1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Mount Rushmore

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, May 23, 2019.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Er... have to disagree with a good amount of this...

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/mlb-m..._medium=cpc&utm_source=fac&utm_content=604552

My list: Biggio, Altuve, Oswalt, and Springer

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Bagwell, Nolan, Altuve, Wynne

3. SemisolidSnake

Bagwell, Biggio/Oswalt, Altuve, Astrodome

raining threes and Astrodome like this.
  4. mick fry

mick fry Member

Biggio, Bagwell, Ryan, Oswalt. Honorable mention Thon,Cruz and Richard.

gatsby likes this.
  5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Seconded.

mick fry likes this.
  6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Bagwell, Biggio, Altuve, Oswalt...... in that order, although Jose could be argued #2 already.

Berkman and Wynn are next.

Ryan didn't play here long enough.

Altuve has opportunity to pass Bags.

#6 Houstunna, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Tomstro likes this.
  7. awc713

awc713 Member

5, 7, 27, 34

8. Houstunna

Supporting Member

You disagree with Bagwell's potential steroid-use, yet denounce his Top 4 franchise status ?!! Makes no sense.

Bagwell's only true knocks are 1) potential steroid-use (something Craig has too.. and a player you named Top 4) and 2) playoff performance (something Craig also suffers).

Besides that, Bagwell is one of the greatest phenoms the league has ever seen. The hitting is obvious, but other than that, his defense and baserunning have never been seen in league history from a 1B.

9. lnchan

I am probably weighing postseason performance more than most... But a NLCS MVP and 2nd in franchise wins can't be omitted (still baffling how Reynolds is recognized in the Astros HOF first) and neither can a World Series MVP (although Springer was my bubble guy out of the set, but Bags against the Braves in the 90s was traumatizing). Biggio is a lock with being the first HOFer with an Astros cap while being a key piece in 2005 plus the longevity, and only one that has acccused Biggio of anything is Chass Murray. Altuve has a ring and a MVP. Dierk maybe for his time as manager as well as player... He's the Astros version of Rudy T. I'll have Nolan ahead of him though. Both ahead of Wags...

10. Game7

Game7 Member

Bagwell and Biggio are locks IMO. Maybe because I grew up watching them and remember Bagwell’s rookie year. The other 2 are open to interpretation but Altuve is a deserving pick. Oswalt would probably be next for me. I am showing my age. Lots of older guys deserve to be mentioned here and lots of newer guys haven’t proved enough/haven’t been around long enough.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Biggio and Bagwell are locks as of this second. Anything else is nonsense. You can’t ding them on speculation of steroids because of the era they played in. Nothing would surprise me and they both may have used but known users aren’t calling them out and they aren’t listed in any reports. So what the **** are we doing here? How do I know Frank Thomas didn’t use something? Griffey? Where does this stop? So yeah both should have been first ballot hall of famers and are inarguably the top 2 players in franchise history.... for the time being.

Dirt Road, arkoe and Houstunna like this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Jeff Bagwell is so far and away this franchises greatest player even if he never played a postseason game there wouldn't be an argument. It's comically absurd to actually have a list that doesn't have him at 1, much less not in the top 4. We don't have a postseason to fail in if not for Bagwell.

When he finally didn't have to face dominant pitchers in almost every game Bagwell was great in the 01 and 04 postseasons (.304 and .909 OPS) before his shoulder finally fell off in 05.(He had no business on that playoff roster)

13. awc713

awc713 Member

If you don’t have Jeffrey Robert Bagwell on your Astros Mt. Rushmore.......I just don’t know what to tell you. You need to get some help.

His playoff sample is far too small for any meaningful analysis. Really to no fault of his own, either. I mean...look at Trout. McLane didn’t exactly help Bagwell out for his first decade. By the time we were getting to the playoffs with more regularity, he was either playing on one shoulder or on teams not equipped for long runs. Sidenote, shoutout to his 9th inning game tying single in 04 at Busch Stadium.

I will not tolerate any Jeffrey Robert Bagwell slander here. He is without a doubt a top 4 player in our franchise. Pay homage to greatness.

14. msn

msn Member

As others have said, Bagwell is number 1. Biggio is number 2. Everything else has some more reasonable debate.

These newer guys need more tenure before they unseat Bagwell and Biggio. That ring is super special, no doubt, but you can't have less than a decade of tenure and unseat our Hall of Famers.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

To be fair, Ryan was an Astro for 9 full seasons. Oswalt was an Astro for 9.5 seasons. Altuve is in his 9th total season (only played 57 games in his first).

arkoe and Astrodome like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Just tell 'em they're a dumbass.

gatsby, whiskeyred, arkoe and 3 others like this.
  17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Yeah, I'd researched his stats after posting and before seeing this post. Ryan put in work. Was thinking he'd only played 5-6 seasons.

Astrodome likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Decade? Bagwell and Biggio put up long careers, but they are tops because of their peak performance. Bagwell's peak performance over a 6 year period is going to be tough to top. Biggio...Altuve came pretty close to Biggio's 4-year period peak. Bregman, if he plays another 2.5 years like he has the past 1.5, he'll pass Biggio's peak by a decent margin and have at least 1 ring. I'll take ring and peak performance over longevity even if Bregman only would have 6 years at that point.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

20. lnchan

In my defense, I still have Bagwell in my top 8. (Of the current core, I actually think Springer has the lowest remaining ceiling.) The more I think about it Dierker deserves a slot just as much Tomjanovich will be in the Rockets top 4 not just for his playing days.

All-time WAR
    Position Players
    1. Jeff Bagwell 79.9
    2. Craig Biggio 65.5
    3. Jose Cruz 51.4
    4. Cesar Cedeno 49.6
    5. Lance Berkman 48.2
    6. Jim Wynn 41.6
    7. Jose Altuve 35.1
    8. Joe Morgan 30.7
    9. Bill Doran 30.5
    10. Terry Puhl 28.5

Pitchers
    WAR for Pitchers †
    1. Roy Oswalt 45.8
    2. Larry Dierker 34.3
    3. Don Wilson 27.5
    4. Nolan Ryan 25.4
    5. Mike Scott 24.8
    6. Joe Niekro 23.0
    7. J.R. Richard 21.5
    8. Shane Reynolds 19.1
    9. Ken Forsch 19.0
    10. Dallas Keuchel 18.5

Still how the franchise recognized Reynolds before Oswalt is the real crime.