter at our worst position... BAR NONE... it does give me pause.

How do we improve PF realistically at this point???

Houtho, D-rock, ak99999 and 1 other person like this.
  16. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Harden in MVP mode already. Let's talk him up because media is talking AD for MVP already

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  17. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Yup it's prea season . Let him shoot.

Just don't shoot on 10 /24

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we talking about practice man ;)

hakeem94 and RayRay10 like this.
  19. marky :)

marky :) Member

I can see him being an assistant coach after he retires. Should start now and mentor(or keep mentoring) Capela.

20. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

So basically anytime capaela dunks off of alley oop , thumb problems!???!!!???!!!