1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

WOJ: BREAKING Westbrook to Houston for CP3 & Picks!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Xerobull, Jul 11, 2019.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

This idea that Westbrook isn't a Moreyball or analytics friendly player is silly. Yes, his scoring efficiency is sub par, he takes bad shots, he takes too many of the wrong kind of shots. But to say that because of that he isn't an analytics player is like saying Harden isn't one because his defense is sub par.

Analytics is about measuring how a player can impact the ultimate goal - winning. And Westbrook has historically been elite in that category. Whether it is win shares, rpm, box score plus minus, value over replacement or any advanced analytics you can come up with. And that's all despite not being the most efficient scorer.

The big question with Westbrook isn't where he will fit next to Harden or if he is a Morey player. It is whether his athleticism is declining, and by how much. Because all those advanced stats he has historically excelled at were down significantly last year. If that was an aberration then we are all good. If that is a trend then we are in trouble.

D-rock, topfive, Lawlruschang and 6 others like this.
  2. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

So, maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but there are three distinctions I've always seen: advanced stats, analytics, and Moreyball. Advanced stats are agnostic and just as you pointed out are like +/-, VORP, winshares, etc. Analytics goes a step further and says situationally what is favored vs. disfavored. Finally there's Moreyball. Moreyball is the reliance on 3's and layups/dunks, 2 for 1s over best shot, etc. They aren't all the same, and can use the other at times. I've often viewed analytics as the raw data and Moreyball as one type of conclusion that can be drawn from said data. Often in science multiple solutions can be drawn from the same data, so this is where the math is no longer agnostic. Maybe the distinction isn't worth noting, or I've got things jumbled, but this is what I've always thought is the case. Gladly educate me if it isn't.

WB's shot selection and style of play, to me, makes him somewhat a mediocre Moreyball player. He pushes the pace which is ideal, but he takes ill-advised shots which is not. just to name a couple of reasons. The guy posts monster stats in a lot of categories, so I never would buy he isn't analytics friendly.

But I completely agree with you on the athleticism part. Once that drops off, I've seen nothing to indicate he's a smart player. He might be able to learn how to become one very very quickly, but that's the concern moving forward. If he does suffer an injury, can he come back as a new player with new life? I'm not sure, and I'm more leaning toward "no" right now.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

Bro, this is ridiculous, you really think Morey is gonna say James and Tilman forced my hand when i wasnt fully into the deal to the media. Cmon, thats just being naive. Im not saying Morey is a liar but I do believe Cyber who is verified by Clutch, so take it up with him as well.

Little Bit likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You named a bunch of fancy things, except, his actual record without Durant cleaning up his **** is mediocre. If you're talking about winning...

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

I should rephrase. You are correct that Moreyball is a play style seeking to maximize efficiency. In that sense Westbrook is not a Moreyball player, he is neither efficient nor does he take the most efficient shots. What I meant was Morey Ball, which is simply going beyond the surface stats to arrive at what truly contributes to winning. Or analytics. In that sense Westbrook no doubt is a Morey Ball player, and an elite player. Well, he used to be, and hopefully still is.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  7. amaru

amaru Member

Somebody get that man an Oscar! :D

FrontRunner, hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  8. supastevefoo

supastevefoo Member

Some Russ tidbits

D-rock, Vivi, tmoney1101 and 4 others like this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Why the **** do people call him WB it's Westbrook not West Brook

FrontRunner likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Old news... I think he deserves to go to Miami and compete in the East and play in a great location, but I can't wait to play against OKC with all the former players in one game!

HP3 likes this.
  13. amaru

amaru Member

I have a hard time seeing Miami go in to cap hell for Paul. That kind of move would basically close the window on the Butler era. Do they think that's enough to compete? I doubt it.

Now if Paul, in some historical, hypothetical situation, was bought out then a bunch of teams would be interested.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

They can't do **** anyway, they can either try to get better as soon as possible by adding a guy like CP3 which would cost them nothing in terms of assets (otherwise they would be forced to trade either Bam, and that's not happening, or Herro which seems like they really want to keep), or they can waste Butler's prime by playing him with Waiters and Olynyk. Keep in mind that James Johnson, Olynyk, Waiters and Winslow make up for basically 60M, and not only for this season, but for the next one too so, add Butler's max around 35 and yeah, they won't have cap space next summer anyway unless they are going to dump a couple of those contracts, and to do that they would need 1st rounder they don't have.

15. amaru

amaru Member

Guess we'll see what they do. But I just don't think there is much of a market for an injury-prone 34-year-old PG on a max deal.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Paul is not getting bought out. Paul will be traded by next summer because his contract will only have two years less and that last year could be a great trade chip since it's an enormous expiring. would Miami do the trade now? I doubt it but if they are struggling to get in the playoffs I could see them pulling the trigger out of desperation.

17. amaru

amaru Member

I agree the odds of him being bought out are next to zero. Miami might decide he’s the guy, or the most realistic, option and trade for him though.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It's Westbrook Brick that's why. Or Westbrick for short, or WB for shorter.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

#2039 J.R., Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  20. Vivi

Vivi Member

No question, but that's exactly why a team with no asset and a lot of meh contracts like Miami is interested. As much as CP3 is old, considering the contracts involved here, i'd still swap him for Waiters and Olynyk anyday.