1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do lunch pail Evangelical Christians have lower moral standards for the Presidency?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a good question. I think the answer they will give is that it doesn't matter as much as the moral policies and supreme court judges they apport. That's just my prediction.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I predict they will pivot directly to Clinton and Clinton voters.

peleincubus and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They're completely full of crap, that's why.

Amiga likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

So called Jesus follower.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the far right sees morality as fluid. That is if you accept Jesus then you are pretty much free to do whatever you like.

They don't see things a lack of morality as that big of a problem, they really see the problem as non-white and non-Christians dominating the world as a bigger issue. So they can sacrifice morality if it means it will make this country more Christian and more white.

jboslett likes this.
  8. jcf

jcf Member

Well, we are all stereotyping here because I'm sure some evangelicals can't ignore his personal behavior while others place helping on issues they support as more important.

sirbaihu and dachuda86 like this.
  9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I would wager this poll would change if it was a dem in the white house. People are focused on their tribe and evangelocons are complacent while the left are going into a tizzy every time the president farts. Big deal.

My question to you is do you hate christians and if so why? If not, then why are you so interested in spreading negative propaganda about them?

#9 dachuda86, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Poll would mean more of you could go back in time to Bill Clinton's term and ask the same question

Nook, JuanValdez, sirbaihu and 2 others like this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know that the Evangelicals would decry Clinton's moral depravity.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For a while I've noticed that there is a certain type of person who thinks the good guys are the good guys and the bad guys are the bad guys no matter what. It's fixed and immutable. If the good guys rape and murder, well it must be ok because they are the good guys. They are the ones wearing the white cowboy hat.

The truth is, the good guys are the good guys because at every opportunity to made a choice they prove they are the good guys. And the categories are fluid, with plenty of people in the space between.

My guess is, it is just easier and generates less cognitive dissonance to predetermine who is good and who is bad based on easy to identify external labels, as opposed to having to constantly evaluate and make difficult moral judgements. Life is easier if an elephant or a donkey can do your thinking for you. It's how an immoral scumbag can be a great president. You determine the solution you want and generate the problem by working backwards.

It's the same fundamental cognitive shortcut behind racism and sexism, and all the other -isms. It was a decent survival hack for a tribe of two dozen not-very-smart Australopithecine hominids on the plains of the Serengeti, but is the root cause of so much bad judgement in modern civilization.

#12 Ottomaton, Jun 16, 2019
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Of course they would. That is why this poll is essentially worthless. For the most part, polled democrats are OK with bad morals if Bill were President and the Evangelicals are aghast.Roles are reversed with Trump as President. Just as it is with most everything.

Nook, jcf and dachuda86 like this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Why? The two are vastly different. The one area of similarity - their sexual affairs isn’t a big deal to some people including me.

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The question doesn't exist in a vacuum. If you asked this in '96 people would would filter it through the public debate of immoral Bill Clinton and find the answer that suits their preferred outcome. Ask it in 2018 and it gets filtered through the public debate on immoral Donald Trump.

Nobody's going to choose an answer that would invalidate their preference on the current president and the question gets swallowed up by the context.

When asked this question, exactly nobody thought right away of the cronyism and corruption of Warren G. Harding, or the malicious crazy of Andrew Jackson. You think of the current context.

#15 Ottomaton, Jun 16, 2019
    RayRay10 likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

We are using polling data actually and the polling data explicitly shows that evangelicals care less about moral character of their leaders.

VooDooPope likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This. It's pure unadulterated tribalism.

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Critical thinking isn't his strength... best to just nod and walk away.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think there is a bit of a difference though between a 'Democrat' and an 'Evangelical' too.

I think these groups may have different ethical/moral standards in the first place.

A Democrat, for example, may find nothing wrong with sex workers while an Evangelical would like them to be banned. So it would then be a bit more hypocritical for an Evangelical to accept adultery than a Democrat, since the latter too is such a broad term.

I know plenty of Democrats that really don't care too much about Trump's sexual activity, they just use it to bludgeon the other side on their hypocrisy and will flatly say "I don't care who he's having sex with...but these people claim they do and now they don't care about it?"

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

sirbaihu likes this.