1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe, Just Maybe, Bill O’Brien knows what he is doing.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr.Scarface, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I woke up thinking I'd check here to see what kind of pessimism was flowing around after the win.

Before the season, most people had this penciled in as a for sure loss. A lot of people had the Chargers as a Super Bowl team. I know they have a lot of injuries, but good teams find a way to overcome injuries. That said, we won, Brian.

Look, I don't know how to feel. But my gut tells me this -

The Texans fan base soured on Kubiak after a couple of underwhelming seasons and he gets fired and goes for a Super Bowl. Maybe we should have kept him. He had his flaws, but he was a good coach.

Everyone outside of Houston always says O'Brien is a good coach that would be scooped up in a second if he left here. Hos moves do seem to be paying off for us so far. Maybe he's not too bad? Time will tell. 3 out of 4 division titles, noatter what built in excuses you want to throw out there, is pretty good. This league is tough to win in consistently.

I have said this before, and I'll say it again. Maybe, just maybe, it's like when you do work on your house. Yeah, you could bring in someone else to do it and save your own time. It may look as good as what you would do yourself, it may look better, or maybe you'd be dissatisfied with it. But I know when I do work on my own house, although it'll end up being done the right way, I will know every little flaw in my work and I'll see them glaring back at me if I let them. Someone that doesn't live at my house will look at my work and constantly tell me how excellent it is, but all I see are the two or three small warts from the project.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Kubes playoff record with the TEXANS: 2-2. Didn’t get further than the divisional round.

pgabriel likes this.
  3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

They were never a threat for 0-3.

They are unlucky to not be 3-0. Let’s stop the negative bs just to be negative.

mario_v likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I don’t think you are wrong to be honest.

Through 3 games he’s done well as GM.

The line had its best game in years.

Tunsil trade shored up the left side and allowed your first rounder to play his natural right tackle position.

That trade also allowed Max Scharping to play along side two decent to good pass blocking veterans in Tunsil and Nick Martin.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Bwaaah- ha ha haaaaa!!!! Wooooo!!!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah because every kicker has made every kick

7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

You tell me a kicker that hasn’t missed a kick. And if he’s available for the Texans to sign.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bill O'Brien is who we thought he was. Now if you want to crown him, then crown his ass but Bill O'Brien is who we thought he was.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Yesterday was a good win. OB deserves credit for what looks like finally is a good offensive line.

The issue with the trades he made was never that they made the team worse this year -- I think everyone could see, especially with Tunsil, that it would help right now. The issue was the timing and return value, particularly with Clowney.

Basically what it boils down to is OB HAS to make a splash this year. Otherwise I'd fire him if I were the owner. He's nearly forfeited the next couple of drafts so there are no more excuses. Win the division and beat a good team in the playoffs (not the Connor Cook Raiders), or else...

charlieaustin, Xenon and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It can be argued that the Texans were lucky to beat Jacksonville. What unlucky event caused them to lose at New Orleans?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Maybe a 58 yard FG

jcf likes this.
  12. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Not my job Brian!!!

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Successfully executing plays is unlucky?

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Hell yeah making a 58 yard FG in a dome or not is as lucky as it gets.

15. CrazyJoeDavola

Right down the middle with plenty of distance isn't really luck. That's skill.

Double doinking it from 58 and still making it would be luck.

16. marky :)

marky :) Member

Spoiled fan base?

Basically eating a **** sandwich and when we ask for a PB&J you say, "No, don't be such a spoiled brat".

juanm34 likes this.
  17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Even if BOB is an improvement at GM over Smith/Gaine (not like that's a high bar to clear), the deals he made are still very costly and not prudent or shrewd, but rather impulsive and short-sighted.

So, a temporary step forward in personnel (which may result in some serious long term steps backward), does not absolve him of his failings as a HC for the past 5+ years and going forward.

harold bingo likes this.
  18. conquistador#11

Hmmmm... So B.O.B came up with a gameplan that placed an emphasis on using the TEs and executing more roll outs for deshaun. It's too bad that none of us MORANS could have ever seen the problems or suggested these things.

Now I would like to see more Pistol so that Hyde can still get going on his runs. He is not good running from the gun. Duke however excels at it. The pistol would be very beneficial.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Texans are 12-0 ATS and 11-1 SU when playing away games on natural grass.

Fulgore likes this.
  20. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

He's arrogant and stubborn, I don't see those traits changing in him.

He's been the coach for a long time. He hasn't really gotten any better at offensive play calling or time outs.

He is an average to slightly above average coach, good enough to win a mediocre division. He isn't terrible but I doubt he will ever get us over the hump.

#60 Chilly_Pete, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019