1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. AstrosRockets1818

I rewatched Season 1.1 and 1.2 last night. Man they were good then lol. When Jon says bye to Arya and gives her needle. Almost cried.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Stuff like this is why they couldn't necessarily drag it on for 10 seasons. These actors have already devoted a good chunk of their lives to making the series... that is somewhere between a normal TV series and a movie trilogy.

If anything, the time commitment is far more than 3-4 movies.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Think that both Martin and the Directors used up all their good stuff. It's that simple. They ran out of oil, but that doesn't mean that somebody can't use what you drilled for a long time and do some great stuff. Hand it off. Let people go crazy with it, and a few great ideas will emerge.

Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They can always replace Grey Worm-- did it to the Mountain. Or kills his ass off in the Grey Wedding.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This last season for sure.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

and it would still be an improvement over the flat attempts at humor written into the final episode.

The Real Shady likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

How hard would it have been for Bran to have some sort of monologue at the very end tying up things?

It would have been so much better to have Bran revealed to be like an uber LIttlefinger in an ending monologue, contrasting his long game power grab to Dany's powerful dragons and how everything played out at as planned.

Imagine if it ended with "chaos is a ladder"?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

"Chaos is a ramp"

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It may not have ended like I wanted but I still sit back in amazement at the 3rd episode...it's fantastic work from a visually standpoint. Now just waiting for The Long Night and Westworld...

FranchiseBlade and daywalker02 like this.
  10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nnedi Okorafor

She is an Author to watch

Rocket River

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Anyone watch “the last watch”?

I’m only about 20 minutes into the two hour show, but the table read part is pretty cool. You get to see the reactions of some of the actors as they learn what is going to happen for the first time.

We all know what it has taken to make a show such as GOT, but some of what I’m seeing has made me respect it that much more. An incredible amount of work and prep goes into it before actual filming. It’s quite remarkable.

#2332 mikol13, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    BigM, daywalker02 and B-Bob like this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Thanks for the heads up. Kit Harrington crying when he learns he kills Dany gave me the feels. This may be better than season 8.

Andre0087, mikol13 and B-Bob like this.
  14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah those are the parts of this that I got the most out of. Even the extra that they highlighted was in tears.

Looks like the actors didn’t really want to let go. My guess is the series could have run longer and that’s a bit upsetting. Selfishly feel like we were all a bit screwed.

mario_v and BigM like this.
  15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Yup by all accounts the cast and HBO would have put in more work. I don’t hate the last season but I do feel that they could have passed the baton to another group of writers if they were burned out with GOT. But I’m also sure they thought they ended it well. Either way I’d still rank it as my favorite television series of all time - non comedy genre.

FranchiseBlade and mikol13 like this.
  16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will just give my thoughts on the last episode. I've watched it twice now.

It was an amazing and fantastic epilogue.

It was a poor, non-dramatic, and anticlimactic series finale that let the series down.

I don't know if we should still not spoiler things so I will try and avoid it. But the scene that should have had the most drama was just done. There was very little build up, no question about whether the action would be successful or not, it just happened. There were at least half a dozen other more dramatic ways to deal with that.

The episode did change my favorite character from who it had been for most of the series to Sansa. Her story and her character's growth and the way it was presented just sunk home with me. I thought that was really cool.

The writers did wrap up almost all of the biggest questions. I think that's why it was a great Epilogue but not a great series finale. I like where all of the characters ended up as far as it made sense. And while that sounds like it would be easy, I don't think it would be in series that had such deep and involved stories for all of the characters.

I still love the series and won't write it off because of a sub-par final episode. It was one of my favorites of all time if not my favorite.

Deckard, daywalker02, Sajan and 2 others like this.
  17. Sajan

Sajan Member

Well when you build up the entire series to be about someone being crowned king/queen...and you end the show like that...it's hard to recommend the series. The show is forever tainted by the rightful backlash it received for the finale.

It's not like The Office or Law Order where you could take out an entire season and it wouldn't change the show that much.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I see what you're saying. It's just that all of the twists, turns, intrigue, action, and that many characters that were all that multi-dimensional and complicated don't seem all ruined because they presented the end in such a lackluster fashion.

19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Thought this was hilarious...

DCkid, TheresTheDagger, B-Bob and 3 others like this.
  20. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

"nah, I'm with my boys!"
    [​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.