1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros magic number thread - 2019

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by alethios, Sep 7, 2019.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

if team doesn't get into the post season then i don't care if we lose 162 games. no post season is a waste of an entire year imo. 80, 90 100, losses irrelevant to me.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's a huge accomplishment, especially over multiple seasons. Only six teams have done what they just pulled off.

It may not mean anything to you, but for those of us who have watched this team since 1962, it certainly means something.

King1, Wulaw Horn, cmoak1982 and 4 others like this.
  3. the shark

the shark Member

Who cares if they were bad (losing 90 games) or if they were one of the worst teams ever (losing 110 games) as long as they had a plan (which they did).

The casual fan who didn't grasp what they were attempting to do may have have b****ed and moaned because they were looking at (and wanting) immediate results. Winning 70-85 games with no chance of winning a WS was just spinning your wheels. Throw on the fact that this team had never won a WS (as a fan who has followed them since the 60's) it was very evident they needed to strip it down completely.

4. the shark

the shark Member

Says the guy who time after time continues to support a team (Texans) who have never done jack **** and yet defends every bonehead decision they make. Winning 100 games is a huge accomplishment and if they don't win the WS than yes everyone will be disappointed. Does it mean the season meant "nothing"? No it just means it will hurt more because they have the talent to win it all.

Wulaw Horn and YOLO like this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m not taking about “fans”, I’m talking about myself. I like watching sports hoping for a title of course (and as a longhorn/Astros/rockets/49ers fan I’ve seen more than my fair share in 40 years) but it’s about fun and enjoyment for me. There’s fun in the journey. In the night to night. In the 162 game grind.
    Those tanking teams had nobody interesting to watch save Altuve and Keuchel before they were Altuve and Keuchel, and just played incredibly bad baseball that wasn’t fun to watch.
    Now, watching a team go 71-91 like in 2014 was a lot of fun as you saw guys coming up, developing, and real Major League Baseball being played.
    But yeah, for me, 111 losses was very painful compared to 90. Obviously it paid off. And I was t opposed to the tear down and viewed it as necessary. But it was painful in a way run of the mill bad teams aren’t.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yes to the organization. I watched those guys go thru the minors and liked the plan. You could tell the org was in a better place than it previously had been.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We qualified for the playoffs....next up is division.

DD

8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

9. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member