1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

While I don't think that Yuli or Reddick will be traded during the season, isn't it more likely that they might be traded to a contender that has a need to fill rather than to a rebuilding team?

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yes. That was always my take. Reddick would be interesting to a team in contention who loses an OF and doesn’t have a replacement ready but needs quality MLB ready player.

3. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

What would it take to get Madison Bumgarner? He would be great to have during the post season.

I would trade any prospects except Whitney, Tucker, and Alvarez.

He's a free agent at the end of the year, so we might could get him for cheap.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Could go either way. Would need a contender that wants Reddick or Gurriel. I think it is slightly more likely Astros could find a rebuilding team wanting to buy a lottery ticket than a contending team that has a match. Either way, I think it depends on Astros having a need to move salary which probably won't be the case.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Bumgarner right now is a league average starting pitcher on the last year of his contract. Bumgarner could reasonably be expected to deliver 1 WAR for a half season, at a salary of $6 million. If 1 WAR has a free market value of $8 million, the trading team must give up $2 million in value for the trade to happen.

This is likely not a major prospect haul. Guessing 2 prospects in the 10-20 range would be enough, like Seth Beer (#9) and Tyler Ivey (#15).

6. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Bum and Smith or Boyd and Greene would be most excellent. Doubt those team package but man, that would be a great get.

8. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Last season the Dodger gave 5 lower tier prospects for the Manny rental, none of the prospects were in baseball's top 100 ratings. Right now the Giants are as to be excepted asking for top talent or they say they will keep him. I doubt he stays if SF, they have one of the worst farm systems.

Lunhow will pass until a reasonable trade can be made. For a rental it won't be anyone of high value. I'm sure they go for team control guys especially as bad as the top minor league arms have looked this season.

I think MadBum would be a nice fit with this staff. He's stuff has looked good from what I've seen and everyone knows he has the big game nuts. I really don't want to see him as a Yankee.

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

There is way more surplus value in Beer and Ivey than 2 million dollars. Think lower if you want to be rational with the trade value.

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not that I disagree with you, but Bumgarner is likely going to have an inflated trade value due to his history and star power. So even though he might only have $2M in surplus on paper, he will probably bring back closer to $10M. That said, Beer is easily worth $20M so I’d be very surprised if he were part of a trade for Bumgarner. Someone like Ivey (if healthy) might be in play.

11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Agreed. Beer is too much. Lunge is t getting that irrational.

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Well if the Astros had a deal in place sending JBB and Stubbs for Harper, I would think Bumgarner's value should be close to that, but I believe it will be a little more inflated because a lot of contenders need a starter.

13. Hemo_jr

Hemo_jr Member

In 2017, the Astros threw in Teoscar Hernandez to get Toronto to take Nori Aoki. I always thought this was so they wouldn't have to outright him, causing bad PR and disrupting the clubhouse. If White doesn't turn the corner soon, I wonder if they will do the same for him?

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Nope. If they can't trade White, he gets cut.

Nook and chievous minniefield like this.
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I have an exceptionally hard time seeing Beer worth $20M, though I do not doubt you.

One only has to look at AJ Reed to the see the boom to bust potential for top 10 prospects.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Or they traded Teoscar Hernandez for Francisco Liriano and forced Toronto to take Aoki to save a couple of million dollars it would have cost us to cut him.

We might still be able to get some very low level prospect for White, but they won't hesitate to waive him when the roster starts getting healthy.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros get:
    SP Trevor Bauer
    RP Brad Hand
    1B Carlos Santana
    C Roberto Perez

Indians get:
    SP Corbin Martin
    SP JB Bukauskas
    SP Cionel Perez
    OF Derek Fisher
    1B Yuli Gurriel
    OF Josh Reddick
    C Max Stassi
    P Framber Valdez

Astros fill all their needs in one trade without giving up any of their top 3 prospects or taking on too much salary. Indians get MLB ready prospects who can help next season and beyond, along with 2 veterans to deepen their paltry lineup this season and next. There’s some argument that this trade actually makes the Indians better both now and in the future. Main reason it won’t happen is that Bauer is a ****in prick and Houston wouldn’t risk him disrupting their culture. Otherwise this trade seems to make sense for both sides and the resulting roster is sick:

CF Springer
    LF Brantley
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    1B Santana
    C Chirinos
    RF Tucker

Bench: Diaz, Perez, Marisnick

Rotation: Verlander, Cole, Bauer, Miley, Peacock

Bullpen: McHugh, James, Devenski, Harris, Rondon, Hand, Pressly, Osuna

#337 Snake Diggit, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Wulaw Horn and Htown Legend like this.
  18. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Has something changed in Tucker's profile that leads us to believe he will have more success when he gets called up this year?

I thought he had a great season mashing in AAA ball last year before his disappointing stint in the majors. I'm all for giving young guys time to develop and grow, but if we are going for a WS this year we may not have that luxury. We might miss Reddick's respectable .773 OPS if we trade it away. Just sayin. I'm super stoked to see Tucker this year too fwiw.

19. CinematicFusion

I think if the Indians are in trade mode.....Astros will go after Brad Hand. We have needed a lefty and he would be a great one to bolster the back of the pin. Under control to 2021.

If we don't make a play at Cole....try and trade/work a extension for Bumgarner.
    We need a solid 1-2 for next year. We can't assume McCullers, Martin, James, Whitley, Bukauskas will be ready for prime time next year.
    We can't assume McHugh, Miley we be with us next year.

20. CinematicFusion

Aaron Judge struggled his first year up in 2016.
    .179 batting average, .263 OBP, struck out 42 times in 84 AB's.

2017 was a different story.... 52 Home Runs, .284 BA.

Tucker at 22 years old could still be great, sometimes it just takes time and familiarity to create comfort at the major league level.
    Might not have room for him this year though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.