1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2019-20

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

You think Rockets would be interesting in a SNT With Charlotte , if they gave them Gordon/shumpert/2nd round pick for MKG , Willams and unprotected1st? Think he needs a change of scenery, rockets need a legit starting Small forward that plays defense, Isn't Gilchrist a Defensive SF?

We can then take that first and move it later down the road for a legit 3rd star, or draft a good player. MKG and Willams would work nicely off the bench, would strengthen the bench and make Houston a much deeper team. I think having a real semi star next to Rozier is tempting for Charlotte.

I dont think Houston gonna wanna pay Eric Gordon for being a 4th option. Not when you can get like Gilchrist and Williams on cheap deals and them two could replace gordon production.

#81 Le$$, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. alleyoop

alleyoop Member

[​IMG]

Not saying SI is the authority on how GMs value players but to show you how people without Houston biases see the two players:
    44. Eric Gordon
    66. Aaron Gordon
    I feel we would have to add a pick or two to make up for age but EG has accomplished more in his career and would fit ORL team's makeup better now that Orlando has resigned Vucevic.
    AG has never been an Allstar or even a 6 man candidate and cant be a team's best player BBBUUUUTTTTT on a team with two other playmakers and elite players he could blossom into a perfect compliment.
    I just don't see many other teams offering anything crazy even though he is only 23

D-rock likes this.
  3. alleyoop

alleyoop Member

Hmmmm
    What DM wants DM gets....... sometimes

#83 alleyoop, Aug 18, 2019
  4. alleyoop

alleyoop Member

Never doubt DM. He was going after Butler while over the cap.
    5mil could be added to the roster by signing A Shumpert or taking on some contracts with our trade exceptions or waiting on some of the recently signed players to become eligible just to name a few ways.
    The question is "Is a player avg 16 ppg worth 20 mil a year who doesn't get double digits rebounding or block shots?"
    Would this help either team or make sense if it could work?

fattz likes this.
  5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Even if that rating system was accurate for GMs (and I know you stated it’s not), your last statement should end this AG chatter. If you don’t see Orlando getting a better offer, then why shop him? Like you said, he’s only 23. And a fan favourite. How would trading him for someone that’s very close to declining make any sense for Orlando? If the answer is because they want to compete now; then my response would be then a) at the cost of trading away the player with the best potential for a slightly better regular season record? And b) if they’re competing now then the picks we attached would mean nothing

I respect the fact that people think he would be a good fit here, but we are not in the market for good players under 25 locked up, it’s just unrealistic. Veterans around 30 years old on expiring contracts and on teams that are beginning to rebuild are our best chance, and even then it’ll come down to whether we have the assets to beat out the competition as we are one of many teams looking to add that one player.

6. alleyoop

alleyoop Member

Your points have merit and I don't disagree.
    The issue is the cap and EG's free agency.
    I love EG on this team but I feel he fits best as our 6th man with starter minutes. Would he be OK with that and be willing to resign? From the few interviews I have seen of him about being here, he is OK here but not in love with Houston and I could see him leaving for a better opportunity and highest $. That leaves the Rox needing to make a proactive decision that will work today and for the duration of the Harden/Westbrook marriage.
    Cheap or old players should not be the solution. Paying attention to the true competition (MIL, LAC, LAL, PHI) we need size and youth/athleticism at the forward spot. PJ and EG don't match up.
    So, if not someone like AG or Jaylen Brown then who? Do you just let EG walk next year and replace him with a lesser exception player?

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Boston

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

In the case of MKG , his salary ($13m) is within the 125%+100k of EG ($14.05M) …. so no need to add Shumpert.

MKG is in much the same situation as EG contract wise - They both expire after the coming season.

I don't see Charlotte giving up MKG & a pick for an EG rental …. Not when they can ship MKG to a contender for a #1 pick between now and the deadline.

I think you are on the right track , EG for X@ the 3/4? just not this deal …. it doesn't make a whole lot of sense both players expiring.

I'd look at players on their rookie deals or early in their second contracts giving some cost / team control for a couple years which may require the addition of picks by the Rockets.

#88 Corrosion, Aug 18, 2019
  9. fattz

fattz Member

Thanks for the input and ways to expand the cap.

At this moment in time a Gordon for Gordon trade would not work because we don’t have the filler to make up the difference.

AG stats are off because of inconsistent playing time and a really bad offense. EG would really help out the Magic if he had the same role he has here. The Magic also have 6 now 7 worthy players at the forwards/center spots and need playing time to develop their youth (some have even more potential than AG) is why AG playing time is a mess. For these reasons, I think the trade helps both teams.

The numbers are off is why it won’t happen because it would make a difference on the court for both teams.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

While I don’t love his game Ibaka would be perfect to add to our rotation. A guy that can be our big 4 or small ball 5.
    We need that way more than a small forward. Unfortunately there is no way to get that salary with our assets.

RichieBanks and Corrosion like this.
  11. fattz

fattz Member

This will not be popular but cleans up a lot for both teams

Gordon
    For
    Crowder, Howard & Caboclo
    Just need time to pass so Crowder can be traded in a group. We get the size we need, another Tucker like player and Caboclo (late stages of a project that actually worked). For a player that plays the same spot as Westbrook.

RichieBanks likes this.
  12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I do like the idea of Crowder more and more as I see posters suggest us going after him. But I don’t think Howard would be acquired to keep. And Bruno did have a nice end to his season, but with the Grizzlies, and we can’t bank on him being a rotation player, especially since he didn’t work out for us last year; so we would essentially be giving up EG for Crowder and wishful thinking on Bruno. There really isn’t any other way to get a contract as big as his (even though his contract is rather small) so I see where you’re coming from. And it’s too bad because we’re just short if we tried a Clark IH and Frazier trade package with picks. Crowder doesn’t solve all our issues but he does keep us as contenders even if we do suffer an injury to someone like PJ.
    Is Nene still an option to sign and trade? Or is that definitely not happening. I really hope a S&T involving Shumpert is still a possibility this summer but unlikely.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They have his bird rights ($6,937,812 ) …. according to Spotrac. (as well as Shumpert )

And I get the idea , by what he said about giving up money that he expects that the team takes care of him somehow for giving up that money. I don't recall exactly what he said but …. that's what I came away with at the time and have wondered what their plans are there , especially after they signed Chandler.

Maybe he's signed to the coaching staff or some other position with the team ?

If they led him to believe that they were gonna make it right with him and then don't , that's bad business …. we'll have a Barkley / Les situation with Tilman and that's not good for potential free agents.

14. fattz

fattz Member

We don’t want/need Howard long term. He is on a 1 year deal and has the ability to rebound the ball. He comes back to us as role player or is cut within a week or two. (Truth he is useable filler)

I do view Bruno as a long term fix and an end of the rotation now with room to grow in the future. He is the way the league is heading —> long athleticism with a smaller skill set.

Crowder is rotation worthy and starts day one and we use Howard salary to tie him up long term at 10-12/per. going forward.

Harden, Westbrook, Tucker, Crowder, Capela
    Bench: Austin, House and the rest

D-rock likes this.
  15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I hope D-Morey is able to get in on this. Might be a perfect 4/5 for us.
    "The Pacers have engaged in active trade talks with several teams this week about Domantas Sabonis, according to Sam Amick of The Athletic."
    Amick says the Pacers and Sabonis are far apart on extension talks, and it's unlikely they come to terms before the deadline on Monday. Sabonis was going to be a major part of the offense with several plays going through him, so the Pacers would likely want a whole lot. This also comes on the same day that Victor Oladipo (knee) is a couple days from 5-on-5, so the timing makes this report even more interesting. Considering how much the Pacers would want, it may be unlikely he's dealt in the near future. This would likely push T.J. Warren to the four a lot more while T.J. Leaf and Goga Bitadze could see additional minutes

D-rock likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

What do Rockets have to offer?

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

The only interesting assets we have are 2019/2020 pick, Capela, Tucker and House (i guess). I think the Pacers would probably ask for pick plus Tucker, maybe Hartenstein/Clark if they think they have some value...but i still think other teams will offer more for Sabonis, and i don't even see the Rockets going after him.

fattz, D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Wizards look like a very obvious team for the Rockets to duck the tax with. I could imagine us sending all of our cash and perhaps a 2nd or two to dump Nene, Green and one of Clark or Hartenstein for a couple of their cheap rookie contracts in Robinson and Schofield. They have those two cheap rookie contracts, and the players themselves are near worthless I think, Schofield actually has guaranteed money long term which helps offset value for us, and the Wiz have two TPE's that could be used to absorb our contracts.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rather do same cheap trade to aquire Josh Jackson/Bruno from MEM, even if it takes 2 SRPs and filler. Value is low and upside is high.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Jackson and Bruno make a combined 8.8 million. My post was about dipping below the lux tax line, not about finding upside talent.

Robinson and Schofield make a combined 1.8 million, and the Wiz have a 5 mill TPE that could be used to absorb Nene and Greens contracts.

Nene, Green and Hartenstein(or Clark) for Robsinon and Schofield gets us below the lux tax while keeping the minimum 14 players necessary. We’d likely have to send all of our cash and a 2nd or two to get the Wiz to take the additional salary, send the two dirt cheap rookies, and use their TPE.

withmustard likes this.