1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Texas Summer]Radiant Barrier Foil

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, May 21, 2019.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice man!! Let us know how it goes

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Why don't you buy the spray instead? I can imagine it being easier

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Sounds like a nightmare to me. Exposing myself to aerosol spay not to mention all that getting into the HVAC system and circulating around the whole house sounds awful. Also, ensuring you get an even coat doesn't sound easy.

Stapling foil up literally takes minutes and I'm sure it much more effective. The air gap you create between the roof deck and bottom on the joists with the foil is key which you don't get with the spray. Just my initial impression.

cheke64 likes this.
  4. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

The the number one thing you can do to make a house more energy efficient (more than new windows, better insulation, or whatever else) is to get all the ductwork into the conditioned space. In most cases that means a totally sealed attic. The radiant barrier will not do that, but will help.

5. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

A new AC will be probably pull less electricity than your old one, but it doesn’t have anything to do with the newer refrigerant being better.

CCity Zero likes this.
  6. Rockets007

Rockets007 Contributing Member

You should check your electric bill to check what rate you are paying. Then go to powertochoose.org and see if you can get something lower. That will help lower your electric bill in addition to the radiant barrier!

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I was under the impression that spray liner was pretty expensive.

8. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

From what I've researched, that spray liner is best done by professionals as it has to be done just right. I can imagine that it gets pricey.

I don't mind the manual labor of stapling rolls up in the attic, and I got all the materials I need for less than $150.00.

Rocket River likes this.
  9. Falcons Talon

I believe we just got a rate reduction within a year ago. I will look into that a compare the prices, but I know choices are pretty limited down here in the RGV where I live.

What I really need most is to cool off all the area where that duct work is.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I never installed it in my house, but have read that dusty attics reduce the effectiveness of it over time, and that loss of effectiveness supposedly isn't trivial, but if you got it cheap and don't mind the labor, you'll still save money in the long run, probably. It's just that in 5-10 years it may only be half as effective (I don't know the exact number - I just pulled that out of my butt... lol).

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It sounds easy. I would definitely look into getting some helpers from outside of home depo

12. Falcons Talon

Sheeeet...I live in the RGV. My entire region is like thr Home Depot parking lot of the United States!

#32 Falcons Talon, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
  13. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Guy at work told me that his radiant barrier blocks a lot of his cell reception. Like he has to be close to a wall or go outside to get good coverage. Not sure about that reliability.

14. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

get roof replaced and have radiant barrier installed on the decking add ridge vents then increase your attic insulation. Have you had any hail recently??

15. Falcons Talon

No hail that I can remember in the last 15 years.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I put this stuff in my attic a few years ago and there was a noticeable difference. It's a PITA, though. Get an electric stapler.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I figured youd just take your helicopter up where the air is thinner and cooler if you wanted to cool down.

18. Falcons Talon

Damnit. I ordered the manual. I thought about the electric. I should've just gone with my first thought.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I installed it in the attic OF my chopper, obviously.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This has been my experience when I visit my parents' house as they have the foil. I rarely get any reception when I'm over. I would say you need a landline or VoIP for a reliable phone.