1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I like how Codman posts about a movie on meth, then CometsWin posts right after with his Breaking Bad avatar.

Codman and CometsWin like this.
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Brothers - got pulled into this movie during a commercial break during the Astros game the other night and ended up watching the whole thing. The plot was a little bit over the top, but it was so well-acted that it didn't really matter. Natalie Portman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Sam Shepard....and Toby Maguire...never seen Maguire in a role like that! He was definitely drawing his inner Travis Bickle. Stunningly great performance. The ending was really abrupt. Didn't quite know what to do with it.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  3. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Savageland: 7/10
    Good "documentary-style" horror movie. Well done, well acted (for the most part). Enjoyed it.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile was surprisingly good -- definitely better than I was expecting. Bundy is literally a demon -- all the craziness in the movie was so over the top I probably wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't recently watched the documentary on Netflix. How could someone be so brazen for so long without getting caught? Two jail escapes, the trial with the crazy judge, and they still left out so much.

Good stuff -- 7.8/ 10

5. KingCheetah

The Last Breath -- this is an intense must watch movie (doc on Netflix) 8.8/ 10.

Wow.

NewRoxFan and B-Bob like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, that sounds great and terrifying. Always thought this would make a good movie: https://www.outsideonline.com/1922711/raising-dead

KingCheetah likes this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Men in Black: International
    6/10

Wait for rental. Tried hard to be as funny as the first three.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hotel Mumbai 8 out of 10. As tense a movie as I've seen. Based on true story.

Jontro, daywalker02 and KingCheetah like this.
  9. KingCheetah

Hereditary -- I've been putting this one off until the mood was right and went for it this evening. I knew I was getting into some Jacobs Ladder level psych terror, but it was so much more intense. The drive home from the party has to be the most horrific, disturbing scene I've ever watched in a movie. The entire movie is a mind**** that far exceeds any psychological horror film I've ever seen.

Do not Amazon and chill with the lady and watch this movie you will not be getting laid afterwards.

8.6/ 10

B-Bob and jcf like this.
  10. Asian Sensation

Agreed. The ending definitely seemed rushed/sudden. It’s intriguing in the beginning, gets good/dramatic in the middle and then the end was kind of anticlimactic. Portman looked fine as hell.

justtxyank likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was in Mumbai (formerly Bombay) around that time and heard about several bombings afterwards starting in 2007.

Jontro likes this.
  12. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Rocketman this weekend, not what I expected but dam good

8/10

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

An American Crime - cant rate, as I havent finished cause I was too curious and started reading about it instead. Terrible, terrible circumstances in the reports that made me quit the movie.

True story about Sylvia Likens and her abuser, Gertrude Baniszewski, that locked her in the basement and did terrible things.

14. JW86

JW86 Member

Murder Mystery 1/10 - Another Adam Sandler waste of a film, he's really not trying with this ****. Lazy bum comedian

Dark Phoenix 6/10 - Never got into X-men, but with the GoT actress I'd figure I'll give it a shot. I liked her backstory and powers, but they were not utilised to its full potential (yet).

Avengers: Endgame 7.5/10 - Thought it was very solid, I like the humour and story line for the most part. Thought the final battle was a bit underwhelming.

Shaft 2019 8.5/10 - Oh man, I don't get these 'critics', this movie was awesome. Samuel was on point as usual, less shouting but the same intensity nonetheless. The backstory is good, there's enough to make it believable, the young actor was alright and bringing back the old guy was cool. The shooting and fighting scenes are great and not too over the top. Most of all, I liked how they didn't take it too seriously and just decided to bring tons of humour - there are some very memorable lines, just crazy funny that made everyone in the theatre laugh out loud - along with the action you'd expect. Shaft in itself is not a movie or 'franchise' to be taken too seriously anyway and from the trailer, sudden announcement (for me at least) and budget this is as good as it gets. Go see it!

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Murder Mystery - 3 out of 10. Not great by any means. I like the concept and there were 2-6 laughs in the movie.

(rewatched) Kingdom of Heaven - 9.0 out of 10. I rewatched the Kingdom of Heaven. I saw it originally in the movie theater and loved it then. I saw a bunch of bad reviews and thought it must have just caught me in the right mood. Watching it again, I think the reviewers were wrong. It was Ridley Scott in the best of ways.

Sorry if I get overly detailed - The writing, editing, directing all came together amazingly. So much exposition handled at the beginning of the movie with such sparse dialogue and still entertaining. It was quite a technical feat. Film is a visual medium and the visuals looked incredible. Sometimes the stylized color grading and color correction were perhaps over the top but it was exactly what it was supposed to be. The whole movie managed to set up the political situation and intrigue without being overly verbose in an amazing way. When I hear political intrigue I usually think lots of dialogue and exposition and hope the dialogue is engaging and entertaining enough to hold my interest for the whole movie. This handled it in such a minimal way but I didn't feel like I missed any of it.

Of course, political intrigue isn't the main point of the film but it was present and done in a purposeful way. The action was terrific and brutal. The actors all did a fantastic job. I loved the movie. The only thing I hold against it was the love story part seemed a bit forced and not as interesting to me as it might have been to others.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

us - haven't finished it, it moved a little slow. pretty decent but didn't keep me interested enough to stay till the end so i just googled it. seemed like a nice twist.

vice - 8/10. enjoyed it. shed some light on a few things i found odd during the bush administration for sure. christian bale sold it,though story wise, the book was better.

17. Buck Turgidson

Not sure I ever even saw the "theatrical cut" of Kingdom of Heaven (which is, I believe, the one that got crapped on by critics and audiences), but the "Director's Cut" is a damn good movie.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The Upside - 6/10 - Rented at the Redbox and it seemed really familiar to a French film I'd seen several years earlier. Sure enough, it appears to be a remake of the film The Intouchables. I enjoyed this version with Bryan Cranston but it seemed to miss something. Decent watch.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Finally saw Ex Machina. 9 out of 10. Wow. Great movie, great story, great performances, great special effects.

RudyTBag, JW86, daywalker02 and 2 others like this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

is that the one where they had a huge buildup to the battle and then sort of skipped the whole fighting and went straight to the aftermath?