1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Texas Justice] Galveston officers on horseback led a black suspect through the streets by rope.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Aug 6, 2019.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Good point. Still feels like much ado about nothing.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Looks alarming at first glance, but when you consider it's their SOP, it's not racist. I agree with others that they should probably put the suspect in the back of a car. Tying a suspect to an animal is risking injury. Let's get rid of that practice.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I had an uncle that 3/4 Indian..... and looked full blooded.

He was my favorite relative other than my mama. He had a 4th grade education but was the kindest and brightest man I have known.

He was a master plumber. I remember being about 10 years old and helping him on one of his job sites in a wealthy section of town.

A policeman on a horse came by and asked us why we were there and why we had a dog with us and accused us of trying to steal.

My uncle was very calm and polite, but no matter what he said the officer did not like his response.

My uncle still just smiled and was polite....... until the police horse reached over and bit my uncle...

My uncle immediately pulled his arm away and slapped at the horse.

My uncle was immediately arrested, gun drawn and had the same thing done to him as the man in the OP's video.

My uncle was on a rope with handcuffs and forced to walk half a mile with me on foot as well to a depot area.

My uncle was charged with assaulting a police officer.

So what this poor guy went through isn't THAT unusual I suspect if I have had to deal with it before.

4. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Another day, another example when the internet outage is more ridiculous than the action itself.

5. Major

Major Member

It's not words and images that hurt people. It's stupid cops doing stupid things. It absolutely should be called out and criticized. People didn't gain civil rights or fight oppression or end slavery or whatever else by just sitting silently and hoping it would all just get better.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

"Internet outrage" = people discussing the incident.

BigM, OmegaSupreme, mdrowe00 and 2 others like this.
  7. edwardc

edwardc Member

That would have been too much like right if they would have used common since and simply called for a car.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Oh the stories i have about GPD. This is tame.

Ottomaton and Nook like this.
  9. amaru

amaru Member

Extremely bad optics.

AroundTheWorld, fchowd0311 and Nook like this.
  10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Those two good ole boy cops are historically ignorant and modernly facking morons. Oh man, way to embarrass yourself and your families.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I had to reply... this is a stupid take for obvious reasons. Serves no purpose other than to minimize and redirect from OPs thread. Make another thread about the issues of GPD so that this incident is protected as it should be.

12. Nook

Nook Member

This.

Is it racist? I don't know.... for all I know they have done this a number of times with a number of different people.

What I do know is that the optics and sensitivity are terrible.

There are ways for the police force to be more sensitive to the population they serve and still do their job properly.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

When you have a limit to the IQ of recruits this is what you get. We're lucky these cops know how to drive.

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

You’re real good at telling other people how to do their job. Is that your job?

15. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah this doesn't really help either.

There are plenty of police officers that are bright and competent.... they are just like anyone else, some of are great and some are terrible and most are in the middle

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The Galveston Police Chief already said that the two officers used bad judgment and should have waited for a car to transport.

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Ok. Protect this incident.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Remember how offended Trumpers were when Roger Stone was treated like a criminal when he was arrested? At least he wasn't tied to a horse and paraded down the street.

I'm not sure how saying you have other stories about GPD that are worse makes this incident any better.

Rocket River and NewRoxFan like this.
  19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Stephen Miller, is that you?

Dude, it really isn't a good look, leading anyone by a rope, and much less a black man, mmmmkay? But keep preachin'.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You want your soldiers obedient, not smart.

Yeah, I saw some stuff when I lived there, and when I worked as a doorman during Mardi Gras and Bike Rally. There's rules then there's Galveston rules.

Did the 'police officer' get charged with biting a suspect? Crazy stupid.