1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon Signing Like or Not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Sep 1, 2019.

?

Do you like this extension?

1. Yes

224 vote(s)
    85.5%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Should of Traded Him

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Im Tired leave me Alone.

19 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I mentioned Love because some of you here wanted him---I don't---and he's an example of a 'big name' player that Fertitta might open the pocketbook for. Especially considering the bigs we have now.

Covington I mentioned because he's an elite defender and very good 3 pt shooter. The combination is somewhat unique. Who makes 11 million or so. As to his 3pt playoff history, he's been in the playoffs one year, for Philly, for 10 games, 281 minutes. LOL sample size. I don't judge Gordon by his poor 2017-18 Rockets performance over 17 games and 549 minutes either. He's obviously much better the last two regular season months this last season, and this last playoff run.

If it continues, then this is a fair price. If he regresses, to say how he played at the beginning of this last season, this contract will suck---and the Rockets will likely have more problems than Gordon, at that point. He made 14 this last year, his next contract averages 18.2 per the next three years. A nearly 30 percent jump in price makes it not a great value in my book. It's a nearly 40 percent leap over the average per year of his last deal. For a player on the other side of 30, who hasn't played 70 games, 2 of his three seasons here. Feel free to disagree.

I want it to work out. I'm glad he's happy. I'd have preferred the money be used on a better player. I guess there were no better players for the Rockets' needs, who were available.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well almost everyone agrees Fertita is cheap so I dunno why you think he wants big names like Love...LTS and big names dont go hand in hand.

It's not my fault I'm judging Covington for his lone playoff series, it's Covington's fault he has only made the playoffs one time. He is already a 6 year vet and only 1 year younger than EG if he was such a great asset why hasnt a playoff team picked him up? Philly is a team that needed 3 pt shooting with Embiid and Simmons but traded him away and the Wolves also need an elite 3nD but somehow he could be obtained for Shumpert and sweeteners? If Covington is really an asset his teams wont let him go unless a star is involved otherwise he would be locked in a long term deal just like with EG.

30% 3 pt in the LEAST is like 20% in the West every single player who made the transition has seen a dip in stats. If EG was playing in Philly all this time his "down" years would be higher than Roco's prime as he would be pumping up his stats vs basically every single East team besides the top 4.

I look at the standings last year and its such a joke, Indiana who had the 5th best record would probably be even with Dallas who had the 2nd worst record in the West. So when you look at a guy's regular season stats and say he is a great defender and shooter when his resume has been built in the East, c'mon bruh.

Also who cares how much EG's salary increased? As per market his deal is still cheap vs other 3rd bananas in the league. We dont benchmark a dude's salary by his past salary, we benchmark it vs his peers. Nobody says Giannis is overpaid because his salary jumped from 2.9M to the max. OMG that's a 1000% increase!

#22 roslolian, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Emtenndo and banzai like this.
  3. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Giannis is one of the five best...you know what, to hell with it. I disagree with much of what you posted, but I doubt we're going to convince each other.

17-18 million is Evan Turner money. www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings/average/ (Jeez poor Portland, paying Hassan Whiteside that much money, and he's only the third highest salary on the team.)

I don't think it's a great contract or value if Gordon's play slips. You do. I hope you're proved right.

4. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

As long as he doesn’t have to start too many games and stays on the bench he’ll stay a lot healthier.

kjayp likes this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Just one point on the cost …. in terms of % of cap , its in the same ballpark. This year he's getting 10.52% and the next 3 years 11.86% , 14.25% & 12.52%.

When you look at it in that perspective and how the cap has grown over the course of his last deal , it appears relatively neutral in terms of cost.

I think that's the best way to figure contract values - their production as a percentage of the cap , not just a raw number with nothing to bounce it off of.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  6. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Careful...making jokes like this on the internet is how jackasses end up running through the desert looking for aliens.

But I agree. This is what should happen.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I like it. As long as he stays relatively healthy it's a good deal.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm okay with it, but I'm concerned that he may slow down or get injured.
    Go Eric!

9. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

With all that money wrapped up in eric Gordon, then it would take monumental change to break away from small ball.

Basically Eric Gordon is the starter at small forward for the foreseeable future since he getting 50 million dollars!

I guess it's small ball for the foreseeable future unless Mike DAntoni is shown the door!

10. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

bro we have Bennett.

11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

the eric Gordon extension is like Carmelo anothony says "bigger than basketball"!

12. s3ts

s3ts Member

Most guys go down in production after their payday. I would bet that EG is gonna go against the grade on that and perform better than we expected. He needed that motivation and we provided it.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good signing as long as he is healthy, I would have waited - not sure what the hurry was...but it is a whatever for me.

DD

14. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The extension was surprising especially after mike dantoni created flap about wanting more money. Not sure if Dantoni's system is a winning system after multiple disappointing seasons.

the regular season success counts for something. It should at least!

15. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

As long as EG can maintain its attendance in the last three seasons, the contract is perfect.

He can score, he can defend, he can hit three points, he is tough, he is our third best player.

Of the other 19 million players, few are better than him.

16. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

If we were spending cap space on the open market, there are probably guys I'd rather give that much money for that long to than Eric Gordon.

However as a permanently above-the-cap team for the rest of Harden's career, our only options for Gordon-quality players are bird rights and trades, with bird rights being the far superior option due to giving up nothing. So it absolutely makes sense to pay a premium (and make a long commitment) for a multidimensional borderline star that we know is great for our system. I absolutely like it, in our current context.

ico4498 likes this.
  17. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Gordon at the price you have to take it! PF or SF are at such low supply that they are overpaid think Andrew Wiggins and Al Hortford. I am cautiously optimistic about Anthoney Bennett as well as a role player our Daniel House of this season. We will see both our Forward positions lack depth and I think the Rockets are staying in bargain hunting mode.