1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 23, 2019.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

#221 mikol13, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    dannah, conquistador#11 and Houstunna like this.
  2. vince

vince Member

Bregman has the numbers to be an MVP this season. Plus he is doing so in a team with the best record in the AL. That should count for a lot.

I’ve heard the Narrative that Trout a multiple MVP is having his best season, so almost as a shoe in for the award. But hopefully better heads prevail and see that Bregman is putting up these types of numbers on a Juggernaut, leading the league in wins, and playing to win every single game, plus getting teams best performance as the Astros are the current benchmark for success.

3. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Why is Framber starting today?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Trout is going to win it. Bregman will likely be with Lemahieu in a race for 2nd. If Breg can go on a tear over the next few weeks, maybe he can close the gap. He’s going to have to pass Trout in some of the big categories.

I just wonder why Brantley isn’t getting more run for MVP. Where are we without him, too?

Taking Sanchez’s place who’s on the IL.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Baseball MVP doesn’t really take into account team wins. The player having the best season wins it more often than not.

Should more leagues just use that formula? Certainly is more consistent and less media narrative driven.

SWTsig and sealclubber1016 like this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

"Narrative" suggests some nonsense like what happens in the NBA.

Mike Trout is the most valuable player in baseball. It's not a narrative, it's a fact. The team around him being trash doesn't change that. Bregman winning would be the exact opposite of "better heads prevailing".

In a normal era Bregman would be a very legit candidate, but Trout is next level. Altuve only won his because Trout got hurt.

SWTsig and No Worries like this.
  7. mick fry

mick fry Member

Bet on Betts to repeat as mvp.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I’ll take that bet (that he won’t)

H-Town Info and mick fry like this.
  9. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

So the division record is the first tie-breaker between AL & NL? For some reason I thought run differential was the first tie-breaker.

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

Devers? I would love to see Bregs slip in and take it but the fact that we are even talking about Brantley is amazing to me what a pick up.

tehG l i d e likes this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If voting was today, I’d bet on Trout. Bregman is deserving and should finish top three.

12. Major

Major Member

Why should Bregman get more votes because he has better players around him? If anything, it makes his job easier - you can pitch around Trout. You can't pitch around Bregman because of all the people behind him. It's been talked about extensively how the length of the Astros lineup just makes it easier on everyone.

And MLB is not a sport where there's any reason for teams to play their best against the Astros. Something like the NBA makes sense where it's a bunch of one-on-one matchups and people want to prove themselves against a Lebron or whomever. Baseball is a precision sport - no one's batting less hard because they are facing a crappy pitcher instead of Verlander, or pitching better because they are facing Alvarez as opposed to someone on Baltimore. If anything, playing well and improving their numbers against the crappy teams is how those players on other crappy teams can earn money.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Bregman should be second as of today.

Trout frankly should be unanimous, there's a significant gulf between him and everybody else. But Bregman is 2nd in WAR (bWar and fWAR), 2nd in OPS, has the quality cumulative stats, and is on the best team in the AL. I'm not for putting much into team wins, but I'm fine using it as a tiebreaker if guys are otherwise comparable.

After those 2, no clue. There's like 6 guys I could reasonably argue being 3rd.

14. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Head to head is first tiebreaker but we didnt play them this year. Divisional record is second.

15. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Trout is the unanimous AL MVP. Bregman should be top-5 in the MVP race.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That first f**king batter he walks.

17. dannah

dannah Member

It's going to be a long afternoon...

18. dannah

dannah Member

3 strikes, 3 outs hahaha

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

If you need a tiebreaker, I think you go team wins in MVP voting but otherwise it’s not high on the criteria list.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

2018 Frommer in the 1st.