1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeAndre Hunter, made for today's NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, May 21, 2019.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The Rockets don't have much time for rookies these days, but I would love to get this guy on Houston.

Very good size (6'7)
    Terrific wingspan (7'0)
    Not a baby, NBA body already
    High-level defender
    Can attack the basket
    Good shooter (43.8% 3P!) and terrific in catch-and-shoot situations
    Ideal in a switching defense

If there was any way to convince the Lakers to trade #4 for Eric Gordon, I would do it (and I LOVE Gordon). I think Hunter would be perfect with the Rockets.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I feel like we'd be overvaluing EG too much to expect a #4 overall pick....

Unless the Lakers are desperate to trade off some youth for veteran guard experience, to potentially vault them into win-now mode.

And if that's the case people will probably question why we're trading away our (arguably) 3rd best player for the same youth potential. I'd love to have Hunter on the Rockets but I can't see that happening with the way our roster is currently constructed. Hunter would be hard pressed to replace EG's production immediately as would the rest of our roster.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I 100% agree with this sentiment about EG's value, that the 4th pick is probably too high, but I think the Lakers are unique in that they are desperate to start winning now given Lebron's closing window. Having said that, I'm sure they're looking to package that pick for a bigger fish than Gordon.

FLASH21 and whiskeyred like this.
  4. basketballholic

We could possibly sign a replacement vet (like Rivers) in this scenario and them get a minimum vet as well while also maintaining a nice TPE for moving EGo for a pick.

I'm thinking a similar type deal for Capela to Sacramento for some seconds and Frank Mason while using Ego for a trade, possibly even a sign and trade.

Don't think Lakers give up #4 for ego.

But Capela for several seconds plus a 14.8 TPE and maybe Mason could be doable. We could then use the seconds to entice teams to sign and trade smaller salary players to us using our smaller trade exceptions. Which hard caps us but leaves us the full TPE and BAE as well.

#4 basketballholic, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    PhiSlamma15 and BigShasta like this.
  5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I wanted to move CP3, EGo and Capela for the #4 and Lonzo, draft Hunter or Garland and flip Lonzo elsewhere but even then I think we're not offering enough.

6. Sanity2disChaos

CP3 to the Lakers tho?

7. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Fakers are desperate, and will be even more-so after they whiff on AD, Beal, Butler, Klay, KD, etc etc etc

8. Sanity2disChaos

I’m kinda with it!! But I don’t see them wanting to give up anything worth a damn for him (unless Bron pushes it forward)but considering his contract they would have to.

BigggReddd likes this.
  9. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

If you let them keep Lonzo and we match salaries somehow I can't see how it's not atleast a little appealing to the Lakers. Pelinka & LeBron might be a really dumb duo in terms of FO IQ.

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Lakers wanted Capela in the past.....

11. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

I like Hunter, a lot. He's a man, not a boy. Does not cower in big moments.

Also from UVa, I like Ty Jerome, but he makes me nervous a bit- he may not be athletic enough to keep possession as he plays his game.
    Jerome reminds me a bit of Jason Kidd.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm just speculating about this of course, but I forgot that Pelinka used to represent Eric Gordon.

13. basketballholic

Offensive skills, body, and athleticism remind me of a young Wilson Chandler. Defensively though, Hunter has more potential.

What about EGo and Capela and 2 picks in a 3 way with the Nets where we get back Crabbe and Lakers get the Nets pick? We send Nets Nene and Frazier and they SnT Ed Davis to us for 3/20 partially guaranteed.

That would be tempting.

Harden, Paul, PJ, Davis/Harty, Hunter, Clark, Chiozza,

Around $96 million cap plus Full MLE plus BAE plus 14.8 million TPE....

IF Butler deal doesn't go down predraft... and the Lakers strike out in free agency... tempting.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I really, really want to know if the Lakers pass on Hunter at 4. In that instance, I'm shopping Capela or EG hard to get this guy. I know that's not likely, but I think he would fit incredibly well here. He's not an AAU baby needing to be a megastar, but he has ideal tools to fit in Houston's system. He could possibly help tremendously with the Draymond Green issue.

BigggReddd likes this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

I wonder if this is the guy they'll draft eventually, if they don't make a big trade i guess they'll be fine with keeping Kuzma as the 4, all things considered it always looked like he's the guy they like more, Ingram and especially Lonzo always looked more expendable so, they might prefer to pick a player in one of those spots over another 3/4.

The Cavs have the 5th pick btw, might not be impossible to trade with them, they could actually put together Capela, Love, Gordon, Sexton...but i don't know if they would be fine with this kind of move or if they want to deal Love no matter what and continue with a full rebuild.

snowconeman22 and Clutch like this.