1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do lunch pail Evangelical Christians have lower moral standards for the Presidency?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 16, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

We are speaking of tendencies and trends, not making sweeping generalizations.

2. jcf

jcf Member

Might want to read some of the posts again. I'm not a big fan of stereotyping however one tries to dress it up. You typically aren't either based on some of your posts I have read. Not ok in other contexts. Shouldn't be ok here.

Os Trigonum and dachuda86 like this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ce-spain-study-belgium-catholic-a7819221.html

Atheists are less open-minded than religious people, study claims

---

Dr Uzarevic's paper, called "are atheists undogmatic?", states that "irreligion has become normative" in some Western countries.

He inspected three aspects of mental rigidity in 445 atheists and agnostics, 255 Christians, and a group of 37 Bhuddists, Muslims, and Jews.

The study claims that non-believers measured lower than religious people in "self-reported dogmatism", but were higher in "subtly-measured intolerance".

---

The findings also said that the strength of a person's belief in either atheism or religion is directly correlated to how intolerant they are.

---

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I’m going to take a wild guess and assume church sermons have focused much more on biblical characters such as David in recent days rather than Jesus. Or the character who almost murdered his own children for God.

Many churches have become far too connected with politics in recent years. Especially here in the south. Our religion is formed to fit our political beliefs. Not the other way around. That’s a shame.

The churches that are truly non-partisan and teach the values of Jesus really do need to stand up against these other churches and rich mega church pastors who are bought and sold by the Republican Party. Not to turn Christians into liberals but to try and salvage the sanctity of the Christian Religion... which is falling off a cliff in recent years.

BaselineFade likes this.
  6. dobro1229

Religion is a discipline. It also means you likely don’t drink (unless you are catholic) or smoke.

You also probably have a ton of kids which are great. All good things to live happy and healthy.

Not sure what the point is you are getting at though with morality, leadership, and the nature of politics shaping the church. Religion can be a positive thing for society in general and also be corruptible. That’s the conundrum society has dealt with for hundreds of years when it comes to Religion.

dachuda86 likes this.
  7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Just facts for discussion. Nothing wrong with facts.

You make good points dobro. I agree about the discipline thing.

I also think it makes people more grateful when you have such a clear concept of good and bad instilled. You know when there are good people in your life, and if you do have that, you really can be happy. Atheists have a blurry line about these things.

8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

No one uses a "pail" anymore, but I regularly bring my lunch to work so I don't have to leave the office. I use a briefcase bag type thing that I got at a conference. I see many others doing the same.

Oh, to answer the OP's question: yes, it is fairly "tribal." I think plenty of evangelicals held their nose and voted for Trump, because HRC was seen as a much worse choice.

dachuda86 likes this.
  9. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yep. They don't realize that they have their own religion and dogma. And atheists (if I understand the term correctly) are some of the most unthinking, small-minded people you could meet ….

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

They have the added "I am so smart" type of confidence that always precedes a great fall.

I notice many athiests, not all, have an arrogance about being part of the atheist club, and think it makes them smart because it's what smart people do. Well I promise you that if they lived 100 years ago, they'd believe in god with the type of thinking they employ because that's what smart people were perceived as believing back then.

BruceAndre likes this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Way not to attack people who think differently than you.

12. dobro1229

There is one positive for society with Atheism of having a large part of the populism be agnostic.

Those members of society will never look to destroy the world with acts of self fulfilled prophecy. There is a lot of positives in looking at the world as it is today and making the most of your time on this earth. Wanting it to be as great as it can be, and not assuming it will be destroyed by God soon so you don’t have to worry about pollution or anything in regards to future generations.

Religion can be good for society for the most obvious reasons I mentioned, but it’s almost single handily our greatest threat as well. Climate Change alone isn’t so allowed to happen if a large segment of the population doesn’t believe the world will end in their lifetime anyways.

Then look at the damage a group like ISIS has done to the world. That group cannot convert without a religious ideology and promise of an afterlife.

I’d be remised to not mention how freaking dangerous religion can be as well.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

You were saying?

14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

There's also the fact that Christians believe in original sin, so every leader is fallen, a sinner, and has moral failings . . . to a Christian.

#54 sirbaihu, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I don't think you need to point out something that obvious but yes some religious people can also be bad for the world. It's all about the person.

16. dobro1229

Yes but since this last US president came into power, there has been an obvious shift in acceptance & a moral pass on sins that with any Christian are considered deal breakers for going to heaven.

With the Catholic Church, and the Baptist church I grew up in, divorce is off the table with the sanctity of marriage being held where it is. So raw dogging a p*rn star when your wife just had a newborn child should be considered a deal breaker. Especially with an unremorseful sinner who can not bring himself to confess, lies about their sin, and refuses to ask God for forgiveness. Any way you look at it, under Christian text, Donald Trump is going to hell... unless he confesses his sins, asks for forgiveness, and changes his life into a humble one dedicated to serving God.

There is an obvious breaking of the "rules" now that would never have been tolerated for any other leader that has the support of the church. Religion in the US has taken a wild swing in order to maintain power. This shift in their standards will have a ripple affect for the Christian religion moving forward.

Your sole purpose ,according to the Bible, as a Christian is supposed to be converting others to Christianity and spreading the good word. How are potential converts looking to plug that hole in their lives supposed to think about the obvious trade off that the Church has made for their moral standards for political and financial power?? The Trump rules have created a major major problem for the #1 key initiative as outlined in the implementation plan of Christianity.

mdrowe00 and sirbaihu like this.
  17. fchowd0311

Are you reffering to atheists who left Christianity only or does that apply to atheists who left Islam?

Or are atheists who left Islam cool?

18. fchowd0311

But the atheists who left Islam are cool right?

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

It's fun to kick Christians (and Muslims, obviously . . . not Jews, obviously). But atheists too have their know-it-alliness.

If there's no God, then I guess "good" and "bad" are defined by humans, right? By the majority of humans? Or the minority of humans?

So, for atheists, it's a question of what the majority believe? Would that be China, then? India? There are more Muslims than Christians. Do Muslims get more votes than Christians on what is "good" and "bad"?

If you're an atheist, the only reason you can give for calling something good or bad is "Because I believe so." And then you get Uncle Sam running around kicking the **** out of China, Muslims, etc.

20. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

:D...well, if you ask me...

...the way I'd plug that hole between wishful thinking and objective reality, is to refute the geological data compiled from different scientific sources around the (flat) world that conclude that the earth is billions of years old...

...by building a Noah's Ark-related theme park, complete with a backstory of the world only being about 4 or 5 thousand years old (based entirely on a sketchy claim of Hebrew/Jewish lineage that even concedes on its own to be, at best, incomplete...if not totally farcical)...

...build that theme park in the heartland of 'Murica, where people love that sort of thing (but can't afford to go to Disneyland for their fantasy escapism...)...

...populate that theme park with dinosaur mannequins ridden by "heroes of the faith" (because even good Christian believers have seen enough Jurassic Park movies to know that dinosaurs were on the planet for a long time before anything like human beings showed up...no disrespect to Raquel Welch...)...

...and proclaim to simply be offering an "alternative" or "opposing" view of the actual truth of...well...whatever it is you want to offer an opposing or alternative view of...

...works in all the best Aesop's Fables I've ever read.

...except...

...maybe I'd be more inclined to take advice from a fast-talking rabbit or a slow-footed turtle than some of these Christian-types...:);):D