1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Cole must love how the Astros doubled his WAR the two years prior to FA.

Marteen likes this.
  2. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

What a ridiculously simplistic question.

If only it were that easy

BigM likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t think anyone thinks it is. The Astros have a standing offer on the table for Correa. People were saying to pull the offer and spend the money to help keep Cole. The only other reason to deal Correa would be to use the players acquired to fill holes without spending money. For example a starting catcher or 3-4 starter.

It is all a long shot anyway.

vince likes this.
  4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’d do 10/250 in a heartbeat. No way he does 6/160. My bet is he ends up at 7/240

rockbox likes this.
  5. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is a longer video out there but i can't locate it at the moment. Talked about the ownership and etc.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

25 million a year sounds great to me. I would do that in a heart beat. I would do 5/150 also.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you, especially on Miley. His FIP was substantially higher than his era (1.5 runs for awhile). His career has had peaks and valleys but more valleys. He isn’t a guy with high end stuff and he isn’t terribly young. He very well could be stuck signing for what he got paid by the Astros. His overall performance is more middling and his struggles to end the season will stand out.

The best answer is to do what the Rangers did with Minor and Lynn but that is a really risky proposition. For every Morton there is a Fister.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

For some reason, I just don't see Correa trying to extort a Machado/Harper-like contract. I actually see Springer more likely to do that than Correa. Plus Correa has 2 more years of Arb I think. The whole MLB landscape may change by then.

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Spotrac guesses a contract value of $180 million over 6 years.

Snake Diggit and No Worries like this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Does the team actually expect him to accept it? If they do, it is likely heavily in favor of the Astros in which case all Astros fans should want Correa to accept. If not, there likely isn't actually money available to switch to Cole.

I want Astros to do what will help Astros win the most World Series going forward (extreme character issues excluded). If Astros sign either Correa or Cole to an extension, I'll be happy.

I doubt Astros extend/re-sign either Correa or Cole as I think the deals they want will exceed Astros risk tolerance (i.e., too much money allocated to one player such that a career ending or serious injury drastically hurts the Astros for several years). There is likely not a Correa versus Cole money argument for the Astros. If the Astros can get either Cole or Correa to sign a deal that Astros think helps them and fits their risk tolerance, they should do it. Odds that both are willing to sign an Astros friendly deal is highly unlikely.

11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Me too. He won’t though, obviously.

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Spotrac is pretty good. They are light there. That deal isn’t coming in under 200 unless it’s 5/180 or something.

13. Nook

Nook Member

It is supposedly a competitive offer but the position of Correa has been from the beginning that they will go through free agency.

Remember the Astros made a competitive offer to Dallas K before he entered free agency that he turned down.

Time will tell, maybe the Astros find their own version of Minor or Lynn and still are elite without Cole.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros didn't keep Keuchel either. I'd expect Cole and Correa to want a lot more than Keuchel was offered.

I think Astros are trying to find someone like Cole was when he was acquired...underappreciated/underutilized by current team, likely hitting arbitration or about to have a big arbitration raise that makes current team want to trade him.

Nook likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Of course Cole and Correa want more than the Correa offer. The point was the money set aside for Correa could be utilized by being added to what they intend to offer to Cole if they are inclined to do so. The Dallas money was used to pay other players.

I am sure the Astros are looking for the next Cole at a good price tag, but they are very hard to find.

No Worries likes this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

4/140 who says no ? Jk 4 years is pretty short but 35 mil a year is nothing to sneeze at

17. vince

vince Member

Probably more like 8 years 280... but I’m all on board 4 @ $140 million. But I won’t hold my breath.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I doubt money is set aside for Correa other than aribitration money. I doubt money was set aside for Keuchel. Other players were willing to accept deals, and Astros made them. In other words, I don't think there was ever any Dallas money as I don't think Astros expected him to accept a contract. I don't think there is a placeholder in budget spreadsheet for Correa past arbitration that Astros place much faith in.

There is Astros money that may go to Correa past arbitration. There is Astros money that may go to Cole. Astros aren't the ones deciding who stays with the Astros. Astros can only decide how much they are willing to offer a player. I have a hard time seeing Astros having the incredible luck of having to decide between deals they are willing to accept with both Correa and Cole.

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Cole must recognize what playing for the Astros has done for his potential and his numbers. In doing so, he has to wonder if he can sustain it outside the organization.

He may end up framing the question himself: Great money/good pitcher or good money/great pitcher?

No Worries and snowconeman22 like this.
  20. Major

Major Member

All great players internalize their success. Whether he's right or not, you have to expect that he believes he can do this anywhere.

You see it a lot in tennis and golf where players have huge amounts of success and then fire their coaches (Naomi Osaka is a recent one) because they think they are fine without them.

Theking likes this.