1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should've just kept Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LCII, Jul 17, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

and then what? take a terrible shot or make a horrible decision right after. so impressive

justtxyank likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

BeardNation13 likes this.
  3. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

I was re-watching that Clippers vs Spurs 1st round playoff series and just watching how Chris was playing. We definitely didn't maximize on Chris' skillset or didn't make our best effort to put him in his element. It reminds me of when we had Trevor Ariza a long time ago and tried to make him our go-to guy.

I think an older Chris is a better version and fit than Nash for Dantoni's 7SOL Suns' scheme and would age gracefully in that system.

That being said, it seems Chris rubs people the wrong way and the age and personality gap is apparent. Russ gives you the same killer instinct and tenacity that Chris has, that is not naturally in James, but Russ is closer in age and personality. Add to that, they grew up together as basketball players, attaining fame, and elevating to an MVP status together.

That Harden documentary (Not Morey Jr's Version) is really telling how close that bond was and how Harden felt when he got traded. I'm hoping Russ' intensity rubs off on Harden. The fast breaks will improve. Capela on the run is even more of a threat now. And as Barkley and various other media members have stated, if it doesn't work, Russ is a more tradeable asset.

Perfect timing really.

4. Denovo

Denovo Member

In Harden’s defense.

Harden didn’t need to change with Paul. We’d arguably have a ring if Paul could stay healthy. The difference between last year and our 65 win year was Paul’s decline. If anything Harden stepped up to make up for Paul’s lesser production. Both his regular season and playoff performances improved.

Dwight’s problem was his refusal to run the PnR which would’ve been absolutely dominant as we see with Capela. And... the fact that Dwight couldn’t guard LaMarcus Aldridge in the playoffs

Harden already stated he will play off ball with Russ. Considering their friendship I believe it. Harden has the skill set for it if he wants to do it. USA basketball will be telling because it’s the perfect opportunity for him to practice off ball movement.

However... I do agree that if this doesn’t work due to chemistry issues then it’s definitely on Harden.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Has he? I don't believe i've seen him even comment on the trade yet.

6. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Absolutely but Sir Uncle Les Alexander already achieved everything by winning back to back championships and it was time he enjoy his hard work and hard earned money. @tinman @Rasheed

Don't forget he brought us this guy too

[​IMG]

J.R. likes this.
  7. Denovo

Denovo Member

I went looking for the quote but couldn’t find it. I might have misread somewhere that’s my bad.

Nothing concrete or verbatim. Except the report that harden said they know how to play with each other. And that they do play pick up ball in the offseason.

As far as my opinion. Westbrook creating more spot up 3 opportunities for Harden isn’t too far fetched.

This is old from OKC but nothing in this clip seems unrealistic except Harden catching oops. They’ll share with each other. They’ve been doin it since childhood. Both have lead in assists. Them refusing to past the ball to each other sounds more unrealistic to me.

riko likes this.
  8. riko

riko Member

Damn I’m pumped.

Denovo likes this.
  9. riko

riko Member

I think there was some article in the chronicle that Harden had told the Rockets he will play more off ball with Russ

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Russ is currently a better player than CP3. Maybe not a better fit, or higher impact to winning... but that depends entirely on whether his efficiency improves.

In his MVP year and the year prior, Russ put up 55.4% TS%. Even those numbers aren't amazing - CP3 was at 56% last year, and that was his lowest year since his rookie and sophomore campaigns. Aside from his own rookie year, Harden has been at 59.8% twice, and above 60% every year.

If you want to understand why DM had to be pushed into doing this deal, that's basically the only stat you need to look at.

I'd still want higher in the 50's, but if Russ can get back to 55%+ TS% - he was at 50%!! this year - he's just a better overall player, that will require more attention when the ball is in his hand. Nevermind the fact that Russ has really never played "off-ball" with a creator like Harden is today. Off-ball Russ will be interesting to see. The upside potential is HUGE. If he embraces it.

That said... CP3, Russ, whatever... this team is still rolling out there at the forwards spots with House, Tucker and Gary Clark. Even if House has a great year, our forwards can't rebound and are too little. That's the problem. That's been the problem.

RocketOrg likes this.