1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Impossible Whopper

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sounds scientific, but could there be a hidden danger? Don't forget The Blob!

Buck Turgidson and durvasa like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

How else will the "special people" travel to Mars and beyond?

Us normals will be stuck here eating possums and whatnot.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

B-Bob and ThatBoyNick like this.
  4. Roscoe Arbuckle

Why are you such an insufferable troll?

5. Buck Turgidson

No idea if they still have it, or if it's the same, or even if the restaurants are still around, but Hungry's Cafe had the best veggie/black bean burger I've ever had. The one on Memorial was my first job in HS, still possibly the best real job I've ever had.

When I'm going veggie sammich for lunch, I'm having a falafel.

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Have you been to Zabak's for their felafel? Best in town.

7. Buck Turgidson

Not sure if I ever went there or not, if it's newish in the last decade I haven't. I have exactly 1 option for gyro and falafel here in Marble Falls, my favorite food trailer makes a solid, not great, one.

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

Zabak's used to be called "Mama's Po Boy" because middle eastern folk followed Antone's model, much like Italians followed Chef Boiardi and Chinese restaurants served "Chop Suey."

Mama's Po-boy was made by George Zabak and his wife. They were the definition of a "mom and pop" place. Such awesome people.

I initially went because I saw an SNL skit talking about "felafels." Then I found a sign in a window. Next to Lee HS. During Summer School. In 1988.

I loved it. It was different, but in a good way. I thought they could only get better, but no. George Zabak was a master of the quintessential Felafel.

Sadly, the parents I initially met have passed, but their kids are still a joy to watch running the place and I'm a huge fan of their success.

But don't take my word for it.

https://www.houstonpress.com/restau...s-23-green-falafel-sandwich-at-zabaks-6425710

RKREBORN likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

You like'a the juice?

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  10. Roscoe Arbuckle

Awesome. I'm sending to a friend who would love this.

11. jacoby

jacoby Member

12. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

What a terrible review. He says that he can’t blame Impossible Burger for the restaurant over cooking and finishes the article by saying they need to improve the Impossible Burger to compete with regular burgers...? What happened to blaming the restaurant? Also, how does he not understand the market for Impossible Burgers is different than the market for regular burgers? He makes it sound like eating vegetarian burgers is a chore, yet he’s offering to review it as if he can offer an unbiased opinion. So poorly written that you could say his article is impossible to finish, or at least saying “you know a thing or two about finding it impossible to finish” to the author.

#32 bobloblaw, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You should just check out @Jeff 's reviews instead, his are fantastic.

@KingCheetah can vouch for me.

B-Bob and tinman like this.
  14. Roscoe Arbuckle

Actually, my expectations were so low on this that it had nowhere to go but up. It didn't. That aftertaste was nasty.

Not the first time the Press got me to go out and try nasty veggie burgers, either.(hint: I'm team Fatty FatBastard...)

https://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/burger-bracket-2012-the-elite-8-6434406

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

watch out. Kellogg's is getting into the game with a Dad Joke name.

[​IMG]

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Very cowrageous of them!

ThatBoyNick, B-Bob and KingCheetah like this.
  17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Carl's Jr apparently has a beyond burger:

https://www.carlsjr.com/beyondburger

I only know this because I had to stop at a Loves in Angleton, and they had a Carl's Jr attached. I've never had an Impossible Burger, but my wife has made Beyond Burgers, and if I wasnt paying attention I might mistake them for beef.

18. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just had one for the first time last week and it was surprisingly good.

19. likestohypeguy

I need to try one from a different location. Probably no coincidence that even the coffee there wasnt hot, which is really hard to do at BK since theyve switched to the pod system (each cup is made to order). these guys were pre-making multiple cups, letting them sit on the counter lol.

First couple bites weren't bad, but I was getting kind of a burnt /off taste by the time I got to halftime, and bailed.

OT but IDNDIOT had the weirdest greatest Jimmy John's "Frenchie" (just Italian on a buttered baguette) experience yesterday. The baguettes had just come out of the oven, and their protocol dictates a cooling off period of 20 minutes before making a sandwich with them (bc these are usually sold as pre-assembled sandwiches, moisture wouldn't be good), and they refused to make one, even to eat immediately, until then.

The mgr overhead, and common sense prevailed, kind of... Handed us the hot baguettes, butter, meat and cheese all separately, along with their store's giant bread knife and spatula so we could assemble ourselves at the table. Policy: loopholed!

#39 likestohypeguy, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t eat fast food much, but when I do, it definitely won’t be at BK...BK is trash...always been trash, always will be trash

Impossible Burger is the new wave at raggedy BK? Well I’m good on that.

burgers are trash...fries suck...drink machines probably filled with all kinds of bacteria

BK SUCKS

McDonald’s sucks too, and don’t even get me started on Wendy’s