1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Vs. Rays ALDS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Major

Major Member

The result of what Washington did is they have no idea who's going to start tomorrow. If they had saved Scherzer, they could run him out there tomorrow, Corbin in game 4 (3 days' rest), and Strasburg in Game 5 on regular rest. Now they have a mess on their hands in game 3, which may cost them the whole series.

It's something you do if you're the desperate underdog (and have an absurdly terrible bullpen) - not if you're the overwhelming favorite. If you're the Astros, you trust what you've done all season long.

dannah, whiskeyred, arkoe and 3 others like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Okay...then the next save situation?

3. Major

Major Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they go to Pressly or Harris for one game, but I think Osuna is the primary closer. People forget with the Giles fiasco that he was called in for several 2 inning saves in that 2017 playoff run, and routinely dominated the first of those two innings before struggling in inning 2 (before finally collapsing all around in the WS). I think the Astros have to go back to the 1-inning closer rather than risking a meltdown with Osuna.

arkoe and raining threes like this.
  4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Mariano Rivera is not on this team or any team.

Astros got to Kimbrel, Chapman, and Jansen in their 2017 run. This stuff happens against playoff teams.

Osuna will be out there Monday in a one run game. He hasn't gone full Ken Giles yet.

macho GRANDE, banzai, BigM and 5 others like this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If the logic is that Osuna had a bad inning so they should go to Pressley or Harris, then why should they go with Pressley? He had a bad inning too.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Yeah, I meant strikes not outs.

7. Buck Turgidson

Takeaways:
    • Someone needs to buy Cole and JV wallets that say "Bad Mother****er" on them
    • Stros are highly susceptible to power pitchers
    • Tucker is not ready
    • Springer looked weird on the 2B he fielded in RF late in the 8th and his ABs were for ****
    • Pray for CC's back after this plane flight
    • No more 4 out saves for Osuna

whiskeyred, vince, Plowman and 5 others like this.
  8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Overall, Astro Osuna has not been good.

Now, he hasn't been 'bad', but he has NOT been good.

There's still a chance for better, but he's been disappointing overall thus far.

9. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Hinch goes to Osuna but it should be similar to 2017, closer by committee. I'm hoping it doesn't take a blown save for Hinch to go to closer by committee. Hell I'm hoping Osuna can become reliable but Osuna didn't do well last year in the playoffs and he had several blown save this year. Just don't trust him.

10. Major

Major Member

That wouldn't be my logic. Osuna's pitched both games, faced a lot of Rays who saw a lot of pitches from him, and he threw a lot of pitches today. Many of the Rays he's likely to face in a Game 3 have seen his whole arsenal of stuff now and they were pretty good at knowing when to lay off pitches today. Harris has been more dominant; both have faced fewer Rays and thrown a lot less pitches.

11. Major

Major Member

Astro Osuna has been one of the best closers in baseball - and better than Toronto Osuna was.

He's has some high profile meltdowns, but most great closers have. We just don't see the "high profile" part of it because we don't watch those teams on a regular basis.

12. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I'll give Osuna a bit of the benefit of the doubt that Hinch never used him for a 4 out save until tonight. Might had threw him off a bit.

Osuna does somewhat of Ken Giles implosion...we got to be worried a bit.

vince likes this.
  13. mick fry

mick fry Member

First half of season Pressly and Osuna were dominant, hopefully they both can put this behind them and pitch effectively the rest of the post season.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Your statement reflects more of the current state of closers.

I'd also say, proportionally, Osuna has done worse than most Astros pitching acquisitions of recent memory.

15. Buck Turgidson

You're right. He's been very good.

16. Buck Turgidson

You don't do that 2 games into the ALDS when you're up 2-0 with a guy who was nails in September after a rough late summer. Hold your breath if you want to.

astros123 likes this.
  17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

18. Buck Turgidson

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

That was almost too much for me

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Will Harris is a free agent after this season, right? Really hope we re-sign him if so.