1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Future Legend PJ Tucker: “It’s time for my extension right now, so we’ll see."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Aug 21, 2019.

?

To extend or not to extend now?

1. Yes

67 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. No

66 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Hopefully this doesn't effect him during the season

D-rock likes this.
  2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just curious, but who was the last (over 30) role player who got his contract extendend with still one/two years left on it?

D-rock and pippendagimp like this.
  3. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

If the Rockets doesnt pay PJ it'll be another black eye for this organization. Why would free agents come to a place where they wont get paid? PJ plays the most minutes, plays ALL positions & does NOT miss games. Y'all are looking at this from Morey's calculator, but fail to see the damage it's going to do moving forward

4. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Shane Battier actually had an extremely high vertical in training camp, and beat out a lot of dunkers you would immediately recognize.

Also, if VC wanted to be a good defender, there’s no doubt in my mind that he would have been. He just focused on offense.

Third, how do you know that VC had better lateral quickness than Shane Battier? I never saw VC’s box time.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i love tuck but pressing for an extension now does not compute. perhaps requesting that next season be guaranteed, okay. but talking about 2yrs from now seems like he's already worried he won't be able to maintain that extravagant lifestyle

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

1st of all non of Shane Battier's draft profiles said he was an athletic player, I even found a scouting report that said he WASN'T athletic ("lacks ideal quickness and explosiveness") :
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Shane-Battier-1619/

2nd I found an article that calls Shane Battier the poster boy for UNATHLETIC players who make an impact in the NBA:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...-nba-without-world-class-athleticism.amp.html

I dunno how Shane Battier was dunking in college or his early years but I've never seen that amazing vertical leap of his when he was a Rocket. He was clearly not dunking then but was still considered an elite defender so clearly his athleticism left before his defense did. Bruce Bowen also wasnt dunking left and right but was good enough that Pops used him to guard Kobe and other premier perimeter threats.

Finally I'm not debating with you whether VC would have been a great defender IF he focused on defense, I'm contesting your statement that all defense relies heavily on athleticism. Obviously athleticism gives players an advantage on defense but as we have seen with Vince Carter, other factors determine whether a player is great defensively or not. If ahtleticism is the major factor in defense then VC would have been a great defender whether he focused on it or not as his athleticism is worlds above everyone else.

D-rock likes this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Someone said it before and I 100% agree- PJ needs to be Udonis Haslem'd and Nick Collison'd by this organization.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

PJ Tucker is a professional. He knows the business. He'll be fine.

dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We already got his replacement, Ryno.

10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Rockets get so close to a championship so they fork out money to keep the second best player on that team. HORRIBLE FRONT OFFICE

Rockets choose not to extend PJ when they have him locked up for another two years. HORRIBLE LOOK FOR FRONT OFFICE

RichieBanks likes this.
  11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

we'll see after the first three regular season games.

Rockets very well could start 0-3 against bucks, pelicans, and thunder!

12. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Paying old stars Star Money is what bad GMs do. Tucker at good role player money for an extra year or 2 isnt even risky

D-rock likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock likes this.
  14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Not good news for PJ Tucker. He would be better off hitting the open market this year. He needs the money too given his lifestyle and purchases.

D-rock likes this.