1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook Is a clear upgrade over CP3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by astros123, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Mr. Space City

Houston has more shooters than okc and harden is better than pg

Rock Block likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

harden has less shooters around him, less efficient players, and adds a more ball dominant player with a huge ego

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol pretty sure cp3 was allowed to run the show. But he simply cant. His age and his injuries.

You act like morey mda and harden held him back last year lol

Mr. Space City likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

he most certainly can be...CP0 was declining heavily, it was abundantly clear

he definitely has a higher upside and is at least still in his prime

it all depends on how dumb he’s gonna play and if he’ll be willing to pull back on trying to be a scorer, because his efficiency is sh*t

still, he’s a legit attacker and playmaker, something CP0 wasn’t really anymore

Russ and PG should’ve been better than they were, and that’s a slight on Russ IMO...u can blame him, coaching, the lack of spacing on the roster, etc

Gray_Jay and Mr. Space City like this.
  5. Mr. Space City

And more triple doubles!!!!

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Westbrook is in decline, as his athleticism wanes so will his game, see Steve Francis. This is a disastrous trade.

DD

clutchdabear, thekad and justtxyank like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup can't wait. the real mvp

Mr. Space City likes this.
  8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Like CP3 wasn't on the decline? Give me a 30 year old Russ over a CP3 that could barely play down the stretch of the playoffs last season every single time. There was nowhere else to go but down with CP still on this team

James needs a guy that can take the scoring load off him when he is tired or off. CP couldn't do that anymore. Westbrook can.

I swear, sometimes some of you would prefer to have those starless team of the post Yao era that couldn't do ****. 500 team at all times

Denovo and dchoye like this.
  9. DaDakota

One plays a cerebral game the other relies on his waning athleticism and cant shoot.

DD

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

westbrook cant even shoot and struggles at the line, yet hes supposed to be the guy to take the scoring load. wake up plz

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

How much was that cerebral game working for him last season? You can be as smart as you want, but if your athleticism has gone down the tubes, it makes no difference (Paul).

I for one would love to see what Russ can do with some actual shooters around him

12. alethios

alethios Member

Nothing personal, DD, but I hope this is an anti-jinx.

DaDakota likes this.
  13. icewill36

icewill36 Member

sadly I agree and thats why I have been mostly for the trade once westbrook became available. it seems like a huge risk but not really when you consider the rockets were only going to get worse with this group. you have to give this move a chance or you may as well blow it up. if it doesnt work, well, we werent winning with cp3 either. we didnt give up ego or clint, only one of our oldest players to get another star.

this is easily worth it no matter what IMO

Denovo, Mr. Space City and rhino17 like this.
  14. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Shut the hell up Dakota with your whiny ass! What a time to be alive!! We get 2 super stars MVP in their prime! And got rid of a 50 year old PG who cost us over $150,000,000,000!!! Hahaha now shut your whiny ass up! Let’s goo

kkthksbai and icewill36 like this.
  15. DaDakota

Westbrook sucked last year, didn’t even have to guard him.

DD

16. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Apparently that’s what Kenneth Faried thought... oops

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I like the trade and here’s why!

Westbrook will be Paul’s current age when his contract expires, but Paul will be three years older than that. His contract will almost certainly be the worst in the NBA at that point. Remember Ryan Anderson? Worse than that.

Paul is already broken down. Over the last 3 years, Paul has only averaged playing 60 games a year. What will the next three years look like? Probably fewer games still. Westbrook has historically been pretty durable.

Paul is unreliable already, older Chris Paul will likely be worse. Westbrook is one year removed from being the MVP of the league. He’s averaged a triple double for three straight years. Even if he has a big decline in production, he will still likely be a very good player towards the end of his contract. Will Chris Paul? I seriously doubt it.

You could trade a 33 year old Westbrook way easier than a 37 year old Chris Paul and maybe get some value back if the experiment fails. Chris Paul will be unmovable at that point.

This team with Chris Paul in its current form wasn’t going to win the Western conference. They had to try something different, and after striking out on free agency there really were no other options. Do I love the trade? No. But I do like it. Let’s see what happens...

Red Chocolate and Mr. Space City like this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Agree to disagree. Elite court vision has become a secondary commodity in the NBA, while the things he has been covering up with great effort and IQ (like height, length, shot selection) have risen dramatically in difficulty. He's not only aging fast, but half of the things he's great at are dropping in importance. With his elite court vision, he still doesn't produce points for his team as efficiently as Harden who is not an elite court vision guy.

It's not a system issue either. Any team who's success rests on Chris Paul dominating the ball for most of his minutes on the floor is in trouble. He will miss a lot of games, his ability to break down even the slowest of defenders is rapidly disappearing, and his salary makes it significantly more difficult to surround him with what he needs to be successful.

With Chris Paul it's not a car (his game) driving into a wall. It's a car driving into another car moving in another direction (the league). The decline will be rapid. Great court vision is not effective unless the threat of scoring exists too. If you can defend Paul with your C, then the other 4 guys will struggle to even get open to receive the ball. We're talking about a guy who in the playoffs struggled to take every single Jazz and Warriors player off the dribble including Favors, Gobert, Looney, Cousins, Durant, etc. We're talking about that guy for 3 more years in his mid 30's with a salary that restricts our roster flexibility.

IMO he will have a better season than last season and then it's completely over after that both physically and stylistically. I love his game and I love that era of basketball, but in terms of pragmatism, it was a nightmare to have that guy on the books for 3 years at $35m+ in his mid 30's with chronic injuries.

Russell Westbrook is not a top 10 player imo, but his next 3 years are extremely likely to be better than Paul's - even if not by a lot. There's a reason we had to include 2 picks and 2 swaps to make this happen and no one in the world is saying Presti got great value out of Westbrook.

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator

biff17 and gogispade like this.
  20. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'm very interested to see how this plays out... I think Morey just sticking to the stars over everything mentality, and we are essentially locked in with two MVP's (deserved or not) for the next 3-4 years who seemingly want to play together. Chris Paul was worth the money in year one, but quickly declined. Was tough to watch at times in playoffs.

Russ/PG combo was underwhelming, but PG is more of a compliment. Since his early days, I've thought Westbrook should play SG. I think he can maintain a high volume role with Harden handling points guard duties, and run the second team like CP3 did. More transition, better rebounding, more ball movement hopefully. Wonder if this will help us get ring chasing vet min players too.