1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans withdraw pursuit of Nick Caserio

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Jun 14, 2019.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is embarrassing.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

When is he available? Immediately after this season?

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

After next year's draft.

4. Major

Major Member

[​IMG]

SWTsig, Mr. Clutch and Nook like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t see how anyone can have any degree of confidence in the Texans ownership and management. They are embarrassing.

mikol13, MadMax, AB423 and 4 others like this.
  6. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Why would it be after the draft, it should be after this upcoming season is over.
    It's not like we signed him to an offer sheet so there's a 1 year moratorium on trading him, or resigning 1 of our own players we traded away.

I also wonder how the dynamic with Caserio is going to work out in N.E.
    They know he wants/wanted to leave, so how will that play out in his working relationship with Belichick.

Would Caserio still sign with us next year if we don't hire a permanent GM this year?
    If we declined giving up a high draft pick to get him would that hurt his feelings?
    Or was that just the public story given (rather than the tampering charge being real)?

Could it be they agreed for Caserio to stay a set time so N.E. can plan their new strategy and then they will let him go and we can get him?

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Anyone that still defends this organization is a sheeple. The type of people that sell out NRG stadium to watch a substandard product.

SWTsig and Mr. Clutch like this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd imagine all scouting personnel naturally have contracts that end after the draft. It just makes sense.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I honestly hope the texan organization isn't seriously planning n waiting a year and then hiring Caresio... the move looks so desperate... and do we really think he is the only or best candidate for thye GM job here? Plus, waiting one year means other teams may become candidates for him, and the Patriots may be an even better place for him to stay (BB may retire).

And in that year, what happens here? We hire an interim GM? We promote someone for one year? Or worse, we have o'brien in both roles? This organization is running like homely junior high school kids dating.

Move on team... there have to be other people qualified (perhaps better qualified) to take over this franchise and turn things around.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  10. raining threes

Looks like this is what's going to happen.

What massage parlor did Kraft/Cal have this meeting at?

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Substandard? Really? You can say they have underperformed in the playoffs..........but really? 3 Division titles in last 4 years is not Substandard. Bucs, Lions, Jets, Dolphins, Cards, Bengals, Browns (last 20 years before 2018), all can be called "substandard". LOL.....Perspective.

12. raining threes

I would rather have a poor team that's building for the future rather than a mediocre team that's clueless and has no plan, which is where the Texans org is right now. I mean hell, they dont even have a GM how can they have a plan.

Clusterfvck

Nook likes this.
  13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Winning in the AFC South really means nothing if you dont do well in playoffs. Our oline is garbage, our stars r getting older and we arent improving via draft/free agency. We have a sht hc, no GM, but yes let's celebrate meaningless division titles. I rather we lose and rebuild than pretend to compete for the ring during regular season just to get blown out in playoffs.

One would argue making it into playoffs > not making it into playoffs. I disagree, All this does is we get a shttier draft pick when we eventually get blown out in playoffs.

Rn we r the equivalent of those shtty eastern NBA team that celebrates barely makin it for the participation award in playoffs. You would b delusional if u believe we are currently competitors for the ring.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Bullshit. It is MUCH harder to make the playoffs in the NFL. NO GM is not a big deal. They will eventually get one. Others in the organization can do the combined job. Not improving in the Draft? I guess u have watch the last 2. Hyperbole. Do the Texans' need to improve? Hell yes. Are they the Bucs, Bengals, etc....? Hell no.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Despite the fact that there is absolutely no evidence pointing to that? There is not a shred that even appears to remotely look like anyone holds O'Brien accountable for anything.

Nook likes this.
  16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And you have NO evidence to the contrary, do you? Cal McNair has been in charge, what, 7-8 months?

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/17/joe-douglas-new-york-jets-gm-general-manager-sam-darnold-christopher-johnson-adam-gase-woody-johnson

1. The Patriots/Texans showdown-that-never-was over Nick Caserio was interesting, and the fallout may not be finished. I’m told that the clause Caserio had in his contract that Texans owner Cal McNair referenced was one that prevented him from interviewing for jobs with other teams, and that term was secured as part of Caserio getting a raise somewhere along the line. What’s really interesting is that the Patriots have offered the same terms to others on the scouting side in the past to try to keep their staff in place. On one hand, it’s smart business to try to use leverage in a negotiation to establish continuity in a traditionally unstable industry. On the other, I can’t imagine it goes over great with someone like Caserio, who’s near the end of his deal and could view the Texans GM job as a unique opportunity for all the reasons we laid out last Monday. So why were the Patriots so hard-charging on this one? I don’t think there are issues between the Kraft and McNair families. I do, however, think there’s a little something there between the Patriots and new Houston EVP Jack Easterby, who left in the aftermath of Robert Kraft being charged in Florida and let it be known that was one reason why. And the resulting fallout to come? It will be interesting to see what Caserio does when his contract is up. And what the Texans do next.

2. While we’re there, my money right now would be on Houston moving into 2019 with Bill O’Brien leading the football operation, and director of player personnel Matt Bazirgan and director of college scouting James Liipfert heading up the personnel side and reporting to O’Brien. It may not be how the Texans drew it up, but this GM search was clearly a coordinated run at Caserio—the team interviewed ex-Browns GM Ray Farmer and ex-Lions GM/current Niners exec Martin Mayhew last weekend, then halted the process while it awaited permission on the top target. The Texans have to know it will be tough to find the right guy externally at this point in the calendar, especially considering perception of how the organization has handled it. It might make the most sense to go forward with the status quo, let Caserio’s contract expire, then try and hire him. Or call the Patriots back and offer a draft pick (I don’t think that’s happening, but it might be worth a shot if you’re McNair).

3. One more on the Texans: The team is vehemently denying the discrimination charges of ex-security coordinator Jeff Pope. Sources say Pope was fired for falsifying payroll documents, seeking overtime pay for hours he didn’t work. And those inside the organization have defended ex-GM Brian Gaine on this one, saying he doesn’t deserve this on his way out the door.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If we can somehow get him in before FA starts, I’d be okay with waiting it out. I just don't have faith in this front office to bring someone worthwhile at this point in time.

raining threes likes this.
  19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm hoping the Texans don't hire a new GM until next year. It's setting up perfectly for a terrible season that can get BOB fired with the harder schedule. It would be best to have the option of bringing in a new coach and GM together next year.

Nook, Blatz, Mr. Clutch and 1 other person like this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

MMQB

raining threes likes this.