1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2019] Hurricane season

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xenon, Jul 8, 2019.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

It’s been coming down steady since around 1015. I live right behind the art everywhere Houston sign at i10 and Yale. My yard fills up pretty quick, I’m probably sitting at about 6 inches right now. I imagine the i10/Yale and i10/heights blvd intersections are completely under water but I can see because of the sound wall.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

If anyone is around Winnie, Winnie dodge will be providing hot meals tomorrow and Saturday and other goods to anyone in need.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Houston is flat, Civil engineers make the water move by grading the streets. But you can't dig them down too deep because the flow lines of the bayous are the lowest point you can drain to. So the streets are actually designed to be retention ponds; the problems arise when the rainfall rates exceed the design parameters (around 13 inches in 24 hours). Then it depends on how high your slab is over the top of the curb height (or pooling height if you actually have a little slope)

It's always stumped me that Houston houses aren't built on a little fill, but flat on grade slabs are cheaper.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I thought the worse was over
    Not look at me. . . at work . . . worrying if It will be still flooding when I get off
    The Southwest side is getting Drenched but I think the North and East side is getting it worse
    Judging by the direction of the rain . . .if they not getting it worse now. . .they will

Rocket River

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Wife stuck at work.
    Me stuck at work (she has the truck).
    Good God. Rain, please stop.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

it's moving bro. Just relax and let it pass. Should be out of the loop by 2:30

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Damn!

cml750 and No Worries like this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thanks. I have a friend (facebook friend) and her elderly parents are out there.
    I think they maybe in need of rescue cause their house is flooding
    (was as of a couple of hours ago)
    Will pass the info on.

Rocket River

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Both are completely flooded but idiots are driving through it and the Bayou is at it's bank. Watching on Channel 2 right now. If anyone need access to Transtar try this link.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Be safe, man.

I'm stuck at work (Allen Parkway & Waugh) and the bayou is coming up pretty fast. But it's supposed to be out of here in an hour or 2, so I'm not going anywhere for now. Hopefully it will be gone before the bayou crests.

No one should be out there driving around right now especially since conditions are going to be much better later this afternoon/evening. Even if you're stuck at work, wait it out.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm stuck in the Med Center and wife is stuck in Memorial City, which is apparently flooded all around her building. People unable to leave. Kids in daycare in Cypress. So I hope this clears up soon.

12. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Work at Heights and 7th street (by Warby Parker). Tried to leave to head home (Downtown by MMP). Was able to get about two blocks before I turned back around and went back to the office. Going to wait it out until later this evening to try and venture home. It's a mess out there but the rain has finally slowed down some thank goodness.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

:D These stations send their reporters out there and try to interview people.
    Go away, I don't want to talk to you!

"What happened?"
    "Did you car/truck flood out?"
    "Are you OK?"
    "Where are you going?"
    Got time to stop and talk?

#193 J.R., Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    tmoney1101 and KingCheetah like this.
  14. LonghornFan

White Oak Bayou is now out of its bank and has now flooded I-10 bad. Pretty much all of I-10 is shut down from the Galleria to West Sam Houston Tollway.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That looks really familiar -- it's flooding Harvey level again in Houston from this little storm?

Edit: see above

Sajan likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

Why do schools do this stupid **** over and over again? Snow, ice, hurricane, nuclear war...

tmoney1101 and J.R. like this.
  17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

We got 6 inches over the last hour or so on the I-10 Westside, residential streets did their thing and became retention pods.
    Looks like the squall line has moved more to 59, my residential streets are dropping quickly.... just give it a couple of hours over here.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

I remember one severe flooding event when I was in Houston -- it seems like since the late 90s this issue has become a once a year event now.

19. LonghornFan

A lot more cement, about 3 million more people so more housing, apts, strip centers, roads, etc. Nowhere for the water to drain any longer.

20. marky :)

marky :) Member

Does anyone know how the Bellaire and Beltway 8 area is? I'm assuming its flooded since westheimer and richmond area is.