1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm still not over the Texans drafting Carr over Peppers

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch City1993, Aug 9, 2019.

1. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Dammmmm. Forgot about him. Dude was a bull running downhill

2. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Member

Meh, for me, picking Okoye over Darelle Revis in 07 was worse. Both at the time and especially looking back.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think Kubiak's greatest failing, at least here, was investing so much in "projects," from draft picks to defensive coordinators, he very obviously prefered ceiling/potential way too much.

This player over that player is just hindsight fodder - but drafting a 19-year old in the 1st round to anchor the DL of a team that had the potential that 2007 team did just wasn't a smart allocation of resources.

4. vince

vince Member

NFL is such a crap shoot. Injuries decimate careers in a span of a few years. The wear and tear it seems has gotten worse in recent years. I was a big fan of his, but the man got shell shocked in a span of a few years, he had some of the worst protection in NFL QB history.

Carr unfortunately did not have the impact Peppers had in his career. The Texans went the traditional route, while they should have established the trench first. Peppers would have set a culture in creating an elite defensive unit, which in hindsight would have been integral in team building.

5. conquistador#11

Many talkingheads say this roster is top heavy. Which is B.S, considering that's the entire league. Franchise QB goes down, it's over for any team not named Patriots.
    What this franchise needs on the roster: a franchise left tackle that appears every 13 seasons, A probowl right guard that can solidify the interior of the line and came out of the 3rd round & an all pro CB who can also cover Tight ends, which is essential in this league.

Seattle Seahawks, how would you like a franchise Left Tackle?
    Philly? Would you like a probowler RG in a good scheme?
    Jaguars, interested in an all pro cornerback that a team whose fans say "they can't find talent" found?
    y'all can have them. they're not texans worthy.
    That's what I'm not over about. Oh, and our cheerleaders need more provocative outfits and dance moves! While we're at it can we not play a certain song. Why not get Brett Young to write something. And why did we trade for Phillip Buchanan!!!!
    [​IMG]

#25 conquistador#11, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Nook likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Fiddling around with their johnson, trading down, and picking the wrong Johnson because "Derrick didn't fit our system at LB" is the most egregious 1st round cluster**** the Texans have done so far.

Show me a worse one....

Nook likes this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

So they did it twice? Okoye v Pat Willis (or...) VS Travis v Derrick Johnson (or...)

Who ya got?

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You could add Marshawn Lynch and Revis from 2007 as well.

10. Buck Turgidson

As long as I can add Aaron Rodgers in '05?

Fun Fact: There were 13 Pro Bowlers drafted in the 1st round after we drafted Amobi.

That's some good scoutin', Texans, wouldn't expect anything else.

11. Hey Now!

To the Texans' credit, they have overwhelmingly nailed their first round picks. It is truly been the franchise's greatest run of success: 18 drafts and they've selected a sure-fire Hall of Famer (Watt), a borderline Hall of Famer (AJ), an on-pace Hall of Famer (DHop), a franchise QB (Watson), several All-Pros (Brown, Clowney), and a slew of very good football players (D. Robinson, M. Williams, Cushing, K. Jackson, Mercilus, Fuller...)

The only misses: Carr, technically Babin (was 2nd #1 after Dunta), T. Johnson, Okoye - and then a near-flawless seven-year stretch before Kevin Johnson.

Basically, they should avoid Johnsons as they're now 1-2 on that sur name.

12. Buck Turgidson

It's the "doesn't fit in our defense" that completely pissed me off back then.

Maybe C&C&McN could have coached a defense to fit around a HOF player?

13. Hey Now!

Yeah, but... many of them (Bowe, Merriweather, Spencer, Grubbs) weren't very good. But, man... Willis, Lynch and Revis went 3 of the *next four picks* and all three have a decent Canton case. That's rough.

That '07 first round was pretty doggone salty even though six of the first 10 picks didn't amount to much.

14. Hey Now!

It was the driving force behind my frustration with Peppers. I will defend the Carr pick with no hesitation. But Capers saying Peppers didn't fit his defense.... I mean.........