1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Tyreek Smith went to Tech. Who's next on the radar?

2. AFS

AFS Member

Nobody else for 2019. Sampson is going after PGs hard in the 2020 class (LJ Cryer, Jamal Shead, Reece Beakman, and others) and has offered a few bigs as well.

3. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Got Shead

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

5. AFS

AFS Member

Armoni Brooks announced he is staying in the NBA Draft and won't be back. Big loss.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

wow that is a big loss. good for him though. he must have gotten a ton of great feedback.

roster is made of a majority 1st or 2nd year players now.

looks like caleb mills is going to have a huge immediate opportunity right out the gate

#2106 YOLO, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
  7. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I agree this is a big loss. Wish him the best. Brooks has tons of potential and in the right system could eventually do well in the NBA. Maybe G League to start with or overseas. I don't blame him for trying to get paid ASAP. He is a hell of a shooter and decent at getting rebounds. Needs to work at ball handling and taking it to the basket. I hope it all falls into place for him. Is anybody expecting him to get drafted?

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

if he wasn't getting drafted and got enough feedback to make him believe so, i honestly don't think he would of kept his name in the draft still. making g-league money is not much and neither are a lot of the overseas leagues. I doubt that's what hes passing up another big year at UH to do bc he would of been one of the go to guys. he's an elite shooter which seems to be the big ticket these days to get your foot in the door at the very least

9. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

With only 2 rounds and 30 picks per round only 60 kids are going to get drafted. Who has the best chance getting drafted, Brooks or Corey Davis Jr.?

10. AFS

AFS Member

The answer should be Davis, but I think the answer is actually Brooks. I don't think Brooks stays in the draft unless a team promised that they would draft him.

11. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I hope you are right. The mock drafts that I could find online that included the second round did not show either Davis or Brooks being drafted. They did not even show them as being on the bubble. Hoping for the best for both of them. They are both a little undersized but I can see a lot of potential in both of them.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Both guys need to work on their ball handling, but now Corey can take it to the basket and Brooks can't but if they feel like he can develop his ball handling to go with his shooting then he has a chance to make it eventually. I just don't see the upside to getting picked in the 2nd round or not at all especially with the amount of underclassmen in the draft in recent years.

Not only does he have underclassmen to squeeze him out of being selected but we know there are usually 10-12 European players selected every year. I don't get him not coming back unless his family desperately needs the income he can get playing overseas.

13. AFS

AFS Member

Every interview he did prior to his workout with the Kings was him talking about coming back to UH next year. It wasn't until after the workout with the Kings that he decided to stay in the draft. The Kings have three second round picks. I gotta think that after his workout, the Kings called him up and promised to draft him with one of their second rounders, which is why he decided to stay. Even if he stayed for his senior season, he would never be more than a second round pick (he's undersized and mediocre defensively).

14. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Dotson was a 2nd round pick and Rob Gray went undrafted and he's not as good as either one of them.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

neither of them are elite shooters so they're completely different players at different positions. those two are not indicative of his position in this draft

16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Not a good decision. He is probably not NBA caliber. He just passed up a great senior season for himself and this hurts the team as well.

6’3 with no handles and his shot disappears at crunch time. Shame.

17. AFS

AFS Member

I agree with you. But Brooks seems very level-headed and mature, and I feel like he wouldn't make the decision to stay in the draft unless he had some information that he would get drafted.

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm super bummed about Brooks but hope he gets drafted. Kid can shoot and that's all you need in today's NBA to have a chance.

airflights92 likes this.