1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asian Stir Fry Sauce

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

This is the one thing I cannot quite master, and it's pissing me off. I'm eating mediocre stir-fry pork as we speak.

Sweet/hot, with some ginger/lemongrass tang....

Any of yall have a good recipe, or if worst comes to worst, a bottle brand you like to buy in the store?

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

For the love of god, will someone help this man make, or find in a bottle, some good sauce? Our daughter is wild about stir fry and what we make is boring as hell. You would be doing us both a favor.

da_juice and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do you not marinate your meat, first?

I don’t do stir-fry anymore; as I think it really needs (or what I like does) much more heat that my burners can muster...plus, Houston is rich in options.

I recently reproduced Bún thịt nướng, though. It’s an overnight marinade that gets you that flavor. Pretty easy, and after grilling, gives me weeks of pork shoulder to store.

4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would also be very interested in recipes or bottled sauce recs.

5. Buck Turgidson

Deck, it's my ****ing kitchen kryptonite. I can do thai/viet grilled stuff, but a proper stirfry escapes me. And I've tried all the combos of rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar or honey, soy sauce, ginger/lemongrass/herbs....and I'm all out of ideas.

6. Buck Turgidson

What's your marinade for that, since you can't help me otherwise?

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Let me head to the nearest parlor, and I’ll whoop you up a batch

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

#8 Roscoe Arbuckle, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Deckard likes this.
  9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This cultural appropriation offends me.

donkeypunch likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We have no earthly idea how to make good stir fry, and the sauce is the most important part, of course. The dish is lost without the sauce. Veggies? We can obtain great organic veggies out the kazoo from several places, and high quality meats, if desired (my significant other and our daughter are both vegetarian, with my son and I (the youngest and the oldest) being omnivores, bordering on carnivores), yet no matter what we do, boredom raises its ugly head. The stir fry is boring. Our stir fry is boring, and it's the sauce, or lack of a good one.

da_juice likes this.
  11. Roscoe Arbuckle

Much like I go to Tex Mex restaurants for tortillas because they'll be better than anything I'd get at the store, I'd recommend finding a place that has a great stir fry and see if they'd allow you to buy some. Most places I've found are willing to please the customer. Worst thing they can say is no, so I'd call a few good places.

12. Buck Turgidson

The term "cultural appropriation" offends me, so there's that.

13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

This is kind of like asking for a curry recipe......there's a million different kinds of curry (and stir fries). If you aren't finishing your stir fry with some corn starch dissolved in some cold water or broth though, you'll never be happy. You have to thicken that stuff so it coats everything really well. Also....I didn't see you mention sesame oil......always a good addition.

superfob and malakas like this.
  14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's hard to make great stir fry at home because most stoves don't get hot enough. Try using a cast iron wok or make small batches.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Got both of those. Still, not right.

eta: and you're not gonna help me either, that's a great comp with the "curry". No measurements, do it by sight and taste.

#15 Buck Turgidson, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  16. Buck Turgidson

So far, for you shoppers, I've had this recommended by 3 people:

Mandarin Sauce by Panda Express, they sell it in the grocery stores.