1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Treated for Cancer on Pancreas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BruceAndre, Aug 23, 2019.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

But wait - weren’t y’all arguing after Scalia died that the Senate should fill the vacancy quickly? Now you want the Senate to wait?

Seems you’re just as bad as what you’re accusing Mitch of...

Hint: controlling the senate is a big deal...

BruceAndre and Silent_Bob like this.
  2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If the Democrats/Republicans don't have the senate and the presidency, we will just have 8 justices for the foreseeable future. The supreme court has become just as political as congress and presidency why not just have elections and term limits for that position as well. Just stagger the terms so one party packs the court.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

lol jorge! we want turtle man to be consistent. he is the one who established the precedent that if a SC justice dies in an election year then that pick belongs to whomever wins the upcoming election.

im assuming you agreed with turtle man back in early 2016...do you disagree now?

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

No, it is additional confirmation of the ****-stain many of us already understand you to be.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Wow, you are truly delusional.

6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Ah yes, good ole lefty emotional argumentation.

dachuda86, mick fry and Silent_Bob like this.
  7. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Why reply to bobby. He just wants attention

Silent_Bob likes this.
  8. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

D and D is a fascinating place. You’ve got bigtexx, Bruce Andre and others who post almost solely to irritate people, and then a group of others who get irritated and respond to basically the same stupid stuff repeatedly. I can’t tell if one group actually thinks they are going to convince the other group, or thinks that they will “win” the argument. It almost feels like each group needs the other to vent their internet rants or trolling.

Every once in a rare while, someone posts something insightful, factual, or well reasoned. But it’s pretty rare. I suppose this is a pretty decent reflection of American political discourse these days, but man it’s stupid.

Andre0087, RayRay10 and biff17 like this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

D&D is one of the places where you can see how united our country isn't

10. Rileydog

It might be a pretty fair reflection. I mean, there are a lot of people who have strongly held views that won’t change, a bunch of people who have no desire to speak intelligently or with any degree of respect, some folks that flat out like to piss people off...and then a small minority that is actually interested in discussing competing ideas, viewpoints, etc. Like there was/is a fairly intelligent discussion in the Andrew Yang thread on UBI, and it involves people with divergent political and economic view

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I’m sorry, but when dadakota posts that he literally wishes death upon those with different viewpoints, I had to step in today. I’ve cut back my posting of late because the liberals on here have become absolutely hysterical over Trump and lazily hurl the race card when they run out of logic. We need better dialogue in this country - wishing death upon political opponents ain’t where it’s at....

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The internet is fascinating. Most people don't intermingle with those of viewpoints on the other side. In real life, Bigtexxx wouldn't be able to say everything he says because people would just walk away. So he tones it down in real life because he knows that. Here, he posts the worst and most extreme version of his views, and yet people read it and actually will try to debate him, and then he cries about the intolerance of his viewpoints on here!

I think the threads and topics are going to dictate who shows up and how much trolling there is going on. Using Bigtexxx as an example, he isn't going to go to a thread with nuanced discussion - he doesn't care for that. He wants to go where he can fire quick strike salvos and dart away - and a thread about a SCOTUS justice dying is perfect for his agenda.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Rileydog

It’s a good thing you step in to move things toward better dialogue. In all seriousness, you could help by not engaging in the same stuff, but it’s clear you enjoy it.

14. Rashmon

Yeah, I know, I broke my own rule.

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

Some rules were meant to be broken, yours.

BruceAndre and Silent_Bob like this.
  16. Rashmon

I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You seem to have such strong opinions about people here but what of the issues? Go be the change you want to see.

You got into the scrap so quickly. Took me a long time to understand what you did about posters here. Are you a duplicate? You wouldn't say it if ya were so you can ignore the question all together.

18. Rileydog

@dachuda86 ,

If I’m a duplicate or some kind of burner account, it goes all the way back to 2002 and I’m an elaborate hoax that includes hundreds of posts about the rockets, including personal accounts of season ticket holder events with q and A with Kevin McHale and non stop whining about dribble mania.

And dang, what did I do about posters here that you now understand? I’m super curious.

The change I want to see (as I’ve already posted) is intellectual honesty, self awareness, and actual dialogue, instead of what mostly pervades D & D.

I’m happy to share my views if folks are interested. As a general matter, I listen more than talk because, for the most part, people around here talk endlessly and listen none. Also, listening is a far better way to learn and understand views that are different from my own. But if you really actually want to listen, I’ll be happy to share my views. I just rather doubt it because you seem much more interested in ticking people off.

I’m not smart enough to figure out if you mean what you say, or are just trolling. Assuming you do mean what you say, I think you are a pretty emotional person who is stuck. This is what I mean.

Most people, probably yourself included, see themselves as good, decent, smart people. You have political and world views that are advanced by Trump, and that seems good and right to you. The emotional disconnect is (1) the self image of a good, decent and smart person, versus (2) the racism, ignorance and incompetence by Trump. The self image quite immutable, the political views are also strong and seemingly righteous, so the enormous problem is reconciling those two things with Trump and all his baggage.

The only way to deal with it is to downplay the incompetence (“I don’t care about that”), mitigate the racism and ignorance (“everyone is a bigot”), change the subject (attack someone else, like Clinton, or Powell, or Obama), or just say in conclusory fashion that the persons point isn’t worth responding to because it is so wrong. You can’t have an objective discussion of Trump because you internalize criticisms of him as criticisms of you, basically attacks on your self image as a good, decent and smart person.

It would be a lot easier if you just admit that you prefer to compromise your integrity to defend/support/whatever-you-want-to-call-it Trump, rather than allow the more liberal than you agenda to advance. But you can’t do that because you want to see yourself as good, decent and smart. This is why there are so many closet Trump supporters. Announcing or admitting your support of Trump means that you have to deal with this problem.

Edit - your comment about this being a duplicate account or whatever, that’s the immature semi-attacking garbage that I’m talking about. It doesn’t bug me personally, it’s just seems to be your reflex. Pretty pointless really.

#58 Rileydog, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    joshuaao, JayGoogle, RayRay10 and 4 others like this.
  19. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

BTW, to those who are appalled by my "ghoulish" thread: how many of you would do a happy dance if Trump keeled over? Uh huh. That's what I thought.

Dark Rhino likes this.
  20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Oh and also: anyone who thinks that I'm Bobby isn't very discerning.