1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans fire GM Brian Gaine

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Honestly I thought that pick was the kind of pick that GMs get fired for. Obviously we won’t know for a year or two, but I don’t think there’s any doubt he got beat in round 1 and reached badly for position. I thought that was a red flag.

I also hated our free agency this year. We needed to have a good free agency; we had the resources, and we blew it. The o-line wasnt really addressed and the secondary got worse. It was really bad. I don’t fault him for playing hardball with Clowney but I do wish he had either traded him or signed him. No added passrush in the off-season is head scratcher too.

But I’m shocked by this. Does not reflect well on the org. Wtf?

#241 Aruba77, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    raining threes, Commodore and Nook like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If you're "build through the draft", you don't waste first round picks on projects.

If you judge a GM by what his main roles are (free agency, draft), there was no reason for Gaine to get a vote of confidence after this off season.

Those criticizing the move would criticize the Texans regardless... saying they're too gutless to get a more competent GM if he stayed, and now that they're too reactionary getting rid of a GM only after 1 year.

Rudyc281 and persian hoopa like this.
  3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

What if this draft class ends up having two pro bowlers or something? We never even got to see how bad they are.

4. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

I’m all for accountability and that’s why this move concerns me. The damage has been done with this offseason with the mishandled draft and free agency. You go with the decision makers that got you there and ride with it. This is a decision you make in January, absent some kind of extenuating non-football circumstance (HR/legal issue/etc) which we’re told was not at play here.

The Texans rightly see that this season is going to be a colossal failure, and hence make this unusually timed move to try and do some damage control. What that tells me is that Gaine will be the scapegoat and most if not everyone else escapes accountability when the 2019 season is over. Hope I’m wrong but that’s really what this feels like to me.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wishful thinking... dreamers... Texans fans since 2002.

I think lack of free agency PLUS a questionable draft did this to him (if it was a football decision). If they addressed the line in free agency, you can wait a few years on draft projects. They didn't do that.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why do you have to "ride with it"??

And if the draft played a role in this decision, along with free agency, why give him even more opportunity to make questionable decisions?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I thought he drafted well last year, and I liked his draft this year except I thought the first round was a disaster. I thought free agency was a disaster. And he made no trades to make the team better (hello Duke Johnson).

I’m glad he’s gone, but I think the Texans look like a bad organization right now. The fact that BOB married this guy a year ago and is now good with dumping him absolutely calls into question his judgement. The org is completely whacked right now.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It puts everybody on notice... but isn't the "free pass" mentality that the Texans have had for years also a reason to criticize them?

Can't have it both ways. Teams that fire GM's a year after going 11-5 hopefully recognize that if one person isn't getting their job done well enough, they're replaceable.

Also, does anybody here really think Gaine isn't replaceable? Seems like pseudo-fake outrage.

NotInMyHouse, Rudyc281 and Blatz like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Depends on who is really making free agent and draft decisions. Is it Gaine or O’Brien.

pugsly8422 likes this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

On the contrary, firing the newest guy tells the old guys they are safe.

vinsensual and Nook like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

...and he offered her a raise in the middle of it.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm surprised you don't know...

And if the GM really doesn't matter, who the hell cares then?

I do think Gaine was driving the ship both for the draft and free agency. There is not much evidence to refute that based on his communication, conferences, and comments.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who are the "guys"?

Firing anybody after one year shouldn't inspire a "safe" mindset.

14. Nook

Nook Member

You aren’t a very good diddler if you have to increase her pay for continued diddling. Then again using company money is better than cashing out your 401K for serious diddling.

raining threes likes this.
  15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

It was actually the cleaning lady....

16. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Schefter reporting Texans will look to be Patriots for new GM (Caserio who they requested interview with before hiring Gaine?). Also, Schefter reports Easterby's star has risen inside Texans' organization.

Rudyc281 and UTSA2step like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Not to be a know-it-all, but

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Boo freaking Hoo! Do you know how many people wish they were on that list?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Yeah. You’re right. I was doing a different bit.