1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Sci Fi] Ad Astra

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Saw it at Imax yesterday, A+ movie experience. Visually stunning "real-life" space travel. Interesting themes of external and internal conflicts if you pay attention. Sure a little bit simplistic and unbelievable (won't spoil) in parts but it's just a movie.

Worthy science fiction.

DaDakota, Deckard and Deuce like this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

The Alternate Title considered was: "opta ardua pennis astra sequi". It was changed at the last minute when somebody noticed it was too long, big, and hard to say.

Zboy, dmoneybangbang and Deckard like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thanks for the review

4. SunsRocketsfan

hehe . .. he said penis

Sajan likes this.
  5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

A hauntingly beautiful film that explores the power of human connection and the father and son relationship. Yes, it is slow, monotonous in its tone like that of Brad Pitt's character. And I believe that was the point. But still, it's completely engaging from beginning to end. Best comparison is Interstellar, which has similar themes. And the space sequences are like Gravity, in the "movie realism" they try to achieve. I even picked up a little feel of Apocalypse Now.

I still like Interstellar better, but it is a must watch for sci-fi fans, and just to support films like this. A provocative, though-provoking film that might not make a whole lot of money is not something I see Disney green-lighting.

KingCheetah, Deuce and Deckard like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Crazy! "opta ardua pennis astra sequi" means either "desire to pursue the high stars on wings" or "desire to pursue the hard to reach stars on wings." Both sound really cool. My personal preference is "desire to pursue the high stars on wings."

I have a desire to pursue the high stars on wings. I really do.

Can't wait to see this film. I think I'll take our daughter, the oldest. She's a huge science fiction fan. So is our son, but he lives in Dallas. I spoon fed them SF while they were growing up.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just got back from watching Ad Astra at an IMAX theater here in Austin with the S.O. and our daughter. Loved it! Brad Pitt was outstanding. That's good, because the entire film revolves around his character. It may not be to everyone's taste, but for a science fiction fan, especially on a big screen in high definition, I think it's a "can't miss." I wouldn't be surprised a bit if Pitt gets an Oscar nomination out of Ad Astra. The film will have you talking about it when you walk out, shaking your head and likely arguing about what happened and what it meant. That's all I'm going to say for now. Maybe later I'll spoiler some comments. I will say that a couple of you that have seen it and liked it were on target, in my opinion. Kudos! :cool:

boomboom, B-Bob, DaDakota and 4 others like this.
  8. likestohypeguy

Is there a significant upgrade in imax even though it's 2d? Bigger screen, and sound I guess?

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Now I have to go see it. Probably catch it early in the morning.

10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Saw it with the wife. Great story, but a tad bit too long for my taste. Ending and story was predictable.

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

She doesn't want to miss a thing.

htownrox1 and Zboy like this.
  12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I wasn't feeling this movie. I thought there were a few scenes that they added as an afterthought just to break the monotony, but felt out of place and barely added to the story.

likestohypeguy likes this.
  13. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

The killer chimp scene had nothing to do with the movie

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Saw it this weekend, I really enjoyed it. Struck me like a mash up of Apocalypse Now, Solaris and a bit of 2001. Visually it’s very impressive, story wise it’s a bit basic but the performances are great all around. Pitt in particular should get an Oscar nod out of this…..

A-

FranchiseBlade, Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  15. Fantasma Negro

It was in reference to the early space exploration when they use to send chimps into space. It made sense to me, they were research baboons, it had a place in the movie

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Just watched it, loved it.

It hit home and became something very personal to me.

Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Even the space pirates had little to do with the plot. There could have been a more organic way for Pruitt to give Roy the message. It felt like they added space pirates to Michael Bay up the movie.

RKREBORN likes this.
  18. Caesar

Caesar Member

8.5/10
    Loved it. It is a slow burn so maybe not everyone's cup of white claw

dmoneybangbang and Deckard like this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I know it’s a major bump up in what it costs, but in this case, I felt it was worth it. Why? The visuals are amazing. I actually liked that it wasn’t in 3D, which I often enjoy, because I think it would have been distracting, instead of adding to the film.

likestohypeguy likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

I really enjoyed it, the ending was a bit underwhelming for me but still good.

So.... about the ending....
    Did the "mutinous" crew create the "surge" in order to get rescued or what? I think the ending was underwhelming because I wasn't connecting the dots.