1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SNL Fires Shane Gillis

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Did half the population just vanish Thanos?

Tough crowd.

2. cml750

cml750 Member

I caught a show a few months ago. It definitely is not what it used to be.

3. cml750

cml750 Member

I have never even heard of this guy so I have no opinion on if he is funny or him getting fired. What he said is definitely very close to a line. In this day and age some people live to be offended. It must be hard to be a comedian these days with so many just looking for something to be get upset about.

#23 cml750, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Nook likes this.
  4. mick fry

mick fry Member

SNL has died a slow death, they peaked in the 90’s. Comedy in general has took a big hit.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

They need to make fun of the Obamas and Clintons more. Only then will comedy peak the interest of mic fry.

Also it doesn't help that Trump is such an easy target.

6. mick fry

mick fry Member

TDS is real.

cml750 likes this.
  7. cml750

cml750 Member

I liked it from the beginning in the 70's through the 90's. I have seen very little in the last 20 years or so. I go to bed early on Saturday nights for church Sunday morning. The few I have seen are nothing like the first 20 + years of the show.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Snl has never died. It always goes through ebbs and flows. The cast in the early 2010s was as good as any cast has ever been. The current cast is a little weak but Che+Jost are 2 of the best weekend update anchors.

I would say as a general rule, older comedy doesn't age well. Comedy in general is far superior today than it was decades ago.

ima_drummer2k and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. fchowd0311

Yes, SNL has a sprinkle of gems here and there but most of their content is pretty lame as of the past decade at least.

cml750 likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

I feel like most of their sketches don't land well. There are some genuinely great talents such as L
    Kate Mckinnon though.

#30 fchowd0311, Sep 17, 2019
  11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Nook likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't like the idea of a protected profession
    that gets to say and do anything they want while everyone else is held accountable

Rocket River

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Weekend Update on it's own is worth keeping the season pass. I think it's as funny as it's ever been these days.

SNL is the only show left of it's kind and I hope it never goes off the air. Of course not ever skit is going to hit, that's always been how the show works. Even with the classic cast(s), there are going to be more duds than hits every show. That's what happens when you only have a week to prepare. And that's what make the show so unique.

14. MystikArkitect

The alt right members of the board probably got a stiffy at the thought of being able to call Yang that. If only he had been holding an assault rifle too.

Sounds like a Trump cabinet position is in order for this man.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I moved to the U.S. as a teen in the early 1990s. I remember hearing about how SNL was dying ever since then... every generation of cast members supposedly couldn't fit the jock strap of the prior generation.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Clearly a nazi. This man should be put on trial for his role at the Nazi death camps.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There has always been peaks and valleys with this show and the writing, but Lorne Michaels has a bad streak of exacerbating this by hiring terrible cast members then stubbornly keeping them on the show for years. Kate McKinnon was the star of this generation, but she is so overused her characters and style have become stale.

Nook likes this.
  18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Agreed, she is kind of like the female version of Jimmy Fallon. It's like she tries too hard to be the next breakout star by completely taking over every skit she's in - even if she's clearly not supposed to be the main character.

Same thing Fallon used to do with his fake uncontrollable laughing shtick. He almost ruined the iconic "more cowbell" skit by resorting to that foolishness.

19. likestohypeguy

I know, I don't particularly like it either in principle. Selfishly, I'd still want to give them a pass, just to maximize my potential consumable content out there. I don't guess there are any words offensive enough to potentially sacrifice hearing something that could be funny.

Same with concussed athletes. I've just been convinced by AB's erratic behavior timeline, too much a coincidence. I'm not saying, I mean they still have to account for their actions if they really commit a heinous crime, can't have that. But near misses, vase & ottoman ALMOST hitting a toddler, he's wearing a towel instead of clothes... while technically illegal, come on, don't rob us of that story line in what's shaping up to be one of the most interesting NFL seasons in a while. (If he really cranked one out on that girl without consent, I agree that's not acceptable).

We could loosen up, a little, with everyone else too. I mean, still patrol them, but just a little less so it's not as much a double standard with athletes & comedians as you point out, the latter of which yeah I want a full on pass, on stuff they say. Anything they want, np.

#39 likestohypeguy, Sep 17, 2019
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think she was the breakout star but SNL ran her characters into the ground -- imagine if Eddie Murphy would have done half a dozen skits of James Brown's Celebrity Hot Tub Party instead of one and done. It would have ruined an all time great skit. The only character Eddie over used was Gumby, but Eddie was on another level and moved on quickly to bigger and better things. SNL needs to find another talent like Eddie or Will Ferrell then build a new cast around them.

/rant

Rocket River and FranchiseBlade like this.