1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I wonder how you'd react to consequences of a statistic one day. I'd like to see your thoughtful logical reaction to one of them.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't believe suicide rates are immune to gun control laws. Some or even most might find some other means of killing themselves if they can't access a gun, but some will be deterred by the added complexity.

As to the other causes of death, we are simultaneously taking steps to reduce preventable deaths from drugs, from illness, from car accidents, and from medical errors. We can do more than one thing at a time. By this dude's logic, we shouldn't bother inoculating for the flu because medical errors kill more people.

B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. Zergling

Zergling Member

If you really want action, American needs to TRULY see what gun violence and mass shootings look like. It's going to be disturbing obviously, but we need to see photos/footage of the carnage, slaughter, dead bodies, blood and gore everywhere, etc. I guarantee you that will change the narrative in Congress and the public pressure for action will skyrocket even more than it has.

For a sports example, look at Ray Rice. He was going to play again for the Ravens until that TMZ video came out of him beating his wife. Then, he was immediately cut by the team and never played a down of football again. We needed to SEE what domestic violence looked like for the proper perspective shift.

glynch, B-Bob and CometsWin like this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If a bunch of dead elementary school kids didn't do it I don't think anything will.

BaselineFade and B-Bob like this.
  6. Zergling

Zergling Member

Unless I missed it, I do not recall any actual pictures or surveillance footage was shown of the shooting or the aftermath.

If actual pictures of the dead children were published, we would've already banned guns by now.

glynch and deb4rockets like this.
  7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you but there is no low too low for many conservatives as evidenced by all the "crisis actor" conspiracy theory bull crap after Sandy Hook. So I'll have to agree with Langhi on that one, if a bunch of murdered little kids in their classrooms didn't do it I don't think much would.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

it's not for those people, but for the population at large

visual imaginary is powerful

seeing those kids bodies with bullets holes would put the population right into the shoes of those suffering parents.... I don't think it's something the nation can just ignore and shake off

of course that can't happen because kids bodies riddled up with bullets holes is extremely sensitive and must be kept hidden.. and it's also against the law to make them public

Zergling likes this.
  9. Zergling

Zergling Member

If there's raw footage and images of the actual carnage, it'll be a lot harder for nonsense conspiracy theories to generate.

10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's pretty sick when our own citizens kill more of our own than ISIS. The real threat in America is our own citizens carrying automatic weapons and going mad shooting masses of people because it is made simple to do with our lax gun laws. I feel much safer in Europe than I do in America. Our country is becoming more and more like Mexico and Central America.

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It would also do some good to have periodic interviews concerning the depressing life outcomes of all the people who are disabled by gun violence.
    Quit protecting the gun industry and the 2nd Amendment fans who live in their heads immune from gun violence.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't particularly love the idea. Besides the fact I don't want to see that, I think it is playing with fire. Pro-gun advocates will accuse you of using dirty tricks to emotionally manipulate people. We've seen it already with pro-life advocates showing the bodies of aborted fetuses. They'll redirect the anger -- 'this carnage is not from guns but from psychologically disturbed people' or from illegal immigrants or white nationalists or jihadists or black supremacists if the demographic characteristics are convenient -- and end up abrogating rights of free assembly or due process instead of the second amendment.

Mass shooters, knowing their handiwork will be on TV, might look for ways to make it as gruesome as possible. Beyond body count, they can achieve infamy with sadism or gore. And even some non-mass-murderers in the public will find a prurient fascination with examining such pictures and videos and maybe even dreamcast.

And it can go tribalist. Imagine a racist goes and shoots up a bunch of black children at a predominantly black school. Then, a black shooter becomes enraged seeing these pictures of slaughtered black babies and goes and shoots up a white school.

So, I get it, you're right. Raising the curtain on the carnage will move people to action in a way our sanitized thoughts-and-prayers discourse never could. The imagery is powerful, but it's a power we cannot control and we cannot predict in which direction it'll go.

R0ckets03 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Taking away people's right to defend themselves... typical commie.

15. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

This is one thread with no ending in sight.

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

We can always pray and see if it will end.

18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Don't forget to think, too!

pirc1 likes this.
  19. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

What's the difference between an American and a computer? American's got less trouble shooting.

20. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Damn, took me Wei Tu Long to get this.

KingLeoric likes this.