1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boxing] Deontay Wilder bandwagon thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by KingCheetah, Aug 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Not a regular follower of boxing, so I was also wondering about his technique. Seems like he has freakish athleticism but no technique.

dc rock likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If you just watch his KO highlights he always goes into that whirling dervish routine when he has the other guy hurt bad -- his technique isn't the best but it's good enough for 40-0 with 39 KOs.

http://dai.ly/x6fm915

Full fight -- fireworks start in round five -- bring on Joshua it's time for a heavyweight superfight.

[please win your fight Anthony]

Hustle Town and dc rock like this.
  3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I think Wilder should fight Tyson Fury next and Ortiz should fight Joshua. Have Wilder-Joshua next spring.

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Wilder needs to see what happens vs Joshua before even thinking of Tyson Fury. He's not ready for Fury much less Joshua(imo).

Fury awaits the winner of Wilder vs Joshua(assuming AJ takes care of business against Parker).

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Deontay Bomber on TELEMUNDO tonight. Just FYI. :cool:

6. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

England is the home of heavyweight boxing.

7. KingCheetah

Please boxing gods make the fight happen... Regardless of who wins AJ v. Wilder would be so fun -- it's a legit heavyweight superfight.

8. KingCheetah

This is some bullshit.
    _____

Deontay Wilder offered 20% purse for Joshua fight

Deontay Wilder has reportedly been offered a flat fee of 20 percent for his unification fight against IBF/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua, according to Boxingtalk. If this offer is true, then it’s a big hint that Joshua and his management don’t fancy the fight with Deontay. Wilder not even getting a percentage of the gate and pay-per-view sounds bad. I can’t see Wilder and his management ever agreeing to that kind of a one-sided offer from Joshua.

If the Joshua-Wilder fight brings in $80 million, as many believe it will, then offering just $10M to $15M is way too low. Wilder should at least be getting $30M. If Joshua gets $70 million and Wilder just $10M, there’s an imbalance there.

I hate to say it but I saw this coming. I figured that Wilder would be thrown a few scraps when it came to the negotiations by being given a flat fee offer. If this is a take it or leave it offer by Team Joshua, then that’ll make it even worse. I expected that kind of offer as well. I hate when I’m right.

Wilder’s flat fee reportedly does NOT include a split of the gate or PPV. Wilder accepting a 20 percent split would obviously be hard for him to do. It was thought that Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn would at least offer Wilder a 60-40 purse split. But offering an 80-20 split is bad. If Joshua isn’t willing to sweeten the offer considerably for Wilder, then the fight might not happen. It’s common in negotiations for a promoter to give a lowball offer in the initial offer, and then work upwards. The 20 percent offer to Wilder, if true, is REALLY starting low, and it shows you how much Team Joshua values Deontay’s contribution to this fight.

Wilder’s 20 percent split is considerably less than the 33% split former WBO heavyweight champion Joseph Parker received for his unification fight against Joshua last month on March 31. It’s unclear why Joshua’s management have given Wilder less when he’s considered a more popular fighter than Parker in the U.S, and he’s clearly a bigger threat. However, the 20 percent purse split could be Joshua’s promoter’s way of letting Wilder know they’re not interested in the fight.

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2018/04/deontay-wilder-offered-20-purse-for-joshua-fight/

9. KingCheetah

Wut?
    _______

Anthony Joshua Says He Wants Deontay Wilder Now

Anthony Joshua, less than two weeks removed from an iffy performance vs. Joseph Parker, wants to fight Deontay Wilder next, and the titlist who holds three belts said he’s going to make his biggest heavyweight rival a “very good offer that should create a lot of interest.”

Wilder has been clamoring for a fight with Joshua for months, and after Joshua beat Parker and said he wanted either Wilder or Tyson Fury, Wilder said he accepted Joshua’s challenge.

“I am ready to come to the U.K. for my next fight,” Wilder said. “There is nothing on Team Wilder's side to prevent me from fighting you next.”

Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, has gone back and forth on whether Joshua would meet Wilder soon—the latest rumblings have Joshua facing undefeated contender Jarrell Miller this summer, while Dillian Whyte has been adamant about meeting Wilder—but Joshua apparently has made himself clear about wanting Wilder next.

“I want that fight, no doubt about it,” Joshua told Sky Sports. “He was very vocal about wanting the fight before I was, because my objective was to accumulate every single one of the belts. Now I have done that, Wilder's my 100% attention …

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshka...joshua-wants-deontay-wilder-now/#3c7368fd991f

10. KingCheetah

Here we go...
    _____

Deontay Wilder vs. Anthony Joshua Fight for Heavyweight Championship Announced

Deontay Wilder and Anthony Joshua have agreed to terms on a pair of prospective fights, with the first to come in the United Kingdom this fall, Wilder's co-manager Shelly Finkel confirmed to ESPN.com's Dan Rafael on Monday.

"We have agreed to the terms that [Joshua promoter Eddie Hearn] has put out to us for a fight in the UK," Finkel said. "Deontay has accepted his terms to fight in the UK. Deontay sent an email to Joshua [Sunday] night, and I sent one today to Barry Hearn and Eddie telling them that we officially accept the offer to fight under the terms they gave us and to send us the contract."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-fight-for-heavyweight-championship-announced

11. KingCheetah

Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury promise KO wins in entertaining news conference in New York

If the fight between heavyweight world titleholder Deontay Wilder and lineal world champion Tyson Fury is anything close to as entertaining as the 25-minute show they put on Tuesday afternoon, we're all in for a treat.

Wilder and Fury were in full sell mode when they came nose to nose -- several times -- during the second stop of their three-city media tour on the deck of the retired aircraft carrier Intrepid, which is now a sea, air and space museum in Manhattan but on Tuesday hosted a carnival.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...ko-wins-entertaining-news-conference-new-york

12. KingCheetah

The fight is $75 ... have they lost their minds? I'll be surprised if they get 100,000 buys.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

20 quid in the UK. They will get people to pay that easy.

14. KingCheetah

15. VanityHalfBlack

Dude got skooled by Tyson. Like pretty badly. Lucky he got those two knock downs to persuade the judges for a split draw.

16. KingCheetah

17. Fantasma Negro

When I saw him at the weigh-ins I knew it would be a quick fight. He weighed in for this fight at 225, he was 210 for his fight with Fury. I believe if he was 225 for the Fury fight, Fury ain't getting off the canvas.

KingCheetah likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

Yeah something was off with Wilder for the Fury fight -- not sure if he over trained or was ill but weighing in at his lightest ever for a fight was odd.

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Or he was just sharper? I guess one could argue maybe it was because there wasn't a drop in weight like he had for the Fury fight but I dunno.
    I was more impressed by Wilders technique in this fight than his power. I think this was one of his more impressive performances and it had little to do with the knockout. His jab was as crisp as I've ever seen him throw one. His footwork looked slightly better and he just looked much improved.

20. KingCheetah

I think Wilder gets the yips before big fights and gets sloppy/ doesn't pull the trigger on his big punches. The more confident Wilder is the more dangerous he also is -- difficult to think of a harder puncher maybe Francis Ngannou. Scary to think of Wilder hitting someone with MMA gloves.

ferrari77 likes this.