1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DM, China and the NBA explained

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macan, Oct 7, 2019.

1. macan

macan Member

the ringer

Screaming A. Smith
    he kinda makes sense this time

#1 macan, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

SAS went in

this was just not smart by Morey...he did not think about the consequences of doing what he did putting others in a situation they never asked to be in

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

SAS suddenly became a rock star in the Chinese NBA fans base because of this video.

BigShasta, Moahst and HP3 like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

**** SAS. The Bottom line of NBA executives so they can afford 10 McLaren P1s instead of 7 is not worthy of a cause to take China's autocratic ass up our butts. **** him

5. fchowd0311

Grifting at the expense of basic human rights seems popular these days.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

but what did Kellerman say

Mazulis, AXG, juanm34 and 4 others like this.
  7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Amen, Stephen A for once, you are the man! Couldn't have said any better.

astros123 likes this.
  8. s3ts

s3ts Member

It is said in the movie "Lord of War"....

"Evil prevails."

Indeed.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. bmd

bmd Member

No. China is being unreasonable.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I have a lot of conflicting thoughts about this. But one thought that sticks with me is that all of the "Go America" stuff is kind of the exact same thing that is coming out of China. It's just nationalism. American and China both have a lot of pride, and making it about us vs them isn't going to help anyone.

I joked to my wife a couple of days ago that Daryl Morey may have precipitated World War 3.

The deeper we get into this I'm not even sure if it's a joke anymore.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

SAS is a hypocrite, they talk about politics all the damn time on First take lol. All the time. Weekly.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. YallMean

YallMean Member

Nah, no WWIII. Both sides love money and are very practical.

The simple ideology stuff is quick and feel good. By the same token that China is criticized for the propaganda, the US could very well also be. I say this from a perspective as someone travels for business in between regularly throughout the year. The two sides seem to be close enough on the face (e.g., KFC, McDonald's, shopping mall etc), there are real differences neither realizes. You have seen comments here calling China Nazis and US the world police. In reality, it may be fine and well until a fight broke out between the two. That ugliness and misperception. Not easy stuff.

DeBeards likes this.
  13. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Yeah my father in law is a white American from Virginia who has lived in China for more than a decade, and I've been there a couple of times and plan on going back. My experience with Chinese citizens are that they are very friendly and open, and enthusiastic to share their culture, but also to learn about mine. But there are a lot of social pressures in China, and I feel like a lot of national insecurity. Kind of like Chicago in the US. Chicago always wants to be taken as seriously as New York, and seems obssessed with everyone else's opinion of their city. China is like that. So issues like this highlight that insecurity. China wants to be taken seriously, and cases like this where foreign powers try to dictate their policy touches a nerve.

It's like insulting someone else's mother.

Also, many Americans have an "evil empire" perception of China leftover from the cold ward era view of Communism, and what they think that means. It would be just as easy to paint an ugly picture of America if you wanted to highlight some negatives in our society, but it's easier to point fingers.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

Insecure for sure. But I will say it's probably not as simple as that IMO. It's a combination of lot of things, probably a psychologist cannot fully explain it. It's like the Stockholm syndrome meeting a sense of national pride. I for one don't agree with Joe Tsai's historical scar about HK that one does not touch. That environ is so complicated, much more than a simple one liner on social media or a prescription could address or explain.

DeBeards and Lovemachine2000 like this.
  15. fchowd0311

Who is going to speak for the Uighur population who are detained in mass and being force deconverted from their religion and their organs being harvested when Xi Jinping just declared unlimited terms, so no avenue for regime change and any dissent results in imprisonment? So the Chinese people cannot say anything. So who can? Are we just going to except mass genocide because increase the bottom line for American corporations?

#15 fchowd0311, Oct 7, 2019
    lakersuck2 and CometsWin like this.
  16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Delete - D&D

DeBeards likes this.
  17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If you believe Morey (I do) he has genuine concern for people close to him who are in Hong Kong. Screw consequences when he has those personal thoughts/issues on his plate.

Bigger Than Basketball

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I really have mixed thoughts about this whole thing...

If Morey is championing for oppressed people - obviously thats a good thing... kudos on that side...

On the flipside...

Stay in your lane bro... your job is to propel the Rockets org - not cause international incidents, cost the org money and piss off a large amount of the customer base...

Obviously Morey will be on the right side of history - but at what costs vs what return?

Obviously helping oppressed people is the more important point... but thats assuming this actually does anything... or if its just negative repercussions with no real benefit...

#18 kjayp, Oct 7, 2019
    Lawlruschang and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Is funny how this Morey situation got Ted Cruz and Beto O'Rourke agree on one thing, defending Morey.

20. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

Kellerman thinks : more people will have to enjoy D-mo ball now.