1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buck Turgidson

Like I said before, you could just look up. I can't help you any more than that, outside of tattooing **** on you...possibly a map?

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Yeah bro. Link them for me...

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Thanks. Jul 10th Stassi gets dressed down by JV on the mound. Looks like Stassi caught 3 more games for JV after this date since McCann was hurt, and then Maldonado was acquired on July 26. Then Stassi has no more JV games.

Thanks for the insults you angry old man.

#144 The Real Shady, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Love ya, kid. Stassi sucks. Big Smile!

6. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if Cleveland is out of the payoff mix in July, would they be willing to trade a starting pitcher. Is there too much bad blood for them to acquire Tyler?

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

They probably send him to the NL and Padres were in on him before the season. That would be my guess where he would end up.

8. prospecthugger

I don't think Navaez or Alfaro are available for reasonable sums, given their control and the fact that their teams went out of their way to acquire them in the offseason. Hedges probably isn't available for pennies either. Lucroy or Maldonado should be at the deadline, but I'm not sure either are really worth ditching Stassi for.

9. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mike Minor will most likely get moved too.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros have more than pennies in the bank at the moment. With Bregman, and Verlander extensions, Diaz trade, and Alvarez's accent from great hitting prospect to almost can't miss prospect, the Astros ability to trade prospects is incredible.

11. HTown2017Champs

Gotta double dip with SP. Dream scenario:
    HOU Gets
    LHP Matt Boyd

DET Gets
    IF Jack Mayfield
    OF Derek Fisher
    Josh James/Framber Valdez/Cy Sneed

HOU Gets
    RHP Sonny Gray

CIN Gets:
    OF Drew Ferguson
    3B Abraham Toro
    RHP Forrest Whitley

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Mayfield, Sneed, and Ferguson have no trade value. James and Fisher is a good start for Boyd but they’d probably require one more 2nd or 3rd tier prospect like Valdez.

Whitley for Gray would be a massive overpay.

13. Buck Turgidson

Insanity on Gray.

I still don't understand why people are in love with Boyd. He's ok, and would immediately be our 5th best starter. Maybe 4th above Peacock.

Nook, mikol13, awc713 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agreed. Insanity on both. I'd rather have James or Valdez starting than Boyd. I think Peacock is better than Boyd. No way you give up on Whitley, especially not for Gray.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Did you mean Jon Gray? ...

16. awc713

awc713 Member

Good read, and really intriguing idea. Scherzer is 34 and on the hook for 2.5 more seasons at a not atrocious rate. Absolutely beautiful 1-2 after we let Cole walk, and with our lineup? My god. People were falling in love with Harper in our lineup, but Scherzer may be the better fit (and at a much more reasonable acquisition cost).

We have the prospect capitol to pull it off, too. I mean, this is our window. I trust Jeff's ability to restock the farm, even with the losses of our front office. Some combo of Tucker/Whitley/Martin/Alvarez/Toro/JB/James/Beer/Nova/Valdez and lower level pieces should work. I'm not suggesting to sell the entire farm, but we have pieces to work with. And WAS needs a large influx of young talent at this point. Payroll is going to be tight moving forward--would love to have Springer and Correa as Stros for life...but adding Scherzer to this team would just be another level.

#156 awc713, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Htown Legend likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He’s going to have $90M/2.5yrs on his contract. There’s probably less than $30M in surplus value there. So what kind of prospect package going back to Washington would depend on how much money they eat. I don’t think Houston would take on more than half. Adding Scherzer at ~$18M/yr would still leave room to extend one of Springer or Correa (imho). To get Washington to eat $40M would require ~$60M worth of prospects. That would mean a package of one of Whitley/Tucker/Alvarez, 2 of James/Fisher/Martin/Bukauskas, and probably another 3rd tier prospect (somebody like Toro, Framber, C Perez, etc.).

18. Nook

Nook Member

LOL How old do you think he is? He isn’t Don Rickles.

19. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Not sure if you read the article or know all the details of his contract but there is no way the Nats eats part of the contract. Apparently after his contract, they owe him another $105 mil from 2022 to 2028. If a team(well owner since it wouldn't count towards the cap??) is stupid enough to pick that up for them, sure the Nats will eat part of his contract for the next 2 years. But I'm sure teams would rather pay his full contract that's remaining and let the Nats deal with the deferred money.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I ignored the deferred money because of course it’s assumed the Nats will still pay that. Deferred money is to the team’s advantage. Not sure where you’re getting the “no way Nats eat part of his contract”. Money is money, value is value. Bottom line is that if the Nats won’t eat some remaining contract then Houston can’t afford to trade for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.