1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I enjoy talking with Mojo about the election.

Os Trigonum and MojoMan like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Political and media types frequently use polls to try to shape public opinion. If you think they don't, then I have some really great ocean front property in Arizona for really cheap that you might be interested in.

People who have sense who follow this kind of stuff realize this. People without sense don't. The article from The Hill that I quoted a few posts back alluded to this phenomenon. The thing that made me raise my eyebrows is that they waited until after Joe Biden's numbers dove precipitously before they decided to offer this observation.

BruceAndre likes this.
  4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Presidential candidate Amy Klobuchar is now in favor of starting impeachment hearings on President Trump immediately.

Klobuchar backs impeachment proceedings 'beginning now'

Sen. Amy Klobuchar shifted further into the pro-impeachment camp, saying Friday she would support the House starting proceedings to remove the president “beginning now.”

Klobuchar had previously been more ambivalent on the issue, as recently as several weeks ago reiterating that she saw impeachment as “one way to investigate and hold this administration accountable if the White House keeps stonewalling.”

The Minnesota Democrat is just the latest 2020 Democrat to back impeaching the president, and her shift comes days after Trump said in an interview he would likely accept dirt on a political opponent from a foreign national or government, and wouldn’t necessarily alert the FBI about it.​

Of course it should be noted that Klobuchar is lagging well behind in the polls and is therefore looking for a way to spark her campaign leading up to the first Democrat debates on June 26 and 27.

5. biff17

biff17 Member

Nobody promoted him.

Show one person promoting him as a presidential candidate.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

7. biff17

biff17 Member

oK I still don't see how he will be destroyed in both Iowa and New Hampshire and will be out of the race which is what you said.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I already walked that back so I'm not sure what you're talking about. He will probably remain strong in New Hampshire (top 3), but he will have a bad night in Iowa and that will be a mortal wound he won't be able to recover from. So far what I have said has come true. His best day was his first and it's pretty much all down hill from there. When he reaches the bottom is yet to be seen, but he will not be a happy camper after Iowa that much is for sure. How he recovers after that will tell the tale. If he rolls over and poops the bed in NH (let's say outside of top 2-3 finish) then he's basically done. So far there is nothing to suggest that Joe has staying power, and that's the real issue. It's typically hard to regain momentum in a campaign after you've lost it, and Joe is already losing it in droves (down 10 points nationally in a single month). Each new day more voters are finally tuning into the primary and finding a huge buffet of shiny new actual liberals to choose from not named Joe Biden. Time is his enemy, and there's a lot of time left.

#1108 DonnyMost, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

George Will, a former Republican who has a very serious and very public affliction of TDS, recommends that the Democrats practice 'modesty' if they want to beat Trump in 2020. A goal which he has routinely expressed that he desires for them to achieve.

George Will: Democrats must practice 'modesty' to beat Trump in 2020

Will suggested that Democrats focus on securing the African American vote, which he predicted will be "the decisive Democratic faction." Will cautioned that issues such as Supreme Court packing, impeaching Trump, abolishing the Electoral College "and other gesture-promises probably are distractions.”

A 2016 Pew Research Center survey that found just 27 percent of African American Democrats identify as liberal, while a plurality describe themselves as moderate.“The decisive voters might be those who crave not transformation but restoration — the recovery of national governance that is neither embarrassing nor exhausting,” Will wrote.

Will noted that Democrats have won the popular vote in six of seven presidential elections, urging the party to focus on “how to subtract states from Donald Trump’s roster.”

“Democrats must make amends with the 402 other counties that voted for Trump after voting for Obama at least once. This will require the Democrats’ progressive lions to lay down with the Democrats’ moderate lambs, a spectacle as biblical as it is inimical to progressives’ pride about their wokeness,” he wrote.​

This modesty "will require the Democrats’ progressive lions to lay down with the Democrats’ moderate lambs, a spectacle as biblical as it is inimical to progressives’ pride about their wokeness,” Will said. Which I get the impression he does not have a high level of confidence is actually achievable. He also suggest that issues like Supreme Court packing, impeaching Trump, and abolishing the electoral college are "distractions" that are not consistent with the 'modesty' that he is recommending.

Anyone believe the Democrat left 'wokesters' are up for this kind of disciplined and self controlled approach? Anyone?

10. biff17

biff17 Member

Nothing you have said has come true he is still leading in both Iowa and New Hampshire and he is still leading by 13 points in New Hampshire a place where both Sanders and Warren should have a northeast advantage especially Sanders.

The guy you need to worried about is Sanders your thesis for Biden could easily happen to Sanders he is falling in the polls and he has more candidates in his left wing lane.

if you look at the actual polling numbers in Iowa and Biden has lost a little over 1% in his polling numbers while Sanders and Warren have lost 6%from there highs which means Biden has a higher floor.

I am really not here to be a Biden Stan but your theory of him getting destroyed early does not hold weight Biden is actually up 4 points in the latest aggregate of polls.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e..._democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Since Biden made his epic flip flop gaffe about his position on the Hyde amendment last week, not only has Biden fallen off in the (way too) early polls, but to a lesser degree, so has Bernie. At the same time, much of the Democrat left media has become effervescently supportive of Elizabeth Warren all of the sudden.

We need to watch this until a bit after the first debate to see if this pattern of behavior holds before we confidently proclaim it to be a thing. But all the pieces are in place and things seem to be currently pointed that way.

It may be that the establishment Democrat left media is already throwing Joe Biden under the bus, and they have never been particularly strong in their support of Bernie.

Again, let's watch this for the next two weeks just to be sure. But this is somthing to keep an eye on.

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

South Carolina polls, where Kamala Harris has supposedly been going all in.

SC (Post Courier): Biden 37, Warren 17, Buttigieg 11, Sanders 9, Harris 9

She has to do well here to be able to stay in the race past the first four primaries (Super Tuesday comes next). This is not what she has to be looking for.

Of course it is still too early to be jumping to any final conclusions about what will happen in any of these races. But if she is going to be competitive in this race, she is going to have to do better than this, especially in the early state that she believes that she has the best chances in.

The early debates this summer are going to be important for all of the Democrats who are running, but they are going to be especially important for Kamala Harris.

dachuda86 likes this.
  13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

She's too ugly to win. Next.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

NOOO but he was going to cure cancer! We have to help him!

15. biff17

biff17 Member

What does this have To do with anything I have said?

I never proclaimed Biden would be the winner of the primary or said he would not have a drop in poll numbers.

i understand that Biden is a weak frontrunner I just don't think the left will consolidate against him or that he will plummet into the cellar.

The media is gonna gravitate to the not candidate and Warren is that, I would not be surprised if she wins the nomination.

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What's funny about this is that this is how I often feel after each of Trump's latest outrages. I can't vote any harder against him.

18. dmoneybangbang

Lol. So conservatives who are looking for a Trump alternative want the democrats to pander to them so they’ll vote for them?

Shocked.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Meh. Trump changed everything... “you can grab ‘em by the p***y” and still win the Evangelicals support.

Biden just has to literally not **** on stage to disqualify himself. Trump and his deplorable lowered the bar to their level.

20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member