1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How the alt-right is radicalizing American youth

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Jun 8, 2019.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Saying that, which it was likely added to appease people, still doesn't change the fact that these people are being shown as the visual representation of the youtube rabbit hole that is oh so dangerous (please think of the children.. I mean ... 26 year old adult men who are just sooo impressionable.).

And I don't actual support Stephan because he doesn't back any of that garbage up, other than what he thinks is research showing IQ differences on a bell curve (I do support his right to free speech though, which I am sure you'll call racist). Your hateful mind automatically assumes I am some racist hateful person. At least I assume this because you throw such an assertion out there. But this is not surprising, considering how you respond to any view that isn't in line with yours.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Where is your proof that membership of these organizations has risen since Trump?

Why would someone go join a hate group due to his victory. You think someone who had reservations about joining now feels its okay?

People haven't become racists who weren't before because of an election. Its still not okay to go out and tell the world you hate minorities. Nothing has changed about that

#142 pgabriel, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yeah, you're a guy who can't even remember when you call people "anti-semite." Just rolls off the tongue for you? How often do you call people that anyway? Then I said I would punch you in the face if you said that to me in person? Just another day of name calling for ya?

You didn't give any commentary on the NYT piece, liar. Show what your commentary is in the OP, liar.

Wow: the article centers on one guy? Isn't that "anecdotal"?

Wait wait wait: the one guy who got "radicalized" is OK now? No harm done then? What's the definition of "radicalized," in your mind? Getting featured in the NYT?

From one American guy's story you jump to ISIS and Al-Qaeda.

You are a nothing but a mouthpiece for the NYT right now.

#144 sirbaihu, Jun 11, 2019
  5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

that article is just legacy media complaining they no longer have control of the narrative, so they are trying to pressure/shame anyone that gives a platform to their competition

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You know damn well you wouldn't want kids watching Stefan Molyneux videos, that's the whole point of the article.

You also didn't quote where the article made the assertion you said it made. So where is the quote from the article?

Also, again, history shows pretty well that people can be manipulated, if your argument is "People can't be manipulated" then that is rather naive.

Well, how you come to attack this article is a bit alarming since it isn't even attacking the right. It's attacking Youtube's algorithm system...which Youtube themselves says has a problem...yet you still deny it.

It's like every time someone wants to talk about minority groups facing hate you immediately swoop in to try to shut any conversation about it down.

The article is saying that someone can watch mainstream political videos and that youtube's algorithm can lead them to race war now videos. This is a problem.

You guys are so partisan that you missed the non-partisan point the article made...either because you didn't read it or you are so blinded by "MY TEAM! MUST DEFEND MY TEAM!"

The article even says that the man is now in a left-wing rabbithole, but again, I'm not sure many people actually read the thing which is sad because it is addressing a truth.

#146 JayGoogle, Jun 11, 2019
  7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Recap of the **** published by the NYT:

Mr. Cain was a liberal! A liberal did this ****.
    "as a liberal college dropout struggling to find his place in the world, he had gotten sucked into a vortex of far-right politics on YouTube."
    This liberal watched lots of alt-right videos that were racist and disgusting. He started calling himself "tradcon" and dated an evangelical Christian. His friend Zelda Wait said "It was kinda sad."

Then, while consuming alt-right videos, the former liberal saw a debate and became a liberal again! (Through his consumption of alt-right videos.)

Now, this liberal has started an alt-YouTube, which "hijacks" YouTube's algorithms, for the same audience as before!
    "The core of BreadTube’s strategy is a kind of algorithmic hijacking. By talking about many of the same topics that far-right creators do — and, in some cases, by responding directly to their videos — left-wing YouTubers are able to get their videos recommended to the same audience."​

So the liberal dude watched some alt-right videos, and he is still a liberal now, but now he uses the same algorithms as YouTube, to reach the same audience as YouTube, but his heart is the right place now (I mean the left place).

#147 sirbaihu, Jun 11, 2019
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just quoted you numbers of the rise in hate groups since Trump's election.

Trump makes racist feel empowered - there is no doubt about that. He uses the language of the alt-right and copies language from this group - you could accuse him of plagiarism, but they are all too happy to have their champion to complain.

Not sure why you feel that's ok.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Interesting that she deleted two of the videos that were referenced on the NYTimes and the other one was an Alex Jones/Info Wars video - seems like she is a conspiracy theorist and some kind of Syrian Nationalist.

Not surprised you would come to the defense of the alt-right though.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But the article never says that his heart is now in the right place. In fact, the conclusion it seems to take is that maybe this particular person should get out more and even says that he went from a right wing rabbit hole to a left wing one.

"Near the end of our interview, I told Mr. Cain that I found it odd that he had successfully climbed out of a right-wing YouTube rabbit hole, only to jump into a left-wing YouTube rabbit hole. I asked if he had considered cutting back on his video intake altogether, and rebuild some of his offline relationships."

But people on the right have made this a partisan issue, so who cares if young people are directed to race war now videos. It seems some people are fine with that.

Sweet Lou 4 2 and fchowd0311 like this.
  11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yes, very good point. Still, I'm feeling the bias when the author considers calling yourself "tradcon" and dating an evangelical Christian to be part of a downward spiral. I don't consider that "kinda sad." Christian girls can be hot and very kinky (thinking up ways to remain a virgin).

To your point: yes the racism online is terrible! But if we seek a remedy for that, we should make our society smart enough not to be converted by videos. Raise your hand if your child will turn into a racist because of YouTube videos. Dude in the NYT piece did not become racist after watching countless racist videos.

America has an extremely strong tradition of censoring black people. I think that censoring black people was essential to maintaining the institution of slavery, for example. So I feel very very very hesitant when I start feeling like I know whose mouth I should gag. I'll just try to give kids strong minds instead of stuffing socks into people's mouths.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is one the dumber "guilt by association" hit pieces I have ever seen.

jcf and Nook like this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The Kinda sad thing came from his friend. I'm guessing his friend found his youtube addiction 'kinda sad' in general.

But the point of the article wasn't about banning or censorship, just that youtube leads down a rabbithole. Once you get into conspiracy theories the conspiracy theorist 101 is to tell its followers "Don't trust em."

Flat Earthers tell you that NASA can't be trusted. Anti-vaxxer tell you medical science can't be trusted. White nationalists tell you no one can be trusted...except for them. All these kids that have gone to the alt-right or have been radicalized received an American education and I doubt their schools taught them about Race/IQ and the benefits of Ethnostates...yet that's what they preach.

You can't fight conspiracy theories with more knowledge because these theories seek to replace the knowledge itself. This is why you never really get scientist debating conspiracy theories, you can't debate them.

Really all the article is asking for, or what it finds is a problem, is that youtube's algorithm can direct people to these videos.

I will continue to stress that this is an issue that Youtube itself has recognized.
    https://youtube.googleblog.com/2019/01/continuing-our-work-to-improve.html

This isn't about kicking people off the platform...just that if you watch a Jimmy Kimmel video you aren't then directed to a race war now video or on the flip side a video about how vaccinations are bad. That's all this article is really about.

superfob and mdrowe00 like this.
  14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You seem to feel there is some entity that can recognize the truth or falsehood of every video.
    So, you see this thing called a "rabbithole" open on YouTube, and then people go down it and "Don't trust em" anymore. Should we trust em? Who are em? Trust em on everything? Public Enemy said "Can't Truss It." Rabbithole?

"Conspiracy theories": those are the things that you think are false and a minority of people think are true? Is it all about majority rule then?

Why do you stress what YouTube is saying? Is YouTube cool or anything?

BruceAndre likes this.
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This thread is about YouTube

Now you wanna argue about hate crimes and Trump and we have had this argument. The numbers are increasing because morr law enforcement agencies are reporting hate crimes whp werent prior to 2017

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, there is. The entity is science. To say otherwise is to say that there isn't truths or falsehoods.

Do vaccines get rid of deadly disease? That's a yes or no thing.

Is the Earth flat? That's a yes or no thing.

Right?

No, conspiracy theories have nothing to do with if the majority believe in them, although sometimes the majority can adopt a falsehood. So there are various types of these theories, the ones I mentioned above are more about science.

The ones that are not objective science are political. These are the 'Race war' now videos. The videos that tell people that Muslims and ((THEM)) have some big plot to wipe white people off of the planet and it is time to do something about it. Do you think that these are videos that the youth should stumble into? That worked out well for Dylan Roof, didn't it and the synagogue shooter...both of them believed the same theories about white genocide...and the NZ shooter as well.

Also, I stress it because the counter-argument in this thread seems to have been "This is false," in that the algorithm doesn't work this way. Youtube themselves say it does and that it is something they are trying to fix. So this isn't really up to debate for me. This is how the algorithm works. I know it personally works this way because I get suggested these videos. I know it works this way because Youtube has admitted it does. This part of the discussion shouldn't be up for debate. The article is correct on this.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's relevant because you are saying these Youtube videos from the alt-right are not impacting the level of hate.

It's not just hate crimes on the rise, but the total number of hate groups have increased by 30%. You can only keep coming up with rationalizations for so long before you have to admit the truth. It's like the climate debate.

18. biff17

biff17 Member

Also as the poster probably did not.

JayGoogle likes this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What is your source on the 30% increase in the groups

20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Are there only two genders? Hmmmmm......