1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Last Melo Thread? Melo comments on his departure from HOU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 2, 2019.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Listen I hate to argue about this again but there is no way that for a full 82 game season and post season Chris Paul sandbagged his play, it’s just not true. Letting himself lose like that is just not in him.

He declined. He’ll shoot a lot better next year and still will be awesome but he’s just not gonna gain speed and be able to ISO big man like he’s used to.

2. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Melo just didn't fit. Morey made mistakes in his handling of it now the organizations image has been tarnished because of it. That wouldn't matter normally but have you noticed that Daryl has to make deals that dont pan out because teams front offices are fighting him. Also he is in the media to much. I know he is trying to adjust the negative narrative but then he goes and feeds it in other ways. Danny Ainge and Pat Riley are always doing ruthless things but they are not going on national TV or tweeting about it. I like Melo but if he really wanted to work things out on the court he didn't need to talk to Daryl he needed to get on board with Mike CP and James..

D-rock likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Absolutely. After the terrible start...

Tilman to Morey, "I don't care what you have to do, get Jeff back. I'll give him whatever he wants."

Biglydick to Morey: "I won't come back if Melo's there."

Not all that hard to believe, since Bzdelik left because of Melo's presence.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

There's a wide gulf between purposely sandbagging and just not playing as well because you're confused about your place at the top of the team. Nobody says CP3 gave up, but he looked a little detached most of the season. That's all it takes.

Just watch what happens this year. He's got fuel to fire himself now.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, I wonder why he was coming back at all. He just stayed half a year longer and quit to be somewhere else.

Bizarre season, cannot find another word for it.

Morey was already kicking the can down the road with role players, now he is starting with Melo, CP3 and soon WB?

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Melo just isn’t good...he can’t guard anybody, and his offense sucks now too

the fact that no one has picked this dude up is telling...if you’re serious about winning, u should want nothing to do with Melo

the only time he’s even playable is when he’s having the occasional game where he’s hot and can drop an efficient 20 or so points...other than that, expect your team to be worse off when he’s on the floor

Didn’t Melo have the worst net rating on the team when he was here? I can’t believe people actually thought Melo would be useful against the likes of GS last summer. The Melo overhype was incredibly ridiculous.

D-rock and s3ts like this.
  8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Melo snitchin on the Rockets. The media is gonna love this ****.

Although, I agreed that we gave up on him way too early and it was probably because there was some shady stuff going on between the lines. Maybe Jeff wanted him gone before he came back or maybe Melo refused to come off the bench after the poor start we had. Yea Melo sucked on D but playing him 10 min a game off the bench wasn't the worst thing we could've done.

D-rock and s3ts like this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Well, he obviously didn't really want to retire, but he quit so close to the season that the other teams were already set for head defensive coaches. He came back because a) he didn't want anyone to think he was actually retired, and b) the Rox agreed to end the Melo experiment.

I just wonder who made the ultimate decision on Melo. Tilman? Morey? Some combination that also included Harden? We may never know.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

If you think about it, this whole "I'm going to have to dump Melo after only 10 games" thing is probably the single most difficult scenario Maori has faced as a GM. Especially when you consider the repercussions since.

D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  11. s3ts

s3ts Member

Smith called him out w/ picking Knicks in his last real FA. I appreciate Stephen A for that.

Lets be real, you weren't that superstar no more. If you're going to take a step back, show us you can fit that role. If you can't do what Ariza did, then what are we talking about then?

We don't need a player putting up 15+ shots, we need someone playing very smart defense, going after loose balls and rebounds, knowing when a shot is coming to you.

There's scapegoating, there's the fact that we didn't give a fair shot. But if you're not a superstar, of course you're not getting that treatment. What did you expect?

If you've got mansions, be happy and sit down. That's why you skipped out on the great franchises and chose to nab that max contract.

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. Hardy Toll Road

I don't think Melo is as innocent as he's making himself out to be.

D-rock, topfive and don grahamleone like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

13 points on 12 shots (51% TS) and incredibly bad defense is atrocious...that’s “1 of the worst players in the NBA” level bad

I don’t even care why he was let go...if it was some random dude with those numbers and that level of defense that we let go, it would be totally understandable

Why does Melo have to be the exception? If he was still useful, surely someone would’ve picked him up last season.

jordnnnn and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Boy, you know ESPN working on absolute overdrive trying to make the Rockets the villain when Carmelo F. Anthony is portrayed as the sympathetic figure.

I knew his self awareness was low but damn. What a putz. What an absolute spoon. Is he really so hard up for attention that he would come play a caricature of himself, for the entity that helped solidify his reputation as an unmanageable diva to let them spin his 10 game stint/farewell tour into more drama and rocket hate???
    And with such courage, to come and imply wrongdoings. To speak without saying anything real. Pitiful.

D-rock, slothy420, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

* Camron voice* - People get cut everyday B!.. He alright right?

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Arguing? Where did I say CP sandbagged his play?

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Listen if Chris Paul is as hard to play with as everyone else believe, it’s because he always always ALWAYS has to win. He never stops talking and he HATES to lose. The Melo stuff may have affected for a couple games at most but there is no way it had that much of an impact on his play for a full season. The evidence for that is that we had a really good record when Paul and Harden played AND a really good record when it was just Paul. That’s just my opinion man.

18. HP3

HP3 Member

Uhh sorry more like debate or bring it up. Maybe I should have just quoted top five. Also sandbagged is poor wording from me, I just don’t subscribe to the idea that Melo leaving hurt CP’s play for a significant amount of time.

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This is so forking awesome.

D-rock, s3ts, don grahamleone and 2 others like this.
  20. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol u just repeating a narrative bro, so is Westbrook gonna work? I assume u think he wont.

N I believe melo was given the shaft, everybody on the team was playing like crap in those 10 days. Harden cp3 n Clint. He was a scape goat period. Nothing wrong with doing that honestly. Sometimes u need things like that to happen to make the team feel the pressure.