1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Deveney] Scouts, Coaches Have Their Doubts on Rockets’ Pairing of Westbrook and Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

“The rest of the West is better than it was last year, that’s the big problem,” one Western Conference assistant said. “They’re not better than the Lakers or Clippers. They’re not better than Utah or Denver. They’re maybe better than Portland. Who knows how he Warriors will look? So you’re looking at a No. 6 seed, maybe No. 5 at best or seven-eight at worst.”

D-rock and FrontRunner like this.
  2. JW86

JW86 Member

Keep doubting, we’ll be much better than last year.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well I've been doubting too. Not a Westbrook fan. But this actually makes me more optimistic because I'm pretty sure this was also how they felt about us adding CP3 and then the Rockets proceeded to win 65 games.

B-Bob, BigM, icewill36 and 21 others like this.
  4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The same people doubted the South could win the Civil War, too!

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Scouts, Coaches Have Their Doubts on Rockets’ Pairing of Howard and Harden
    Scouts, Coaches Have Their Doubts on Rockets’ Pairing of Paul and Harden
    Scouts, Coaches Have Their Doubts on Rockets’ Pairing of Westbrook and Harden

YAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNN

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

I think it will work...not as well as Harden and 17-18 CP3, but it will work

my main worry is if the big regression we’ve seen from Russ is real or can he bounce back...not to his MVP levels, but to at least comfortably being fringe top 10

in either case, Harden and declining CP0 wasn’t gonna win a damn thing moving forward without adding another star which we were never able to do, I was 100% confident in that...so I’ll take this Harden-Russ pairing moving forward 10 times outta 10 since at least Russ is 4 years younger and can bring something new to the table with his transition game, rebounding, and ability to get into the paint at will while Paul will only be declining more and more...

if Russ can just be average or slightly below average with his efficiency then I’m good...I am hoping for around 54% TS...just don’t be out here bricking like Brandon Jennings, Mudiay, or Rubio

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Scouts, Coaches Have Their Doubts on Rockets’ Pairing of D'Antoni and Harden

8. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Westbrook's rep is pretty low after the last 2 years flamed out in OKC with PG. Harden is better than PG and this team will be better than any team Westbrook has been on since they had Durant. Good luck stopping both these guys for 48 minutes...

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Scouts, Coaches Have Their Doubts about the city of Houston.

slothy420, RayRay10, D-rock and 12 others like this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

"Harden’s pairing with Dwight Howard ended with a sputter, tension between the two over style of play leading to a disappointing 41-41 record in 2015-16."

Yeah, we'll that's because Dwert wanted to play a style that the coaches didn't want him to play.

Harden was right in that situation, and Howard was dead wrong.

11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Wow - a western conference assistant said we're going to be 5-8 seed. Stunning commentary. A child could make the same dumb prediction. There IS a reason you ARE an ASSistant!!

Go Rockets!!!

Hakeemtheking, Ramo$e, D-rock and 8 others like this.
  12. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Legitimate concerns.

BaselineFade and Elephant810 like this.
  13. Newlin

Newlin Member

No one knows.

That's why I'm looking forward to the season.

Kim, Rustyrig, Tfor3 and 7 others like this.
  14. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

We are going to be extremely good. Be excited.

Hakeemtheking, D-rock, Tfor3 and 3 others like this.
  15. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Bottom line...nobody ****in knows

To say that the Lakers and Clippers will be better than the Rockets is just stupid and make it's more likely that they're talking out of their asses.

Ramo$e, Richie_Rich, Tfor3 and 2 others like this.
  16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Probably a Timberwolves scout.

BigM, Tfor3 and Nook like this.
  17. amaru

amaru Member

The defensive and, to a lesser extent, the shooting concerns are legitimate. But hey, every top team has concerns.

slothy420, Kim, BaselineFade and 2 others like this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Scouts, Coaches Have Their Doubts about Anti-rockets media conspiracy

FrontRunner likes this.
  19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Harden is worth 50 wins a season by himself. Remember, CP3 was worthless for most of last season. If Westbrook provides anything at all especially when Harden is on the bench, we will just fine.

Ramo$e, hakeem94, D-rock and 6 others like this.
  20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Utah and Denver better than the Rockets? Both are really talented teams, but I don’t think so. I’ll also take the Rockets’ depth over the Lakers, and the difference between LeBron and Davis vs. Harden and Westbrook is negligible. Also, while the Clippers look great on paper, who is going to be the facilitator in the starting unit on that team? Kawhi and George are elite scorers, but neither is an elite facilitator. Beverley is a 3&D point guard, so he’s not that guy, either. That means they have to start Lou Williams.

If they can stay healthy, the Rockets are going to approach winning 60 games in the regular season again. The real test will be in the playoffs.