1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mr trump Tells ABC News "It’s not an interference. They have information. I think I’d take it."

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Jun 13, 2019.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think the point here is if its debatable in the court of law, then its unlikely to be charged by a "reasonable" prosecutor. If Justin Trudeau has a call with Biden staffers about the North American Trade Agreement (whatever is replacing NAFTA), and its simply fact finding for Biden to use on trade policy speeches, I think Trump and co would ABSOLUTELY blow that out of proportion, and use collusion whataboutism....

BUT if in 2021 Special Counsel Rudy Guiliani indicts Simone Sanders (Biden aid) for this FEC violation, and names Biden as a co-conspirator, would the Jury in the court room all unanimously say Sanders is guilty???.... Or would it be a massive embarrassment for Guiliani?

That's really the way I look at it. That's why its baffling to me that the Republicans don't want to change the law to include it being illegal to not report foreign contacts in general. It's a way to make the law much clearer when presented to a jury. The question of intent and context is removed, and its simply... "Did he/she or did he/she NOT report this meeting?"

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

But yes I think anyone being objective would believe that "Dirt on Hillary Clinton" would be a "Thing of Value". Mueller even seemed to believe that in his report. He goes into detail (I think its page 185 if I recall) about his opinion of the law here. He clearly didn't charge, not because "Oppo Reseach" or "Dirt" isn't of value. He didn't charge because he couldn't prove to a jury that Trump Jr. and co were smart enough to know that it was a crime.

I take that as a warning shot for future campaigns since Mueller took this position. He seems to be making it clear that for a future candidate to do this, they would almost certainly need to be prosecuted since the Trump Jr. meeting was so public, and now that the FEC chairs, and others have made statements to sitting officials that this is clearly illegal. Nobody should be able to claim ignorance to a jury now moving forward.

quikkag likes this.
  3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe how so many of you have become so symbiotic with the world's dumbest man.

Rashmon, quikkag, Nook and 2 others like this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

according to sweet lou, taking dirt, advice, contact information, etc from any non-citizen is illegal if you don't report it to the FBI.

Utterly stupid. not to mention that Hillary actually paid a non-citizen to give her dirt on her opponent......

5. adoo

adoo Member

Tallanvor publicizing his ignorance

the Russians donated something of value to the Trump campaign, which they never reported to FEC

the Hillary campaign hired Fusion GPS, who had hired Michael Steele; the expenditure was reported to the FEC,
    the opposite of the Trump campaign, who never reported the hush $ paid to the p*rn actress and the playboy playmate​

also, upon learning the Trump campaign / Russian spy connection. Michael Steele immediately notified the FBI, who
    was provided a copy of the Steele dossier

#85 adoo, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    BaselineFade, quikkag and Deckard like this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can make up what I am saying all you want, that doesn't change the law

quikkag likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

If information is meant to influence an election - for example dirt on a candidate that if released may impact polls - that is a contribution. If Trump takes information about Clinton's emails when she is his political opponent, he has violated the law.

If Trudeau has a call with Biden staffers about NAFTA - and that they are going to reject NAFTA the day before the elections but only telling Biden - then that is a violation of the law since the information being provided is designed to help influence an American election.

If Trudeau has a call with Biden and talks about the pros and cons of NAFTA and different aspects of the agreement - then that is not a violation of the FEC laws around tampering in an election.

quikkag likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Dems should just get the Chinese to help them win elections to counterbalance Russian influence. Favorable trade deals in exchange for beating Republican candidates.

Since it's legal now according to Trump why not do it?

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Dude, go to the other thread and back up your claims about Iran. You are online and avoiding your own pro-war post.

You post fake news. I am calling you out. Sweet Lou 4 2 posted fake, pro-war assertions just yesterday.

I am calling out Sweet Lou 4 2.

#90 sirbaihu, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Astrodome likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Trump has already reversed his position and would 'absolutely' make a report to the FBI.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

"I don't stand by anything"

13. adoo

adoo Member

any link?

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

quikkag likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

don't know why folks are so threatened by opposing points of view

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Rick Santorum weighs in:

Rick Santorum mounts a linguistic defense of Trump's foreign election help comments to skeptical CNN panel
    June 13, 2019
    President Trump's statement that he would accept "oppo research" on a political opponent from a foreign government and would "maybe" tell the FBI was jarringto most observers, even if they found it in character for Trump. Longtime presidential adviser David Gergen told CNN's Anderson Cooper eh was "shocked but not surprised" by Trump's comments, adding that legally, Trump or anyone else in the government with a top security clearance, has "an affirmative obligation to call the FBI" if a foreign government, especially an adversarial one, "approaches you with information like this." In fact, he added, "it would be breaking the law not to call them."

Resident Trump supporter Rick Santorum pointed out that Trump said he would both "listen" to the opposition research from a foreign government and call the FBI, and when Gergen and Cooper noted that Trump said "maybe" and contradicted his FBI director's directive to alert authorities, Santorum called "maybe" just one of Trump's "filler words," said Trump's language is often "imprecise," and said he doesn't "think there's a crime in looking at the information as long as you refer it to the proper authorities."

Laura Coates, a former federal prosecutor and current CNN legal analyst, wasn't having it. Watch below.
    --Peter Weber

{include video at https://www.mediamatters.org/video/...s-confession-he-welcomes-election-help/223917}

https://theweek.com/speedreads/8469...gn-election-help-comments-skeptical-cnn-panel

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL... polling on this must be worse than expected... trump constantly moving the goalpost now, saying he will "likely" call the FBI. The correct and only position is "I won't take the meeting, and I will call the FBI".

Trump campaign says it will handle foreign intel offers on 'case by case basis'
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...l-handle-foreign-intel-offers-on-case-by-case

quikkag and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

ignorance like not knowing the difference between Christopher Steele and Micheal Steele?

what did the Russians donate to the trump campaign? Also I thought the whole stance of you people was that Trump was a Russian puppet. If 'it' (whatever that is) was donated then what does Trump owe Russia?

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That is the part that isn't "beyond a reasonable doubt" hence no recommendation of a criminal indictment. We do know objectively that the Trump campaign did seek out information illegally obtained by the Putin Regime when Don Jr accepted a meeting request via email with a subject line explicitly stating Russia's intention.

We just don't know what came of the meeting.

quikkag and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. adoo

adoo Member

u can't possibly be this stupid

u have to asked the dotard himself