1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets, Mavs interested in Andre Iguodala trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 4, 2019.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If Capela is seriously hurt, our frontcourt is ****ed anyways. No remaining MLE is going to change that fact outside of maybe Looney who would have taken the entire MLE, leaving no room for a SF. McGee signed at $4M which would have left us at about $1.3 remaining MLE. Do either of these players push us over the edge? Looney might, but McGee definitely wouldn't. If we are simply talking about a small injury to Capela, Harden and WB can keep the ship afloat until Capela comes back. My point still remains, why bother wasting our MLE or a Shump SnT unless that big can legit help us in the playoffs?

Which SF exactly could we have signed IN ADDITION to signing a big that would have helped us? Maybe Lance Stephenson who still remains unsigned actually or Sabo, but unless you want to blow the whole wad and potentially not even sign House, we didn't have any real good options.

If I was Morey, unless I can arrange a trade for Iggy or RoCo that actually makes sense for us, I would sit pat given what was available to us and see what the tree shakes loose.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Clint was out a lot of games last season and likely was not 100% in playoffs.

Harden can take average talent and make them good, good becomes great.

But signing average talent or less will not win any rings. Harden is amazing but he cannot do it alone in postseason.

3. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

I don't think iguodala can help us anymore

seeing this thread not fall out of the first page is disheartening

stop it durrel

he's about to show he's washed

Mr Chuck Norris and RustyHarden like this.
  4. rockets13champs

At this point 17 million and being in lux tax ain’t worth it for him

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This is my point.

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Of course it is, because we haven’t tried to spend $$ on a backup C. Even with him actually getting hurt last year. This would be two summers in a row where we had MLE $$ to spend on a viable backup and chose not to. Yes, you can find quality backup centers for MLE $$. I’ve already listed a few.

Which costs you games and homecourt, like it did last season. We have a clear need for a backup C, we have $$ to spend on one and chose not to. All signings don’t need to be major signings to push one over the edge. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having depth and quality backups on your team. The line of thinking that one can only spend $$ on great players is asinine. Not you, but that is asinine thought process for building a title contending team. This isn’t the Big 3 league or a 2 on 2 tourney. You need a team. Spend $$ to build your team when you have $$ to spend.

The point holds for our SF position (since we have one on the roster) and PF position too. There have been plenty of guys signed for mle $$ that could have helped us and we had $$ to spend that we sat on.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Interesting strategy. The only downside is you don't have Iggy's bird rights. Neverthess the strategy to get Memphis some value and decreasing the cost is a good one.

I think the biggest competitors for Iggy are BOTH LA teams and also Denver showed some interest. So have to beat out their offers. The Rockets could offer the biggest role for Iggy, but either LA team might be more tempting for him.

jch1911 likes this.
  8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The other benefit to the "trade for a buyout" strategy is that Memphis would have incentive to try and push him to Houston. Not necessarily because Houston's asset offer would trump all others (I bet most contenders would offer a 2nd or two), but Houston having the $5.5M available from the NT-MLE would likely generate a much friendlier buyout for the Grizzlies, as compared to the Clips/Lakers/Nuggets signing him for the minimum.

Now, for this analysis to be valid... Tilman would have to spend the $5.5M and go into the tax, yes. But I'm assuming they have authorization to do so, based on the @Clutch report from Friday. Furthermore, if they're unwilling to go into the tax in many non-Iggy scenarios, then the hard cap really isn't much of a deterrent.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The contract doesn't bother me at all …. Its "only money" and someone else's money at that.

What concerns me is what you have to give up in terms of draft assets. I aint giving up more than a 2nd for an Iggy rental.

I think the biggest question here is "Can we do better than Iggy?" and I don't know the answer to that.

Covington maybe ?

What shakes loose at the deadline ?

At some point Iggy becomes your best option.

Zoplicone likes this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If this strategy worked and you were actually signing Iggy for $5.5 million I think you'd have a pretty good chance to keep him if you wanted to. He's 36 going on 37 next offseason is someone giving him a bigger deal than MLE money next year?

Still, I don't think this is happening. We talk about scenarios like this but can't think of them happening. It might even be considered circumvention.

Deuce and joshuaao like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is right from the _holic playbook.

Nook, joshuaao, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This was an interesting read from the Grizzlies perspective on Andre Iguodala. Speculates that due to a roster crunch it is more likely Andre gets moved (via trade or buyout) before the season starts. Will be interesting to see how hard the Rockets pursue him.

13. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Ok my mistake you're right. Everyone involved in the NBA's entire purpose should be serving what the Rockets want to have happen.

14. The Cat

My bad, you're right. Shumpert will probably prefer taking 15% of his potential S&T salary just to middle finger the Rockets.

(Can we debate like grownups, or do you want to just keep acting like a dick for no apparent reason?)

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I really do hope that Shump has promised money through a SNT because if not the market is completely dried up. He is definitely better than a few guys who got paid decently.

Nook, Deuce, jch1911 and 1 other person like this.
  16. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Iggy is a much stronger defender than Shumpert and even though he’s older he can still get above the rim with ease. Shumpert has NEVER been a 3-point shooter and looked lost defensively many time so I think you have to go with someone that can play solid D, rebound, and play above the rim with Harden and Westbrook. Anyone that watched the playoffs last years knows Iggy still has a lot left in the tank. Yes? He was injured but he’s strong and showed what a good defender he is by guarding Harden. As for Shumpert, we need to package him to another team for someone that can help this year, whether it’s Iggy or Covington. I’d actually prefer the later since he’s a better three piping shooter and much younger.

Aruba77 likes this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

the other thing is that Iggy steps up big in big games. He seems to shoot better and he's all over the court. I think it's just season maintenance and health you have to pay attention to with him, but come playoff-time he's going to be a valuable contributor. His defense alone is worth dealing for him.

Bshaud and YOLO like this.
  18. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Debate like adults? You're playing 2K with the trade fairness turned off.

19. The Cat

We're in August and Shumpert doesn't have a team, and yet you're acting like he'd thumb his nose at a $13M deal with Memphis to take a $2M deal somewhere else (and we don't even know if he's been offered that). Good lord.

D-rock, luckyman76, Nook and 3 others like this.
  20. Game7

Game7 Member

You are trying to **** on a respected member of this message board and the press. There is nothing about what you are doing that warrants respect. But you know best...