1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Hart and driver seriously injured in car wreck

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Jontro likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

SOUPED-UP CAR LACKED CRITICAL SAFETY FEATURES

Kevin Hart was riding in a death trap in the form of a tricked out 1970 Plymouth Barracuda ... so say car experts, who believe his ride lacked key safety features that would've spared him horrendous injuries as a result of his car crash.

Several owners of car customizing shops specializing in performance vehicles tell TMZ ... it's "highly unusual" for cars with 720 horsepower to be outfitted without a five-point harness and a roll cage.

Kevin suffered 3 spinal fractures when his car crashed through a fence on Mulholland Highway in the Malibu Hills. He had serious back surgery where doctors fused 3 sections of his spine. He's now starring down months of rehab.

https://amp.tmz.com/2019/09/07/kevi...ing-roll-cage-plymouth-barracuda-back-injury/

Yung-T likes this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What's odd to me is that it's not like Speedkore is some fly-by-night operation. It's crazy they built a similar car for Rogan that had a roll-cage and harness. Unless Hart said he didn't want it because it went out-of-budget or something or "I'm not going to flip the car!". In which case, I can't believe they went ahead and did the build anyway. I don't think there's any law that requires it, and there are plenty of hot rods out there that probably don't have it, but damn, everytime I see that car post-wreck, I'm honestly shocked anybody survived.

KingCheetah and Yung-T like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

5. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

We used to highly recommend them especially on open top vehicles and anything over 400hp. The biggest issue was the main hoop and down bars hurt the look of the vehicle.
    Most of these celebrities have no formal training on handling a high horsepower vehicle and I’m surprised you don’t see more of this often.

#25 Blurr#7, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    KingCheetah likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You may be right, but in fairness to Hart, he wasn't driving the car during the wreck. I still would love to learn why this car didn't have the safety features, though.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

i didn't know roll cages are a safety feature. had a friend who had this sick 1960s mustang. didn't understand the cage inside of it, which i thought made it look bad.

8. Blurr#7

Oh I know he wasn't driving but I'm telling you people will take a high HP car and think it's no big deal. We built a 700HP N/A Viper that the customer wrecked 3 times even after we installed custom trac control with a Pro EFI kit before he finally sold it. I had him set up for the CDS at MSR and he never went. That's just one of the many stories I've personally witnessed.

Yung-T, Jontro and tmoney1101 like this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

CDS? MSR?

I just wonder how Kelvin is really
    the details are murky
    and
    seems like he was the most seriously hurt

Rocket River

10. Blurr#7

Sorry CDS is Competition Driving School. MSR is a track in Angleton that offers it. Yeah details are very murky but with a open top vehicle and no cage I can see why his back is jacked up.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

There's a reason they call some of these cars widow makers.
    An average driver doesn't have the skill to properly use the power in these powerful cars...but it doesn't prevent them from buying it and showing off.

I have only let a couple of friends drive my car. Every one gets a small talk from me first lol.
    I better not see "12 o clock one handed steering wheel position". Better be at 9 and 3.

Asian Sensation, Yung-T and Blurr#7 like this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's the scary part about the pics... the car wasn't an open-top -- it became one. I don't know if it's from the fire department having to cut them out or if the wreck ripped it off.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  13. Blurr#7

Wow you’re right! I just looked up the before pics! I actually thought it was a convertible Cuda!

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Fire department had to cut to get the passengers out of the car, think it's stated in the article.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Jontro and Yung-T like this.
  16. likestohypeguy

Huh. I drive by that place several times a week on cr48, always assumed it was a go-cart track for some reason lol.

17. Blurr#7

It’s both they also run bikes.

18. Asian Sensation

Wutcha got?!

19. marky :)

marky :) Member

Was about to ask the same thing lol. I think he used to have a Porsche avatar so possibly a Porsche.

Sajan likes this.
  20. Sajan

Sajan Member

Dang good memory!
    1987 and a 2014 911. Not as powerful as some would imagine but car being rear engined throws people off.