1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Houston White Evangelical Pastor Arrested for Sexually Abusing Teen for Years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. Fantasma Negro

Death via firing squad is the only deterrent for pieces of **** like this

King1 likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Leaving your children with a religious leader has become a real danger -- maybe it has always been.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. HTM

HTM Member

Don’t have any children but I would be skeptical of leaving my children alone with any adult male and don’t intend to (as much as I can control that)

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I am curious as to why his skin color had anything to do with it.

6. Carl Herrera

I never mentioned his skin color.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Former Houston White Evangelical Pastor Arrested for Sexually Abusing Teen for Years

mick fry, Astrodome and King1 like this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It always has been. At least in the Baptist church that I grew up in it existed. Not with the pastor but there were quite a few sexual abuses. Luckily me, and my family members were never involved but we know those involved and the high ranking members who were doing it. This was 30 years ago mind you.

The southern Baptist and “non-demomination” mega churches and their smaller off shoots have as many issues as the Catholic Church imo. Money being the biggest stomach churning issue to me, but sexual abuse is there too even though you don’t hear about it as much.

Nook likes this.
  9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I may seem like a defender of Evangelicals, which I'm not one by the way, I largely am critical of organized religion... this Zappa song pretty much sums up why I stopped going to church. Evangelicals are one thing, but these mega church leaders are a whole different ball park of scum. And smaller churches have problems. These types of places that have kids and families are magnets for weirdos sadly.

10. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Would you go the home school route then?

I don't think this is an adult male issue. This is an issue of not holding people in position of power accountable until far too late.

11. Buck Turgidson

The Southern Baptists are having their Catholic Church moment right now...sex abuse has been a huge topic at their recent convention, etc...and it's been all over the news.

Can't say I'm surprised.

12. HTM

HTM Member

No.

I think there are a spectrum of precautions you can take with one end being never let your kid out of your sight to negligent lack of involvement in your child's life.

I would be extremely cynical and cautious about any circumstances that would allow a male adult the opportunity to molest my child. I don't think school is a particularly dangerous place for that. Sure, sexual abuse does/has happened at schools but I think other scenarios are more dangerous.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's a sad modern reality -- I wouldn't leave my kids with someone I didn't know really well nor would I work with kids unless I was close with the family. Too many dangers for men working with children have developed over the past couple of decades. It really isn't something that happens frequently, but false allegations against teachers, social workers, coaches, etc. occur often enough along with the all the true incidents of abuse to create a culture of unease and mistrust that continues to gain momentum.

If you work with children and catch that one crazy kid who decides to get back at you for a poor grade or lack of playtime by making an outcry of abuse you are truly ****ed. That allegation is a cloud that will hang over you no matter how thoroughly you debunk it. I've read so many stories of father's getting weird looks and being confronted at parks and other family places if their child has run off and they appear to be alone watching kids play. You really have to walk on eggshells particularly if you choose a career working with children.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Leaving your kids with males with authority is always a danger. Pedophiles look for opportunity and religion, law enforcement, education, and coaching are areas that give them an opportunity.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I go to a church where they like to confess what terrible abject sinners we are all the time. I'm definitely not trusting those sinners to behave themselves with my kids. They already told me they shouldn't be trusted!

But, not all church cultures are like that. I know there are churches where the presumption is that ministers are more godly and less sinful than other people. And, I there's things about parenting that probably exacerbates things. You don't want your kid assaulted, but you also want him to behave, to respect authority, etc. So you find yourself telling your kids to listen to so-and-so, and you end up lending the trust and credibility your kid invested in you to some other guy who might not deserve it.

There are processes churches can install to take away opportunities for abuse. I think all congregations should insist on them. Stuff like volunteers with youth always have to be paired, and not with a family relation. Rooms get internal windows, office doors always stay open, and discreet conversations with minors have a third person in the room. And, of course, when you find an abuser, you don't let him have any more access to children. Of course, abuse is still going to end up happening because people are sinners, but organizations can reduce the incidence by eliminating opportunity.

The concern I have as a parent is that it's really hard to protect someone from themselves. If my teenager falls in love with the youth pastor, lies to my face, covers her digital tracks, sneaks out when I'm not looking, there isn't going to be a lot I can do to protect her. I can talk, but they don't always listen to sense.

16. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yep. And is he no longer white? :confused:

dachuda86 likes this.
  17. Carl Herrera

White is not a skin color.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

@cml750

19. Nook

Nook Member

Nope.

My kids are not left around religious leaders.

I don’t trust males that like to think they are authorities about what happens when we die, they have no earthly clue.

Especially not Baptist or Evangelist church leaders. In most cases we require our authorities have training and experience like surgeons, lawyers or architects. To be an Evangelist minister? You need no real training at all, anyone can decide they are one. At least the Catholics typically have incredibly well educated Jesuits and leaders.

Some people are attracted to religion because it puts them in a position of power and to not be questioned.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

How is it not?

BruceAndre likes this.