1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The standings are hurting the Astros right now. Fringe teams (A’s, Angels, Rangers, Indians, Mets, Reds, Pirates, Snakes, Rockies, Giants, Padres) haven’t gotten far enough back to call it. And every team that isn’t a seller ends up as a buyer, especially for players with additional years of control. As it stands, Stroman and Boyd are the only 2 quality SP who are certainly available, and I’m sure the asking prices for both are crazy.

I would have liked Luhnow to have made a preemptive move for a fringy starter like Cashner, Bundy, Leake, Bailey, Duffy, Norris, Zimmerman, Sanchez, or Nova just to take some pressure off.

2. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I know we are all going crazy about the lack of pitching depth right now, but one thing I know for sure is that if push comes to shove and this team needs to make a move, Lunhow will not hesitate to pull the trigger.

So while the A's are getting closer and things are looking dim at the moment, there is no way I am going to panic over it.

whiskeyred likes this.
  3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

And this is the risk you run when you punt on offseason moves and just say "we can trade for someone at the deadline."

CheezeyBoy22 and everyday eddie like this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is a good thing the Astros won the offseason.

BMoney likes this.
  5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

What did they punt?

Brantley = AS
    Miley = Keuchel (Arguably)
    ? = Morton (depends on who you add with that extra Team Control for 2020 and beyond)
    Diaz = Marwin (He hasn't been great this year)

To say they punted is meh at best...

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

This. For most player loses the Astros were able to find similar players for cheaper contracts so essentially you have a Brantley for Morton swap. The Astros were likely expecting Whitley to become a 3rd/4th start in our rotation this year, and instead he's had injury issues. On the other hand the Astros have had a surprise DH/OF prospect in Alvarez come up and play at an all-star level.

I'm not worried. The Astros will address their pitching over the next few weeks.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I certainly don’t fault the logic in depending on McHugh, Miley, Peacock, Whitley, Martin, Valdez, James, Armenteros, etc to capably fill the 3-5 spots. Nobody could have predicted every single one of those guys would have issues. Just bad luck.

8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I know it sounds like I'm joking, but isn't Edwin Jackson a better 5th starter than Framber/Armenteros/BullpenGame? It's not like he'd start a playoff game (or even make the playoff roster).

Htown Legend likes this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’m not even remotely concerned about the division. I just want to save as much bullpen as possible for the playoffs and we’re going to need another starter to make that happen.

We could absolutely win a World Series with a Verlander/Cole/Miley top 3. Though I expect that the #3 will be somebody else.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

ummm...JV thinks Jackson gives up too many homers. I don't know who David Hess is, but I was surprised to see someone give up more homers per inning over the last 3 years than Jackson (min 30 starts). I would not want Jackson while the 2019 ball is used.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

The Astros will add a starter. Then the 5th starter will probably be Armenteros or Sneed until Peacock comes back.

12. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I think the A's getting Homer Bailey (I can't believe I'm saying this) was the perfect stop gap till July 31st to keep them in it. It's something the Astros haven't had to do, out of necessity, due to the lead. Maybe if the Astros had a crystal ball to land someone else to eat innings in June we would have a bigger lead but you can't predict injuries.

Now, it's slowly evaporated. I know we will add 1-2 starting pitchers and a few bullpen pieces but these injuries have given the other AL West teams... hope.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Honestly I’m feeling more and more like Bumgarner may be an Astro.... seems like the price of controllable sp beyond this year is way too high and a package for Bumgarner could be both attractive to SF and won’t be mortgaging the astros future. Only question is will madbum waive his no trade clause? I think that the fact that teams like the twins and rays Are NOT on his no trade clause actually gives the Astros more leverage. Cmon madbum... Houston is a great city with great fans, great players and damn we could really use you right now! Get u another ring and then hit FA!

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

You say that Bumgarner acquisition wouldn't mortgage the future...but the Cubs gave up Gleyber Torres for a "rental" of Aroldis Chapman. The market varies year to year, and this year starting pitching is limited. It is very much a sellers market.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

When you look at MadBum's NTC list, it's very evident that it's a 100% leverage play on his part. By not including the clear-cut favorites who are likely to trade for him, he gives himself an opportunity to control where he ends up. I obviously could be wrong about this, but if the Astros were to try and trade for him, I 100% believe he would waive the NTC (as he would for ANY of the teams on his list, barring personal reasons for not wanting to go to a particular city that we're unaware of).

Htown Legend likes this.
  16. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I mean yeah I definitely agree... the cubs acquisition of Chapman payed off short term with a World Series ring and were also looking to break a century long curse. I just feel madbum could be acquired without giving up tucker or Whitley to where as the demand for Boyd or Thor would likely begin with one of those two

17. awc713

awc713 Member

Zach Wheeler to DL

18. IowaAstro

IowaAstro Member

Armenteros and Sneed should be the 4th and 5th starters going forward.

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Either of those guys for Boyd is laughable

Now for Thor.....

Htown Legend likes this.
  20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Astros will make a trade or 2 so hopefully those are just some spot starts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.