1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Elizabeth Warren for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 1, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That Trinidad and Tobago team would beat every women's national team by a wide margin and is more developed than the vast majority of women's national soccer programs.

Like I've said before, due to how backwards underdeveloped regions can be with women's rights, there are far fewer well developed women's national teams.

The US women's national team is mainly benefiting from lesser competition.

There is a reason why American women dominate in international sports tournaments like the Olympics or the World Cup. It's because a large part of the world hasn't caught up with allowing women to excel in athletics.

I'm not trying to discredit the hard work these women put in. They are pioneers and shining beacon of women athletics and set an example for the rest of the world.

#541 fchowd0311, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. HTM

HTM Member

The ironic thing about the USWNT's push for greater pay/benefits/rights/equality is that they push the "We are so successful" line of attack but the reason they are so much better than the rest of the world is exactly because the United States has provided them with so many more advantages than other countries vis-a-vis womens sports. The United States is pretty much as progressive and forward thinking vis-a-vis womens sports as it gets in this world. The USWNT has benefited greatly from that.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I know some polls are better than no polls, but nearly half of all being undecided renders this polling pretty not very instructive, though Bernie at 6% is hardly a positive sign.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

another view:

Lack of interest in the women’s World Cup is not misogyny, it’s boredom. The version of soccer being played just is not compelling. That could change. A new form could be created for women, as has been created in other sports.

But for now, it just looks like smaller, weaker, slower players miming the beautiful game that men execute at miraculous levels. That’s not going to capture the imagination of the world. And we should stop pretending that it should.​

https://thefederalist.com/2019/06/13/im-sorry-the-womens-world-cup-is-basically-unwatchable/

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

HIllary had many plans, but no clear message, certainly one that wasn't drowned out.

Warren has a lot of plans - all around the central theme of inequality and how she comes not to bury capitalism (like bernie) but to save it from itself.

Rashmon and Hakeemtheking like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The point I've been trying to make for a long time. The label of not being electable becomes self-fulfilling. People should just vote for who they want and not worry about who is 'electable.' That actually makes a lot more people 'electable'. No matter who wins they will at least have a chance because Trump hasn't enlarged his base in any way, shape, or form.

8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I like Warren and respected Hillary's wonkish plans.

I just think the traits you or I might value can be turned sour by the opposition and an American willingness to celebrate Exceptional Mediocrity.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Warren is not bloodthirsty for Iran. +1

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

12. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Some good stuff in here. I agree with the Dem opponents that say she’ll eventually run into a wall, but I hope whoever wins the Dem nomination takes some notes on how Warren is connecting with people.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/07/warren-democrat-2020/594430/

Markos Moulitsas, the Kos in the Daily Kos and the man behind Netroots Nation, has been watching Warren from when she first started coming to the conference as a professor trying to get elected to the Senate. Now she’s consistently winning the Daily Kos presidential straw polls. “The wonkiness is attractive, particularly in contrast with the literal opposite coming out of the current White House. But if it was the wonkiness of Warren 10 years ago, I think it would be problematic, because it would be the whole ‘Democrats talk in long sentences’” thing, he told me.

In Milwaukee, I asked Mona Mustafa, a 56-year-old former paralegal who’s now waiting tables at Cracker Barrel in northern Illinois, whether she was a Warren Democrat. She paused. She’s a new Democrat, she said. Quietly, she told me that she’d voted for Trump in 2016, wowed by how “he does everything in public that Washington has been doing in private for two decades,” but that she hadn’t expected that he’d turn the federal government so much into what she called a subsidiary of the Trump Organization. “Donald Trump represents corporations to me,” Mustafa said. She likes that Warren helped create the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and doesn’t take PAC money in her campaign, and that’s just the start. She’s voting Warren “not because she’s a Democrat or Republican, but because of who she is.”

Like most of the Democrats running, Warren talks about 2020 in existential, generational terms. With what she’s tapping into so far, and what she’s seen, I ask Warren, is she worried Trump will win?

“Look, there are two ways to answer that,” she told me. “I think he won’t win. But I’ll worry about it every day until he has been packed up and sent to a Trump hotel on a distant island.”

B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. HTM

HTM Member

14. fchowd0311

Opinion piece written by Warren discussing a subject matter well within her area of expertise. She's making an argument that similar precursors to the 2008 crash are being witnessed today.

She was very accurate with her predictions with great detail before the 2008 crash as well.

Basically her argument is that our economic boom is unsustainably held by consumer and corporate debt at record levels.

I would appreciate it if Trump would write an opinion piece on this subject matter as well as he also is a subject matter expert in bankruptcy but in a different way than Warren.

B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Lol Dern u Liz! Tuition inflation is ur fault!

17. fchowd0311

Pretty good value for being in the top of her field (bankruptcy law).

She definitely deserved that salary vs D1 football coaches making 3 times that.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. VanityHalfBlack

She is a gilf. Yall seen her early photos when she in her 20s? Let me hit that son!

19. fchowd0311

Imagine being so racist towards Native Americans that they believe that all Native Americans have to do is check off that they are native American and boom they have a career as law proffessors at elite universities when also knowing that a large portion of native Americans live in poverty.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure why that is an ouch. The line of reasoning is always silly.