1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's exactly the kind of responses I would expect, assuming we get any. I'm guessing that it'll be ignored, unless it is a response I won't see because the member is on my ignore list. Why? Because there is no legitimate response in support of what trump said that would do anything other than make the trump supporter look as bad as trump does, and is. That dovetails with how you described his most ardent supporters, who will find an excuse for anything the "man" does.

The only thing I would disagree with you on would be that they are worse than trump. I think they are just as bad. They don't have a grip on the office of the presidency, though, so the "only" harm they accomplish is posting their idiocy in places like D&D. Someone like Trader_ J is simply a joke, of course. I don't take anything he posts seriously. I'm more disturbed by those who seem like they are intelligent enough to understand just what harm trump is doing to our country, but find excuses for trump no matter what he does. That bothers me a lot.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This one is a tough one, but I’m hopeful @Os Trigonum can find an alt view. Nothing against OS, but if there is one, os is the man to find it. Joking aside, I would be surprise if there is an alt view for this one.

dobro1229 and Deckard like this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So a law doesn’t already exists in the book for this? I think it does - it’s call the Constitution. But i guess it’s a bit outdated by now and with the current structural makeup of American and politic, it does need an explicit law.

Deckard likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah. The only reason I say worse is because, without support, Trump would be gone. A message would be sent to Politicians that these kinds of disgraceful shenanigans.

I expect politicians and fools to try horrible things, commit crimes, and put themselves first. I don't expect a large enough segment of the population to take it.

Amiga and Deckard like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So who thinks getting help from the Russians is OK? trumps hand picked ag...

Nook, B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The law states that it’s illegal to receive “anything of value” from a foreign entity. The folks who wrote that law probably made assumptions about foreign contacts and figured this law would be the best way to net nefarious contacts vs innocent contacts.

Mueller in his report clearly states though that he didn’t charge Don jr, Manafort, and Jarred because he couldn’t prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they knew it was a crime to a jury. So intent to commit a crime was important before the act.

Now moving forward, even without new legislation, I think this existing statute has more prosecutorial power if Trump and co. do this again... which we all know they will. Only they’ll think they can better blanket their communications since they can use the excuse of normal foreign policy... “we were just talking about Syria!” Or better yet, Trump destroying the notes from his interpreter in a closed door meeting with Putin himself.

Trump I’m sure will continue to play dumb and act like he still doesn’t know it’s a crime because of the reason Mueller didn’t prosecute.

Lastly... it’s truly terrifying to think that we have a sitting president who if he doesn’t win re-election is facing almost certain prosecution. He must do everything he can to win now. His freedom and the freedom of his family is on the line. That’s some 3rd world crap right there and we really have to be ready for anything. I doubt the country is truly ready for what he’s about to try and do to steal the election.

Deckard and Amiga like this.
  8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

So does that mean that the TDS crowd in Congress is going to try to impeach Trump then?

Even if the answer is no, this gives Trump dominance over the news agenda at least until the weekend.

LOL. Does he have these people's number, or what?

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

On the last point, what help is... he think he can pardon himself and of course his family. If he can't do that, he can resign on Nov 4th and have Pence pardon them. I understand that it doesn't apply to state, but hopefully it gives him a sense of a way out. And I'm perfectly fine that we move on and he disappear into history comes Nov 4th

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

11. dobro1229

I thought of that scenario as soon as I posted that. I think people need to be researching pre-emptive pardons. We have no idea what the DOJ in 2021 will investigate and potentially charge. I guess “acting” President Mike Pence Nov 5, 2020 could pardon the obstruction of justice criminal acts in the Mueller report, and the campaign finance violations, but if we assume Trump will break that law to try and get re-elected, I’m not sure how Pence could issue a blanket future pardon for any and all crimes prosecuted.

I dunno. We’ll see how it all works out but I still feel pretty strongly that Trump will prepared for the election like his life is on the line because I certainly looks like he’s a criminal and willing to break the law as many times as he has to in order to stay in power.

12. dobro1229

13. NewRoxFan

14. NewRoxFan

Shocked that an "independent" like you would defend such an offensive statement.

[​IMG]

FranchiseBlade and mdrowe00 like this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Did you ever make posts about Obama being devisive?

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's your response to this? Really? I thought you were a patriot. Guess I had it wrong.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Who responded? I must have someone on my ignore list that you don't have on yours.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

MojoMan. Guess I'm slowing down. This is his post:

Pretty bizarre, isn't it. He doesn't even pretend to make an effort to produce an intelligible response. I guess I should expand my ignore list to 51. Pretty sure it's at 50 now.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

That's funny. It won't even show his response in your post. Yes, he's one of about 5 on my ignore list. I feel by the responses I've seen that I didn't miss much.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No, you don't miss much at all. The problem I have is one I've mentioned before. Some of the trump trolls are fine talking basketball or in Hangout. They're just trolling here, though, unless they are really that stupid, always a possibility. I have 10 times the number on ignore that you have. Most for bigoted posts. I used to not use it all, but a few years ago, I wised up.